Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 09:45 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
We live in CT because of the lower tax burden - otherwise we’d be in NY. I don’t much care for the vibe in NJ. I like the Cape and the Berkshires but wouldn’t want to live in MA.
Did you live closer to NYC in Westchester or NJ and then move to CT?

I seem to remember in the NYC tri-state area CT does have the lower tax burden out of CT, NJ and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 10:42 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
To me there are no advantages except maybe that it's warmer in winter than VT, NH, and ME. Also warmer than upstate NY. CT has an understated vibe about it, nothing to get too excited about. I have always loved the CT River though, so to someone who is from this area, that's a big advantage. To someone from out of the area, they probably wouldn't care.

No interest in NYC or Boston. I do enjoy the shore due to salt air, ocean, cute shops and little restaurants. I like the towns around the Middletown area too. That entire area is charming and scenic and it has lakes (nice if you can afford a summer cottage) and little museums and interesting restaurants. If you can live down around there, it's good. I enjoyed living in that area in the CT River valley and down to the shore. Now I just rent an apartment in CT because MA got too expensive and the only age restricted apartments or condos they were building were for millionaires. So, that's another reason: CT is fairly affordable if you live in the right areas.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:25 AM

6,592 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Do you actually READ the City-Data threads on "I am thinking of moving to CT from NJ/Westchester"?.

I would say the majority are about money, cost of living and taxes TO START. Then of course we all want nice towns with good schools and wonderful people etc.
Of course I do and you just proved the point of my comment, so thanks!

Not everyone in CT, or moving to CT has something to do with NY or NJ.

Old 11-13-2022, 12:39 PM

11,306 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
Did you live closer to NYC in Westchester or NJ and then move to CT?

I seem to remember in the NYC tri-state area CT does have the lower tax burden out of CT, NJ and NY.

His (her?) screen name is hvexpatinct which means "Hudson Valley ex-pat in CT". So either Westchester or points north of that, which relates to my next comment below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Is CT cheaper than Long Island and Hudson Valley ?

If by "Hudson Valley" you mean Westchester or Rockland counties, yes (especially Westchester, Rockland the housing a little lower but the taxes are still sky high). If you mean Putnam, Dutchess or Orange Counties it depends, the housing is considerbly cheaper in those counties but the taxes are higher so YMMV.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:58 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
His (her?) screen name is hvexpatinct which means "Hudson Valley ex-pat in CT". So either Westchester or points north of that, which relates to my next comment below.

I thought I remembered "hvexpatinct" was from England but I could be wrong.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:54 PM

11,306 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
I thought I remembered "hvexpatinct" was from England but I could be wrong.

I have no idea. Could be what the "expat" part means. I assumed (maybe from a past post? But I don't know) that HV meant Hudson Valley but maybe it's not.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:19 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I wouldn't mind getting up to Boston again but it's not going to kill me if I don't. I'd like to walk around Salem.

New York? There was a brief moment when I wanted to visit Ellis Island, then I read about the insanely long waits to get on and off the island. In general the traffic, the cost, the parking, so many people - no thanks. Sometimes pictures are better than reality.

Put me near the worlds greatest forest and now we're talking some good stuff. Or beach, which is so not CT.

On the flip side I *am* glad there are city people because they stay away from the quiet areas I like
I agree, Im not a fan of NYC at all. After so many visits living in NJ, its meh. I found it unkept and super gentrified. I see why some people like it, but a lot of people living in NJ/CT do not like it. At work (And I work with younger mostly super liberal professionals), we have sacrifice Thursday on who is going into the Manhattan office . Usually they are in and out by 5pm lol. But moral is, yes, a lot of people may work in NYC from CT/NJ, but C/D is an inaccurate representation on how people view cities and places and why people chose to live where they do. Side note, honestly, check out Weehawken NJ. You can get some of the best views of Manhattan from that part and then hit up JC/Hoboken for some good food and nice parks and clean urbanity. Let that misconception go away. Im going to be honest, about 90% of Native Jersyeans will l get annoyed if you say this.

But to the OP's post. Why is CT better than MA/NJ?

Better than Massachusetts
1. Significantly, I mean significantly, cheaper housing values.
2. Much better run towns. It isn't even comparable. The roads, infrastructure and servcies are light years better than Massachusetts. Some super uber wealthy area in MA are crumbling.
3. The Food. Sorry MA, but CT does food better.
4. Slightly better weather.
5. More topographical variation compared to the Boston area. CT is surprisingly very hilly and the towns are more picturesque than most MA towns that arent on the water or outside Metro Boston. Like chosing Wellesley, Rockland, Brockton, Randolph, Weymouth, Danvers, Lexington, etc you have little hills. In most of CT, big hills lol.
6. The vibe. CT feels more New England than MA. Quaint towns, reserved yet friendly people, the food, etc. Idk I just think CT is really New Englandy and gets that whole vibe down path.

Better than New Jersey
1. Cheaper. By a lot too. NJ is insanely expensive, like MA. Not quite as much as MA, but you score better in NJ especially if you want to work/be close to Manhattan.
2. Cleaner. NJ is kinda dirty in a lot of parts. CT is very well manicured.
3. Toooollllllsssss. Holy crap the amount of damn tolls here and nuts!!
4. Traffic. What. the. **. Rush hour extends from 3pm - 8pm around me :/ Cant get ANYWHERE.
5. Less Humidity. NJ is disgusting in the Summer. It was consistently 5-10 degrees cooler in Central CT and you could actually go outside.
6. Want a NE Vibe/Charm. NJ has a Mid Atlantic vibe. CT is 100% New England. Thats a huge drive for some people.
7. Less busy. NJ is BUSY. I mean, traffic beep beep. Stroads everywhere. I live in Somerset County and its wildin out here. I'd hate to be in Middlesex, Union, Bergen, Passaic or Essex Counties.. which are dense urban sprawl disasters.
8. Raise a family. Yes I know NJ might rank higher in stats to raise a family in over CT. But I think a lot of people value what CT offers over what NJ does. Therefore, CT might score higher.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:40 PM

6,924 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
If by "Hudson Valley" you mean Westchester or Rockland counties, yes (especially Westchester, Rockland the housing a little lower but the taxes are still sky high). If you mean Putnam, Dutchess or Orange Counties it depends, the housing is considerbly cheaper in those counties but the taxes are higher so YMMV.
A couple of Co-workers live way up in Dutchess County, originally from the Bronx, way up there 50-60 miles.
You have to go that far for land and larger newer construction at more affordable levels in NY, it's the only way.
In CT or FCounty you don't don't have to go that far for affordability, you just go up to Brookfield or Newtown or shoot over to Bridgeport, Stratford, Trumbull, and Milford.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:08 PM

6,592 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
6. The vibe. CT feels more New England than MA. Quaint towns, reserved yet friendly people, the food, etc. Idk I just think CT is really New Englandy and gets that whole vibe down path.

Didn't you live in western MA at one point? I always felt that was New Englandy, taking the back roads to western VT or eastern NY.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:14 PM

1,241 posts, read 904,170 times
Agree that western Ma has many areas that are quintessential New England. So does the greater Boston area. You don't have to get far out of the city before you hit amazing- very New Englandy towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Didn't you live in western MA at one point? I always felt that was New Englandy, taking the back roads to western VT or eastern NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut