Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 04:13 PM

21,769 posts, read 31,463,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post
I've never heard of anyone in the Trumbull area go to Danbury for any reason. The Trumbull Mall is infinitely safter than it was in the early 1990s. Frankly, I'm baffled by comments that crime is intractable at this mall.
You’ve never heard of anyone from Trumbull go to Danbury? That’s nonsense. I lived in Shelton for a time and my neighbors would always visit Danbury, and particularly the Danbury mall, as would we. We’d also go to Danbury (Brookfield) for Costco, since the Milford Costco was always a zoo.

Do you have anything to back your claim that the “Trumbull mall is infinitely safer than it was in the early 1990’s”? I don’t believe that to be the case - at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 04:16 PM

14,130 posts, read 14,110,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You’ve never heard of anyone from Trumbull go to Danbury? That’s nonsense. I lived in Shelton for a time and my neighbors would always visit Danbury, and particularly the Danbury mall, as would we. We’d also go to Danbury (Brookfield) for Costco, since the Milford Costco was always a zoo.

Do you have anything to back your claim that the “Trumbull mall is infinitely safer than it was in the early 1990’s”? I don’t believe that to be the case - at all.
People in lower FFC don’t go to Danbury often especially if live by 95 or Merritt. Stamford, Sono Collection, Trumbull, Milford where everyone goes.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:51 PM

35,281 posts, read 57,463,274 times
Quote:

I would say your neighbors are the exceptions rather than the rule. I don’t anyone from Fairfield that shops at the Danbury Mall with any regularity. Getting to Danbury from the coastline is not convenient. It mostly involves either difficult back roads or congested non expressways like Route 7 or 25. It’s just not worth it. Jay

Old 09-20-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
People in lower FFC don’t go to Danbury often especially if live by 95 or Merritt. Stamford, Sono Collection, Trumbull, Milford where everyone goes.
Trumbull is not “lower Fairfield County”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would say your neighbors are the exceptions rather than the rule. I don’t anyone from Fairfield that shops at the Danbury Mall with any regularity. Getting to Danbury from the coastline is not convenient. It mostly involves either difficult back roads or congested non expressways like Route 7 or 25. It’s just not worth it. Jay
I never said regularly - but that poster stated “I’ve never heard anybody from Trumbull go to Danbury for any reason”. That’s absolute nonsense.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:40 PM

192 posts, read 99,569 times
Quote:

I don't think Westfield is going to be publishing crime statistics.

But putting aside my personal experiences at the mall both today and 30 years ago, the entirety of Main Street in Bridgeport is orders of magnitude better. Crime statistics clearly show North Bridgeport is much safer today than it was during the crack epidemic. Are we to believe that Bridgeport as a whole has dramatically improved while the Trumbull Mall is much worse?

But regardless, I couldn't imagine driving an hour or more just to go grocery shopping to save a few bucks. Perhaps we're encountering a class divide here. Certainly, in 1993 when the Costco in Milford opened, the Trumbull mall was great and perfectly safe. I didn't even know there was a mall in Danbury in 1993.

What is most baffling about this entire discussion is coastal Fairfield County is dramatically safer and desirable than it was 30 years ago. There are times I'm honestly surprised by the level of wealth and development.

There is really an inordinate amount of negativity in most every thread regarding Connecticut, from every angle.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:52 PM

192 posts, read 99,569 times
Quote:
Trumbull is not “lower Fairfield County”.

I never said regularly - but that poster stated “I’ve never heard anybody from Trumbull go to Danbury for any reason”. That’s absolute nonsense.
The northern border of Trumbull is 9 miles from the ocean. How do you define the word "lower"?

What I find amusing about this entire discussion is Danbury has dramatically changed, and not for the better. Danbury is second only to Bridgeport as being the only two municipalities in Fairfield County with very low median household income. Like Waterbury, it has become a Section 8 destination.

While Bridgeport has improved, Danbury has declined.

I still cannot fathom why someone who lives in Trumbull would go even to the city unless they know someone there.

Why don't you tell us why Danbury is such a far superior place to Trumbull.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:36 PM

6,981 posts, read 11,002,348 times
Quote:
The northern border of Trumbull is 9 miles from the ocean. How do you define the word "lower"?

What I find amusing about this entire discussion is Danbury has dramatically changed, and not for the better. Danbury is second only to Bridgeport as being the only two municipalities in Fairfield County with very low median household income. Like Waterbury, it has become a Section 8 destination.

I still cannot fathom why someone who lives in Trumbull would go even to the city unless they know someone there.

He said the Danbury Mall is better than the Trumbull Mall.

He never said that Danbury is a better town or better place to live than Trumbull.

The OP's question.has long since been answered. Trumbull is a great town that has a Mall that isn't that great. Enjoy the town and if you choose, avoid the Mall, which is isolated to one small section. /thread

Old 09-21-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
He said the Danbury Mall is better than the Trumbull Mall.

He never said that Danbury is a better town or better place to live than Trumbull.

The OP's question.has long since been answered. Trumbull is a great town that has a Mall that isn't that great. Enjoy the town and if you choose, avoid the Mall, which is isolated to one small section. /thread
Thank you. It seems the point of the discussion has gotten lost in translation and a few are becoming fairly defensive of Trumbull as a community, which is not at all what has been said. In fact, I much prefer Trumbull to Danbury as a community - but I much prefer the Danbury Mall to the Trumbull Mall (for the third time).

Also, re: lower FFC, anyone who posts here often - or who lives in southern CT - pretty much knows “lower Fairfield County” is synonymous with the Gold Coast. That doesn’t include Trumbull. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_(Connecticut)

Old 09-21-2021, 05:37 AM

6,981 posts, read 11,002,348 times
Quote:
Thank you. It seems the point of the discussion has gotten lost in translation and a few are becoming fairly defensive of Trumbull as a community, which is not at all what has been said. In fact, I much prefer Trumbull to Danbury as a community - but I much prefer the Danbury Mall to the Trumbull Mall (for the third time).

Also, re: lower FFC, anyone who posts here often - or who lives in southern CT - pretty much knows “lower Fairfield County” is synonymous with the Gold Coast. That doesn’t include Trumbull. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_(Connecticut)
Yes, nobody has criticized Trumbull as a community, just the mall and justifiably so. I go to that mall because it's close to me, but I had my own bad experience there and with the decline in quality of the stores and closings, there is less reason to go there. The main reason I go there now is to indulge my occasional craving for Taco Bell. I don't know the Danbury Mall well so I will take your word for it on that mall.

I agree about lower FFC. I'm not even sure Fairfield could be considered lower FFC. Maybe culturally, but geographically Fairfield is certainly in the eastern half of the county and not really the lower part. I used to consider it that last reasonably commutable town on the New Haven train line, but with the serious decline in Metro-North service over the last decade, I don't' even consider it reasonably commutable anymore. Prior to COVID, property values in Fairfield were declining and houses were getting harder to sell.

Trumbull is definitely not part of lower FFC. It's one of the Fairfield County towns furthest away from the state line.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:49 AM

7,307 posts, read 3,979,666 times
Quote:

The FCounty coastline runs on a northeast to southwest plane with about a 1° latitude decline so yes, Trumbull could geographically be considered lower Fairfield County, but it's not THE Lower Fairfield County, where all the rich people live. I've often referred to it as the The Stub, aka The Gold Coast. Nutmeggars can be very particular about this and they won't waste any time in letting you know. Some will go as far as setting hard defined boundries. I once mentioned Fairfield as part of the Stub and almost got my head torn off for it. THey said it was only Greenwich to Darien/New Canaan and 32.64% of Wilton and 63.78% of Norwalk. I'm the one who came up with the term!!
Trumbull's southern border is a pitching wedge stroke on a par 3 away from LI Sound. You could throw that far, so I don't see the harm in calling it lower FCounty.

Danbury is often overlooked on here, if even ever looked at all. I happen to think it's a beautiful region and Candlewood is the crown jewel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut