Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 12:30 PM

464 posts, read 315,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Fair point. But I think if these new regional conferences do form, interest will be greater as the matchups are more meaningful. UConn vs BC is more interesting that UConn vs. Tulane.
For the local market I would agree with you, problem is New England doesn’t have a lot of casual college football fans. The other issue is New England doesn’t have a rabid fan base.

Look at MLB baseball, it’s very regional (exception: playoffs). How many of you stop to watch a random White Sox / A’s game?

Who is going to care about a random UConn BC football game outside New England? So they make a regional network, sure, but when the game is on at 2pm on a Saturday and opposite that is much better talent/games like Georgia vs LSU, I know what I’d watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 05:17 PM

319 posts, read 281,929 times
Clemson owns the ACC. Huskies are the UVA Cavaliers of Connecticut, great at basketball but football just ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:42 PM

1,762 posts, read 1,178,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Saw them on tv vs UMass. UMass ended 16 game losing streak vs UConn, who lost 11th straight.

How did they go from a getting better to the point of competing against nationally known teams to this awful level so quickly?

They have Yale coming up, so perhaps they can handle them.

UMass-UConn today looked like small college football, in terms of quality (sar).

Hoping their loyal fans can assist in explaining the downfall.
Coaches are everything in college. They made a series of bad hires. Paul Pasquilni, Bob Diaco, a retread, seemingly burnt out Randy Edsall. The change in conferences didn't help but they stayed relevant in the AAC for awhile so I'm not sure if that's such a big factor.

Oh.....and hiring another retread on his way down like Jim Mora is probably another bad hire.

Oh, and the northeast isn't really a hotbed of high school talent either. Nowhere near the south or Ohio or California, etc.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:44 PM

34,219 posts, read 17,309,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
For the local market I would agree with you, problem is New England doesn’t have a lot of casual college football fans. The other issue is New England doesn’t have a rabid fan base.

Look at MLB baseball, it’s very regional (exception: playoffs). How many of you stop to watch a random White Sox / A’s game?

Who is going to care about a random UConn BC football game outside New England? So they make a regional network, sure, but when the game is on at 2pm on a Saturday and opposite that is much better talent/games like Georgia vs LSU, I know what I’d watch.
Agreed. Only alumni tune in to regional games when teams are not top notch.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Dumb move. Does UConn really want to align itself with Liberty University, even if it is just for football? Do they really want to pay to fly the team out to New Mexico? Do they think having Marshall, UTEP, and Louisiana Tech is going to get people in seats?

Do the right thing. Kill the program. The rest of your teams will benefit.
The program has existed for 100 years. They are not killing football. Never, never, never. Why do people keep saying that?

Old 12-09-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
The program has existed for 100 years. They are not killing football. Never, never, never. Why do people keep saying that?
A long existence isn’t a good reason to continue something that costs the school millions of dollars per year. College football doesn’t exist to keep 52 student athletes or alumni “happy”. It exists as a main driver of profitability for a lot of schools across this country. If it doesn’t make money it’s worth considering getting rid of, or at talk about it and have it be an option on the table.

By your logic I should continue to pay for a gym membership I never use because “I’ve had it forever”

Old 12-09-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
A long existence isn’t a good reason to continue something that costs the school millions of dollars per year. College football doesn’t exist to keep 52 student athletes or alumni “happy”. It exists as a main driver of profitability for a lot of schools across this country. If it doesn’t make money it’s worth considering getting rid of, or at talk about it and have it be an option on the table.

By your logic I should continue to pay for a gym membership I never use because “I’ve had it forever”
A flagship state college in America without a football team isn't going to happen. Never. Certainly not one that used to routinely draw 30,000--40,000 when they had a competitive team. 8-10 years of losing doesn't erase a 100 year old program. They can win again with the right coach.

Also most college sports lose money. Volleyball. Get rid of that too?

Some things in life are about more than just simple dollars and cents.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
A flagship state college in America without a football team isn't going to happen. Never.
What?

[url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_non-football_programs[/url]

and this, pretty decent sized list:

[url]https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_defunct_college_football_teams[/url]

Thanks for your insightful post tho. Off the top of my head U of Vermont and Boston University both cut football. You can see the lists for all the details.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:11 PM

184 posts, read 107,853 times
Quote:
A flagship state college in America without a football team isn't going to happen. Never. Certainly not one that used to routinely draw 30,000--40,000 when they had a competitive team. 8-10 years of losing doesn't erase a 100 year old program. They can win again with the right coach.

Also most college sports lose money. Volleyball. Get rid of that too?

Some things in life are about more than just simple dollars and cents.
So this is quite misleading post.

Yes, UConn has had football for over 100 years. But for only the last 20 has it been a division 1 team, prior to that playing at lower levels.

Best i can figure out since they went D1, they have gone 96-136. They were decent from 2004-2010 making 5 minor bowl games and having 8-5 type seasons playing in a pretty paired down Big East conference that had lost its top team in Miami along with Virgina Tech which was still a national player at that point if memory serves. Good portion of those wins in those seasons were coming against non-conference teams like Temple, Akron, Duke, Sisters of the Blind, etc. Teams that are typically in the same boat as UConn is today, historically bad. So yeah, your typical good record but cant beat anybody with a pulse type of teams.

Look, I am fine with them keeping the program, but move it back down a level, preferably non-athletic scholarship, and you can keep your 100 year tradition going while saving millions of dollars.

Current and future state of football as a Division 1 program, pretending that there is some magical top conference that is going to take you in and pay you millions of dollars to play football is a dream, and not one worth chasing.

And lets not play the revenue vs. non revenue generating sport game. Because football is what causes cuts to other programs at schools across the country.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:55 PM

8,503 posts, read 4,607,548 times
UConn is trying to compete at a football level that is basically far above it. It will never be able to have sustained success in FBS and will suffer annual losses in the many millions year after year. Only the top P5 schools can be successful on the field and in the accounting books. UConn is never going to get a P5 invite and be one of those schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut