Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 11:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,449,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I finally accepted a job in CT. As a lot of you know I had offers in the past but turned them down. I really needed to get closer to home as I have ZERO work life balance right now. Leaving during a pandemic and working in an industry hit hard by parts shortages and new car shortages is a little scary right now, but I decided enough was enough. I am stepping down from my management position to asst manager. Paycut but job is 3 miles from my house. An opportunity presented itself and I figured I would go for it. Money is not everything. To not be on the Merritt for 2-4 hours a day is worth it. To not get up at 4 to be in by 630 and getting home by 730 -8 pm is worth it at this point in my life. Same car line, same industry, better hours. My 2019 car has 77,000 miles on it. I got blinded by the money and pretty much killed myself daily. I have lost 6 key members of my staff over the last 12 months due to being burnt out or just not wanting to stay in this business. Then trying to find replacements is very difficult. So I had it. Done.
Starting new place in November. Just mentioning it because most of the regular posters know some of my past posts. Nervous but looking forward to being able to have more time home and seeing my wife again.

It sounds like you made a good decision. It is easy to get burned out and that commute sounds awful. I worked at a large hospital for 37 years, second shift. I went in at 3:30pm and often it was 9pm before I could take my break. I rarely left before 1am and was burned out by Wednesday. I couldn’t even wind down on the weekends since they flew by and I dreaded going back on Monday. I cut back to part-time, working Tuesday, and Friday thru Sunday, with 3 weekdays off. I did this until I retired and it was great. It sounds to me like your life now is mainly drive, work and sleep, with little time for any relaxation. I think after you make this change you will look back and wonder how you did that commute for so long. I hope you are as happy as I was when I made my change.

I live out of Ct now and it is so strange to see car dealers’ lots so empty. I wonder how sales personnel are surviving.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by retiree2011; 10-14-2021 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 02:06 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,225,043 times
Thanks all!

Old 11-12-2021, 05:45 AM

6,664 posts, read 5,074,495 times
I missed this thread last month - congrats!! Great move for you, hope it's going well!

Old 11-12-2021, 01:39 PM

35,260 posts, read 57,444,099 times
Quote:
Thanks all!
How about an update? Have you started yet? How’s it going? Jay

Old 11-14-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How about an update? Have you started yet? How’s it going? Jay
Going well. Started 2 weeks ago. The auto Industry is really being hit hard by the chip shortage and parts shortage so I was leary about switching jobs right now. It's definitely a lot different than my previous place. Nice people, the valley is definitely a different work environment than Westchester County is. Not as busy as it was down there but steady. For the first week I was really having a hard time with the decision primarily due to the fact that I gave up a high level position with a high salary. But I will make it work out. I think we will be ok. The extra time I have now has been really good so far. I'm trading in my Acura in 2 weeks for a Honda so I will be saving myself 300 per month on a car payment so that's good. So I left the Acura dealer for a Honda dealership in case you could not figure it out.
Once I let go of the money thing, I'll realize what I am gaining back. I don't miss that commute at all.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:32 PM

35,260 posts, read 57,444,099 times
Quote:
Going well. Started 2 weeks ago. The auto Industry is really being hit hard by the chip shortage and parts shortage so I was leary about switching jobs right now. It's definitely a lot different than my previous place. Nice people, the valley is definitely a different work environment than Westchester County is. Not as busy as it was down there but steady. For the first week I was really having a hard time with the decision primarily due to the fact that I gave up a high level position with a high salary. But I will make it work out. I think we will be ok. The extra time I have now has been really good so far. I'm trading in my Acura in 2 weeks for a Honda so I will be saving myself 300 per month on a car payment so that's good. So I left the Acura dealer for a Honda dealership in case you could not figure it out.
Once I let go of the money thing, I'll realize what I am gaining back. I don't miss that commute at all.
That’s great. Congratulations. I’m glad it’s going well. I’m sure it will get even better. Sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. Best wishes. Jay

Old 11-15-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That’s great. Congratulations. I’m glad it’s going well. I’m sure it will get even better. Sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. Best wishes. Jay
Thanks Jay!

Old 11-15-2021, 11:45 PM

34,274 posts, read 17,347,957 times
Quote:
. I'm trading in my Acura in 2 weeks for a Honda so I will be saving myself 300 per month on a car payment so that's good. So I left the Acura dealer for a Honda dealership in case you could not figure it out.
I know you said elsewhere the salary change was very large, but bear in mind, the gap is the net, not gross income (likely 70% of gross, roughly), while the $300/mth less in car payments is already truly a net number.

Given your horrible commute for what a decade plus, I like your decision to trade some salary for precious time.

Enjoy!

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 11-16-2021 at 12:46 AM..

Old 11-17-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I know you said elsewhere the salary change was very large, but bear in mind, the gap is the net, not gross income (likely 70% of gross, roughly), while the $300/mth less in car payments is already truly a net number.

Given your horrible commute for what a decade plus, I like your decision to trade some salary for precious time.

Enjoy!
Yeah, I was having a hard time letting go of the salary. But financially we are in good place right now and I was able to walk away from it. I may take a manager position again if one presents itself but it would be in Connecticut this time. I'm definitely not as stressed as I used to be and not as tired either. My hours are 830 to 5. I leave at 810 and get there at 820. Before I was anywhere from 400 am to 430 to get to work at 6 or 630. Now i get up at 630. I didn't realize how much time I was spending in the car. So far so good, hoping it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut