Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 07:06 PM

34,272 posts, read 17,341,839 times

Advertisements

Saw them on tv vs UMass. UMass ended 16 game losing streak vs UConn, who lost 11th straight.

How did they go from a getting better to the point of competing against nationally known teams to this awful level so quickly?

They have Yale coming up, so perhaps they can handle them.

UMass-UConn today looked like small college football, in terms of quality (sar).

Hoping their loyal fans can assist in explaining the downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 07:49 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,165,276 times
My theory about this is that with the implosion of the Big East they lost their ability to recruit better talent. Literally the moment the Big East fell apart, the slide into irrelevance began. Sure hope they can solve this problem pretty soon. Right now I am watching my second favorite college football team Texas A&M winning against Alabama at the half which is a shock. Sure wish UConn could get back to respectability and also being a ranked team again.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:31 PM

I assume they play in a 80% empty stadium now.

This level of drop in quality is incredible.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:34 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,165,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I assume they play in a 80% empty stadium now.

This level of drop in quality is incredible.
Yes. What makes this even more astounding is that after their transition from a 1AA program to 1A they became the top team to transition to a winning program quicker than any other team. By that I mean getting a winning program and making bowl games. South Florida also became a quick success in the same manner but I seem to recall UConn did it faster.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:36 PM

UConn thought it could clone the Auriemma miracle. Found out it can't.

Big time women's bb does not translate into big time sports elsewhere.

UConn had a good couple of years in football. Now its back to its long-term pattern.

Nothing wrong with that, except for the fact its stadium is far larger than its need now.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:11 PM

11,361 posts, read 19,035,749 times
The Northeast in general has never really been a college football hotbed especially since the Ivy League dropped to Division 1AA decades ago....basically Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse and BC, maybe Maryland and (big maybe) Rutgers; compare this to how big a deal it is in the South and West. Like UConn, SUNY Buffalo is trying to ramp up to being a national 1A team, they were actually ranked 25th last year and got into a bowl game but this year they are meh and my daughter (freshman there who got into following them) says their stadium (small by Division 1A standards but still 30,000 seats) is half empty like with UConn.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 10-10-2021 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 02:07 PM

184 posts, read 108,039 times
The football program should be shut down, or moved back down a level. That is the only fix. UMass should do the same thing.

Some schools need to realize what their bread & butter sports are. For UConn its basketball. It will always be basketball. To keep throwing $$$ at a football program in hopes that it could be nationally relevant will eventually bleed dollars and wins from its good sports teams. Its a vicious cycle.

The sooner they cut it, the better off all the other athletic programs will be.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:13 PM

11,361 posts, read 19,035,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
The football program should be shut down, or moved back down a level. That is the only fix. UMass should do the same thing.

Some schools need to realize what their bread & butter sports are. For UConn its basketball. It will always be basketball. To keep throwing $$$ at a football program in hopes that it could be nationally relevant will eventually bleed dollars and wins from its good sports teams. Its a vicious cycle.

The sooner they cut it, the better off all the other athletic programs will be.

My alma mater, RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) is like that. Division I in hockey but Division III in everything else and intends to stay that way.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:25 PM

184 posts, read 108,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
My alma mater, RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) is like that. Division I in hockey but Division III in everything else and intends to stay that way.
Northeastern, my alma mater dropped its football program, maybe 10 years ago. It was the only program at the school that was not division 1. Now all the other programs are seeing more sustained success, including the main ones, hockey and basketball, then they ever have.

You cannot have sustained football success anymore. And schools like UConn which never had it to begin with are fooling themselves.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:04 AM

205 posts, read 165,856 times
Believe it or not, it all stems back to the actions of our former AG turned Senator: Richard Blumenthal. When BC (along with Miami, Va Tech, and West Virginia) decided to leave the Big East, Blumenthal tried to sue BC for the damages caused by them leaving. In retaliation, BC made sure that UConn could never join the ACC every time it expanded. The ACC was really UConn’s ticket to success (the B1G was never an option since you’d have to be in a state connected to another with a school in it). Instead, they ended up in the AAC, which never seemed a good fit as there were only 3 schools (plus part-timer Navy) within 1000 miles of Storrs. Eventually, UConn decided that the AAC was damaging its basketball product too much, and joined Big East 2.0. The AAC wouldn’t let them stay for football only, so here they are an independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut