Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 11:04 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times

Advertisements

Nyer here who is looking for advice on renting a house in CT. Where should I start? What cities or towns? Any agencies? Craigslist or other sites seem full of luxury condo ads or manors in Greenwich. Nothing in between?

Basics- house rental. Not apartment, condo, or townhouse. But an entire building. I don't want to share the building even if others are on separate floors. I value privacy and quiet above all.

Purpose- to commute into nyc 3x/week on metro north.

Budget -$1500-2000/monthly. My salary for 2020 is $120k.

Ideal neighborhood- full of trees and grass. 15-20 mins at most drive to the nearest metro north train station.

About me - early 40s, no kids, no spouse. Im saving up $ to buy a house later.

Please let me know if I am delusional or should maybe try NJ/ upstate NY instead. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 11:14 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
What's your max commute time on train?

Old 11-12-2021, 11:52 AM

752 posts, read 552,850 times
I think this is going to be very, very challenging in Fairfield or New Haven County. Perhaps in some of the Valley towns, but that might put you too far on the MetroNorth commute. There are very few standalone homes for rent in Connecticut to begin with, but, at that price, and commutable, is a tall order.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:38 PM

Rental market is tough right now in the NYC suburbs in general. The problem is everyone wants to do the same, on top of unusually low inventory in general. That's a very, very tough budget for a single family home anywhere commutable to NYC. It's not going to be any different in NY/NJ tbh.

One option would be taking the Fairfield Metro or Bridgeport station to NYC. It's not THAT long, and there's some affordable places within striking distance. Shelton, Derby, Ansonia, maybe north Bridgeport.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...57351076_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...74429570_zpid/

If you can up your budget a bit, Norwalk could work. East Norwalk train station is very convenient and it's a nice area.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...58797208_zpid/

You could also take the Harlem line. Danbury could work, but I see NOTHING available in that price range.

I agree with DigitalMilford that the Valley towns (Shelton, Derby, Ansonia, Seymour, etc.) and driving to Fairfield Metro/Bridgeport stations are probably your closest and best bet for that budget without going into an absolutely grueling commute.

You'll have to look at ALL resources to find something: get a realtor (I recommend Stephanie Ellison's group out of Milford for the Valley towns), and check all sites. Zillow, Realtor.com, HotPads, Apartments.com, Craigslist, FB Groups, everything.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:42 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
I think this is going to be very, very challenging in Fairfield or New Haven County. Perhaps in some of the Valley towns, but that might put you too far on the MetroNorth commute. There are very few standalone homes for rent in Connecticut to begin with, but, at that price, and commutable, is a tall order.
I agree with looking into Valley area towns like Seymour, Ansonia, Derby or Shelton. Even there, it may be tough and the commute will be very long - like 2 hours each way just to step foot in Grand Central.

I’d say consider Putnam County, NY towns (Brewster/Southeast station area). You won’t get much more for your money but the commute will be easier.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with looking into Valley area towns like Seymour, Ansonia, Derby or Shelton. Even there, it may be tough and the commute will be very long - like 2 hours each way just to step foot in Grand Central.

I’d say consider Putnam County, NY towns (Brewster/Southeast station area). You won’t get much more for your money but the commute will be easier.
I'd say it would be almost impossible to get a house for their budget in the Southeast station area. Heck, it's not even easy in the Valley these days. Crazy market.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:03 PM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Budget -$1500-2000/monthly. My salary for 2020 is $120k.

Ideal neighborhood- full of trees and grass.
Start in Stratford Bridgeport and Trumbull work your way east toward Milford West Haven. Forget about anything west of Bridgeport for standalones. Forget about forests and trees under 3-4ish. You might get lucky and find a very small home or accessory unit in Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield for 2ish with some trees and grass. 3 might get you something very small, dusty and mangy in either one but denser neighborhoods with fewer trees

All the best

Old 11-12-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Start in Stratford Bridgeport and Trumbull work your way east toward Milford West Haven. Forget about anything west of Bridgeport for standalones. Forget about forests and trees under 3-4ish. You might get lucky and find a very small home or accessory unit in Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield for 2ish with some trees and grass. 3 might get you something very small, dusty and mangy in either one but denser neighborhoods with fewer trees

All the best
West Haven is a good suggestion. Longer train but convenient to stations in West Haven and Milford.

Can't be too picky about commute length with this budget/wants.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...58030534_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...58025021_zpid/

Old 11-12-2021, 01:07 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'd say it would be almost impossible to get a house for their budget in the Southeast station area. Heck, it's not even easy in the Valley these days. Crazy market.
Interesting. Brewster has always been fairly affordable but I admittedly have no idea how that area evolved in the last decade or so.

In that case, I’d say Stratford, Derby, Ansonia or West Haven are the OP’s best bet, but they need to be careful of neighborhoods since each have their areas to avoid.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
West Haven is a good suggestion. Longer train but convenient to stations in West Haven and Milford.

Can't be too picky about commute length with this budget/wants.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...58030534_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...58025021_zpid/
Not sure if Zillow's numbers can be trusted after their AI bot algo program went haywire - the news hit on their earnings report that they had been inflating housing prices and are now stuck holding onto inventory they bought sight unseen. They took massive losses . Too early to hope for firesale prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut