Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 05:30 AM

34,224 posts, read 17,314,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Sure Bob, but did that God awful and at one time unimaginable scene at our nation's Capitol on 1/6 give you confidence that the GOP will be able to rein in that rabble on the right instead of kowtowing to it? I've only seen a few GOP willing to take a stand so no, I don't have ANY confidence. Y'all worry about Afghanistan and I do too but also I worry that it's a blueprint for what we are starting to see here.

A mile different. 1/6 , like CHAZ, are one offs of some wacky people who never came close to goals (unless goal was climbing in windows in odd looking costumes like Trick or Treaters). I'd actually have favored clamping down on both far faster and tougher, btw. (As in giant doses of tear gas, hour after hour, day after day in CHAZ' case. Capital group would have been gone far faster via tear gas, as they would have been trapped by it, making it more effective.).

I haven't forgotten what Afghanistan was really about (vs the nation build p/r spin)-which was truly to get a handle on Mideast terrorist posts, from the front lines, and had you told me, we would go from 2001-2020 w/o further major 9/11 style events, I would not have believed you. However, now that we are abandoning it w/o holding on to any monitoring of the Taliban (Trump basically said he'd incinerate them if they overreached, and dropped MOAB on ISIS), I expect and hope not to see, The Taliban and ISIS to team up in Afghanistan. Brits are saying they may be forced to team up with Russia & China to keep Taliban Afghanistan at bay, btw.

This is vital to Ct, both as we depend on NYC's economy, and our proximity means if they are hit as in 9/11, we suffer large causality counts, also. We will always be a target, so adding a ISIS safe haven w/o threats to the Taliban ongoing, hardly makes me feel safer.

We did not mourn hurt feelings 9/11/2001. We mourned lives lost. Milford lost several, btw, at the Towers. As the song says, and in my case, NO, I Have Not Forgotten.

PS: Civility is all over, btw. I have seen it in many states, both via living in them, and business travel.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 08-23-2021 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 12:13 PM

35,193 posts, read 57,382,720 times
Please stop the off topic discussion and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 08-23-2021, 02:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,995,962 times
I have seen a couple of articles talking about how a Republican won a seat at the state level in a district that Biden won by 25 percentage points. Special elections are hard to analyze because they don't really have normal turnout, but some have suggested that this is one sign (among others) that the political environment is moving toward favoring the Republican Party over the Democratic Party for 2022.

I think that right now, the first party that can offer a critical mass of people something reasonable will really come out ahead. I don't know if that will happen this cycle. Both parties are so bad at a higher level that they are only really kept afloat by how bad the other party is. It really comes down to voting against what we fear more, rather than any positive reason for voting for a party. We are becoming a failed state and we would probably do well to revitalize our own society before we try to export our values and way of life to others, as we tried to do in Afghanistan.

I think that in a state like Connecticut, anything that reduces the power of the Democratic Party is a good thing, because that party is ruining the state. That might not be true in other states but this is a Connecticut thread. As to whether this is part of a national trend, time will tell.

Last edited by dazzleman; 08-23-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-24-2021, 11:49 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,974,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think that in a state like Connecticut, anything that reduces the power of the Democratic Party is a good thing, because that party is ruining the state. That might not be true in other states but this is a Connecticut thread. As to whether this is part of a national trend, time will tell.
Exactly right, I'm center-right and from what I hear and read about CT Democrats in terms of policies, makes me cringe. Having Republicans to counterbalance some of the so called 'progressive' ideas is going to be critical.

Furthermore, CT needs to decide whether its a New England state or part of the NYC led Tri-State area, if it's the latter then I see it going the way of NY/NJ which means higher taxes, uglier architecture, higher density etc.

Despite it's liberal reputation, Massachusetts has elected numerous GOP governors including the current governor (my kind of Republican) which has led to a reasonable taxation. Most importantly, I see and like where my tax dollars are going. New Hampshire, another wonderful state, does not have income taxes, although it has other taxes, however it has been able to provide critical services and maintain a high quality of life.

I hope the CT GOP can get it's act together. Despite not living in CT, I pay plenty property and other taxes -- I hope those funds are being used to build infrastructure, increase business competitiveness, preservation of the beautiful towns and cities/the environment rather than spending dollars on failed policies in the failing larger cities (Bridgeport, Hartford etc.) of the State.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

Despite it's liberal reputation, Massachusetts has elected numerous GOP governors including the current governor (my kind of Republican) which has led to a reasonable taxation. Most importantly, I see and like where my tax dollars are going. New Hampshire, another wonderful state, does not have income taxes, although it has other taxes, however it has been able to provide critical services and maintain a high quality of life.

Baker is an excellent governor and even finer man. Met him at a military send-off event a few years back. He NEVER misses one even if it means saying no to political events, and his emotions that day were heart-felt. It was obvious he felt honored being there.

Such old school character and no huge ego is difficult to find in an era favoring a p/r style image in politics.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Baker is an excellent governor and even finer man. Met him at a military send-off event a few years back. He NEVER misses one even if it means saying no to political events, and his emotions that day were heart-felt. It was obvious he felt honored being there.

Such old school character and no huge ego is difficult to find in an era favoring a p/r style image in politics.
Agreed! He is a no-nonsense technocrat who gets things done. I am very lucky to have moved back to MA during his administration.

You're right about Baker being an old-school character. While I was in CT, I was following Mark Boughton and Erin Stewart very closely. I can't claim to know too much about all of their views however they looked much better than the unelectable that GOP put up for the Governorship.

Up until the recent Lamont surrender to the 'progressives' I was positively inclined towards him and his handling of COVID, holding the line on tax increases.

I have always believed that CT has been underrated by many. Up until the recent run-up in real estate prices, I believed that that buying a house was an excellent value, public education is top-notch (not in the Cities though), Quality of Life is terrific (especially if you compare it to NYC) and there are a good number of corporations/business activities in the state.

If we can get a law and order, business-friendly GOP candidate in the Governors seat, CT will take off in every key economic indicator and outpace NY/NJ.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

If we can get a law and order, business-friendly GOP candidate in the Governors seat, CT will take off in every key economic indicator and outpace NY/NJ.
Agreed, with one more pre-req.

We need a pro LEO governor.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed, with one more pre-req.

We need a pro LEO governor.
Absolutely 100% -- I rolled that into 'law and order' however I take your point.

Although my interactions with LEO have been minimal, mostly due to property-related issues, I have founds the Greenwich, Fairfield PDs to be exceptionally professional. I'm glad that they are protecting our communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut