Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 05:42 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,243,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmarc View Post
Our house is about 2,600 square feet. We have a pool and AC so we’d likely need a similar sized system. Can I ask how much more it was? Did you consider any other systems other than Generac? If so, which ones?

Also how does it work? It sounds like the system detects the power failure and automatically switches over. Is it really that simple? What happens when the power returns? Do you have to switch over anything? Are there any maintenance costs involved? Just trying to get an idea what to expect. Thanks
Other brands include Kohler, Cummins, Briggs & Stratton, Honeywell.

When your power goes out, it senses the power interruption. Within a few seconds, it disconnects your house from the grid, starts up the generator, and connects it to the house power. When power it restored, it switches from generator to grid power and shuts the generator down.

Maintenance is typical of internal combustion engines. It will run itself weekly for a few minutes to bring it up to operating temp and you should check the oil and coolant levels monthly. A tech should come in once or twice a year depending on use to change the oil, check and clean filters, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 05:09 AM

83,564 posts, read 75,484,590 times
Quote:
My wife is worried about losing power this winter. I am handicapped and rely on electricity to go up and down stairs (chair lifts to second floor and to garage), sit comfortably in a chair (lift recliner), lay comfortably in bed at night (power bed) and to enter and exit our home (garage doors).

Between Covid part issues and demand, the wait is huge. Also to file with the towns. Everything is done online and the process is a crawl.

Friend of mine in Greenwich just got a whole house generator. Left a deposit last year, finally got installed last month. (10 months!). Carpenters, Electrician, & gas company involved in the process..

Quote:
Our house is about 2,600 square feet. We have a pool and AC so we’d likely need a similar sized system. Can I ask how much more it was? Did you consider any other systems other than Generac? If so, which ones?

Also how does it work? It sounds like the system detects the power failure and automatically switches over. Is it really that simple? What happens when the power returns? Do you have to switch over anything? Are there any maintenance costs involved? Just trying to get an idea what to expect. Thanks
I heard horror stories about going with another brand other than Generac. I forget the brand but oil started leaking during a power outage and no representative could come out right away. Not only that but it took a month to fix. Stick with a reputable company when investing that much money.

Yes, when power comes back on it switches back automatically.

It runs a self test every month but once a year or so you really need to have someone come out and do maintenance like change oil, ect.

Don't let anyone give you quotes or estimates over the phone or internet. No way. They have no idea whats involved.

Are you in a flood zone? How far is the pad from the meter or main disconnect? What size meter and electric service do you have? Are you using Propane or Nat gas? There's more involved than just size of home. Get a few electricians out there and get some quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut