Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 06:20 AM

4,719 posts, read 6,009,509 times

Advertisements

Derby to Canton would be a straight shot up Route 8 and then you could get off north of 84 onto Route 4 or Route 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 06:51 AM

89 posts, read 125,957 times
Jay gave you very good directions but you could also get off at the East Main St exit in Torrington and then head up rt 202 right into Canton. You would hit a little more traffic going that way though. Either route would be an easy ride except during the few snow days that we have. When it's raining down south often it will be snowing in Harwinton.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:15 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,226,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Though it’s about 50 miles from Derby to Canton, your commute would be a pretty consistent hour each way. You’d go straight up Route 8 to exit 42 - Route 118 east to Route 4 east to Route 179 north which takes you to Collinsville, which is the center of Canton. I assume you are going to one of the car dealers on Route 44 which are a couple miles past Collinsville closer to the Simsbury border. This is before you get any of the Hartford area traffic.

The nice part of this trip is that you are going against traffic so you won’t hit much, if any traffic. The bad part is that it would be difficult in inclement winter weather. You are going up into the northern Naugatuck River Valley and then up into the hills east of the river. It’s a beautiful drive though and takes not only though much of the Naugatuck Valley, you go through Harwinton, Burlington and most of Canton. It’s quite pretty. Jay
You assume correctly. Same brand I am with now. Going Saturday to look into it.Yeah, the winter snow is definitely an issue. Same now but being there for 16 years gives me tenure and flexibility. In potential bad storms, I can stay home and log in. Going to a new place won't afford me the same thing. But I can't base a decision on winter weather. We were thinking of selling pre pandemic and moving away out of state but maybe we can relocate closer to Canton if I take the job. Admittedly, I know nothing of the areas over there.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:48 AM

35,296 posts, read 57,495,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpct View Post
Jay gave you very good directions but you could also get off at the East Main St exit in Torrington and then head up rt 202 right into Canton. You would hit a little more traffic going that way though. Either route would be an easy ride except during the few snow days that we have. When it's raining down south often it will be snowing in Harwinton.
Yes, that is another option and may actually be better going to Route 44 since you avoid Collinsville. But you do have a lot of signals along East Main through Torringford which is what the east side of Torrington is called. The OP would have to try it to see which is faster or more to his liking. Thanks for pointing that out. Jay

Old 08-24-2021, 09:04 AM

35,296 posts, read 57,495,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
You assume correctly. Same brand I am with now. Going Saturday to look into it.Yeah, the winter snow is definitely an issue. Same now but being there for 16 years gives me tenure and flexibility. In potential bad storms, I can stay home and log in. Going to a new place won't afford me the same thing. But I can't base a decision on winter weather. We were thinking of selling pre pandemic and moving away out of state but maybe we can relocate closer to Canton if I take the job. Admittedly, I know nothing of the areas over there.
Canton is in the beautiful Farmington River Valley. It would be a great place to live. So idyllic. You could live in one of the other Farmington River Valley towns like Avon, Simsbury, Farmington, Granby or Burlington. All are very nice. If I remember correctly you live in a condo now. There are some really nice condo complexes in these towns. Check out listings to get an idea of price, taxes and HOA fees.

If you want a more affordable area, look at the east side of Torrington which is called Torringford. In between Canton and Torrington is New Hartford which is a beautiful small town. Pretty rural in character. Again, good luck. Jay

Old 08-24-2021, 09:30 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,226,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Canton is in the beautiful Farmington River Valley. It would be a great place to live. So idyllic. You could live in one of the other Farmington River Valley towns like Avon, Simsbury, Farmington, Granby or Burlington. All are very nice. If I remember correctly you live in a condo now. There are some really nice condo complexes in these towns. Check out listings to get an idea of price, taxes and HOA fees.

If you want a more affordable area, look at the east side of Torrington which is called Torringford. In between Canton and Torrington is New Hartford which is a beautiful small town. Pretty rural in character. Again, good luck. Jay
Thanks for all of the info. Yes, a condo, which we like. Thinking of a smaller non condo home this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut