Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 07:45 PM

34,107 posts, read 17,167,846 times

Advertisements

My picks, in order.

1. 2012 Sandy hook teachers save lives, especially those like Vickie Soto, who deliberately used her body to shield her kids while hiding them in closets.

2. 1937 Southport, Ct fights off a German Bund attempt to build a children's indoctrination camp. NY & NJ had such camps. Ct did NOT. I am 25% German, and think the Bund members should have been deported btw. Wartime powers would allow it. Their intent was a US based Reich.

3. 1987 The man nicknamed the "Mole" searches for survivors despite major risk to self at L'Ambiance Plaza in Bridgeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 06:44 AM

316 posts, read 131,933 times
Just one note, it was Southbury, not Southport, that fought (figuratively) and expelled the Bund from their town. They were attempting to build the largest training camp in the country there, and the people objected. Half of my family is Jewish, and I am proud and thankful to the people of Southbury for their efforts.

I'm going to think on this for a minute and will probably be adding to the list!! I do adore our performance when the British landed in 1777, they expected a pretty warm welcome when they came ashore at Westport and up through Newtown to Danbury, but instead they found themselves shot at, and encountered more issues after they burned Danbury (side note-if you have a population that is largely ambivalent toward you, don't burn their towns down. It will probably turn them against you).
A discovery of 3 skeletons was made in a Ridgefield home's backyard a couple years ago. They are thought to be Revolutionary soldiers, though testing is still being done to confirm. All of main street has now been given a grant to preserve and fund exploratory digs, so there is a big possibility of finding more in the future. Very, very exciting stuff for me!!

Old 09-14-2021, 07:27 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,967,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My picks, in order.

1. 2012 Sandy hook teachers save lives, especially those like Vickie Soto, who deliberately used her body to shield her kids while hiding them in closets.

2. 1937 Southport, Ct fights off a German Bund attempt to build a children's indoctrination camp. NY & NJ had such camps. Ct did NOT. I am 25% German, and think the Bund members should have been deported btw. Wartime powers would allow it. Their intent was a US based Reich.

3. 1987 The man nicknamed the "Mole" searches for survivors despite major risk to self at L'Ambiance Plaza in Bridgeport.
I'm part German too, and I think the Bund was an abomination. But 1937 was not wartime so I doubt such wartime powers existed at that time. And I suspect that many Bund members were US citizens, which would have precluded their deportation, unless they were naturalized rather than native, and the naturalization could be revoked.

There were some Bund members around where my dad grew up, and the FBI kept a close watch on them during the war years.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:39 AM

506 posts, read 480,225 times
A little further back, I'd go with the "Connecticut Compromise" of 1787. It was made by Roger Sherman at the Constitutional Convention and is the reason why the Congress has a House of Representatives based on population and a Senate based on the states. It's a pretty big deal. Also, during the Revolutionary War George Washington called CT the "provisions state" because we supplied so much to the Continental Army.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:02 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,117,783 times
The Red Coats are Coming! :-)

This is some great history of our state. I'd like to add Nathan Hale's short speech about regretting to have but one life to lose for his country before being hanged by the British in 1776.

Agree about the German's and their Bund organization attempt to tear apart the country with their plans for developing a nationwide network of terrorists.

Israel Putnam's gallantry during the battle of Bunker Hill.

And since I grew up in Simsbury I would add that George Washington's stay at the Pettibone Tavern in Simsbury toward the end of the Revolution.

The hiding of King Charles Charter in the Charter Oak Tree in I think around 1662.

Harriet Tubman and her role in the Underground Railroad.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:26 AM

752 posts, read 557,208 times
I would put Prudence Crandall and her school for African American girls-- the first in the country up there. She opened the school in 1833.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The Red Coats are Coming! :-)

This is some great history of our state. I'd like to add Nathan Hale's short speech about regretting to have but one life to lose for his country before being hanged by the British in 1776.

Agree about the German's and their Bund organization attempt to tear apart the country with their plans for developing a nationwide network of terrorists.

Israel Putnam's gallantry during the battle of Bunker Hill.

And since I grew up in Simsbury I would add that George Washington's stay at the Pettibone Tavern in Simsbury toward the end of the Revolution.

The hiding of King Charles Charter in the Charter Oak Tree in I think around 1662.

Harriet Tubman and her role in the Underground Railroad.
Plus I believe MLK worked a few summers in college at a Simsbury tobacco farm.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm part German too, and I think the Bund was an abomination. But 1937 was not wartime so I doubt such wartime powers existed at that time. And I suspect that many Bund members were US citizens, which would have precluded their deportation, unless they were naturalized rather than native, and the naturalization could be revoked.

There were some Bund members around where my dad grew up, and the FBI kept a close watch on them during the war years.
You may find this interesting. German sabotage started before WW1. Black tom's Island most well known.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Invasion.../dp/0062307568

Old 09-14-2021, 04:41 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,967,413 times
Quote:
You may find this interesting. German sabotage started before WW1. Black tom's Island most well known.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Invasion.../dp/0062307568
That is interesting. I think the US was more successful in preventing German sabotage in World War II than in World War I. Of course, German activities against the US backfired by helping to bring the US into the war on the allies' side, which doomed Germany in a war they may very well have won.

As far as Connecticut goes, I would be interested to find out when Connecticut abolished slavery, and if it was one of the first states to do so.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:03 PM

6,345 posts, read 11,117,783 times
Quote:
Plus I believe MLK worked a few summers in college at a Simsbury tobacco farm.
Absolutely correct. I think it was at one of the Culbro farms which were prominent in town until the 1970's. Slowly died off after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut