Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 07:48 AM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
It's almost 2023. People have had it with the hysteria surrounding this God damn virus. Nowadays when the news talks about the surge in new COVID cases and fatalities, I just say, "That's nice", followed by "click" where I change the channel. I wore the damn mask, I got vaccinated, I got boosted, I did everything short of covering myself in bubble wrap, I'm done. Of course there's going to be a surge now: we're entering a period of shorter days (which means less exposure to sunlight), colder temperatures (which means more likelihood to contract colds and viruses), and COVID is never going to completely go away. It is what it is. A face mask will provide only minimal protection. It's hilarious seeing people walk down the street alone or behind the wheel of a car wearing them, as if to say "look at how forward-thinking I am!" It's a joke. I just want to tell these people, "Wake up! Your mask isn't a protector, it's just an amulet."
Sorry to disagree. I was on a packed plane last night, with a bunch of people hacking all around me. No way was I going to not wear my KN95. I've flown dozens of times since the pandemic started, and it hasn't failed yet. They do work, but I respect your (and others') choices. If they didn't work, doctors & nurses would be the sickest people around.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:55 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sorry to disagree. I was on a packed plane last night, with a bunch of people hacking all around me. No way was I going to not wear my KN95. I've flown dozens of times since the pandemic started, and it hasn't failed yet. They do work, but I respect your (and others') choices. If they didn't work, doctors & nurses would be the sickest people around.
I was referring to the people who walk down the street in broad daylight with nobody around them or in the car by themselves. Specially, it looks ridiculous to see them masked. If we're talking about a crowded airplane, where people are packed in like hogs in a pen and people are coughing and sneezing, I'd be more understanding to why people would want to cover their faces. You mentioned you wear a KN95. I think that needs to be emphasized, because that's probably the most effective covering yet most people weren't utilizing these. Those paper-thin, disposable masks you can buy by the dozen for $3, these are the ones that provide minimal protection yet they're the ones most likely to be used. I still think an even better deterrent against this virus is exercise and proper nutrition. It's no guarantee, but I've always said that if you take care of yourself, your body will take care of YOU. That includes COVID as well, IMO.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:09 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I mean. KN95 will definitely help. But I’ve flown many times recently without one, including 9-10 hour flights to Europe, with hacking passengers. And I was fine.

I was around thousands of people crammed shoulder to shoulder in the Vatican. I was fine.

I’ve been to 8 indoor concerts this year. No problems.

Sometimes it’s just your immune system.

The plane actually replaces its air every 15 min or so, so it’s a fairly safe place unless you’re seated next to someone sick. I got a cold at one point this year, and I attributed it to a night out in NYC with a bunch of coworkers in close proximity. I think that’s same for Covid, most people are catching with extended time with others. My SO caught it from someone she was sitting next to at dinner for 2 hours this Spring. I didn’t catch it from her, though (had it last Oct).

Anyway, going to close this thread soon as we’ve answered the OP’s question and this can only go off topic.

Long and short, CT is very unlikely to reinstitute mask mandates for Covid.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:22 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
No, masking is not coming back. There are some ridiculous people who are either paranoid or permanently virtue signaling. I just chuckle to myself and roll my eyes. I was a diligent masker when it was necessary during the first year. I shut my mouth and did it when required. without complaining during the second year. I did not mind the mandates at all for the first year. For the second, it was mostly stupid and a bit annoying. Not worth all the fuss people made at the end of the day.

It's not needed anymore. Only the most loony tunes people are masking now. The pols know this. They know how to treat much better than early 2000. Heck, my dad with COPD and diabetes survived omicron last year. My wife and daughter got and were asymptomatic. My mom just had it. No biggie.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:26 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It’s winter. Should this really be a shock?

LA County has always been more extreme than the rest of the country. When I did a shoot there in early 2021, there was an outdoor dining ban. How insane is that?

Someone was arrested for paddle boarding alone at the beginning of the pandemic.

We aren’t going back.

By the way, I’ve seen big scary red headlines on CNN lately about hospitals at 80-90% capacity. That’s totally normal numbers for this time of year. Hospitals have to make money. Where did this myth come from that hospitals have always stayed empty in winter before Covid?
It was insane in LA and S CAL in general. San Diego missed out on most of the hysteria but our Gov dragged us back into it after it was already mostly over. They closed the forests and oceans, parking lots, beaches. Everywhere but cramming everyone into Costco and Walmart.

Backwards world.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:59 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,783 times
I don't know what on earth the OP is saying. I could certainly see individuals making the personal decision to wear masks at a higher rate currently, given the high prevalence of flu, RSV, COVID, and other respiratory viruses. Some private businesses might even bring it back. But I don't see government mandates coming back.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:10 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Let me further elaborate on what I saw the other day. I went to a medical office and they would not allow anybody in Beyond a given point because they said it was due to covid. Everybody in there had a mask. Okay fine that's medical and that can make sense. In the same town I attempted to go to a pizza shop. I go inside the pizza shop and all the seating is marked off as to you cannot sit there. They are not allowing *anybody* to sit and eat. It wasn't a big deal to find another place but I was a little bit concerned in that twice literally within the same hour I was told to not go into a building because of covid. I am vaccinated and boosted and have masks and yet I still was not allowed.

If individuals want to wear a mask that's perfectly fine I understand it. But this is the first time in months that I've seen any establishment tell me I couldn't go in regardless of vaccination wearing a mask.

I guess in a broader sense of what I'm asking is that has anybody seen actual businesses and employers asking people to mask up or are putting back limitations on occupancy?

Old 12-09-2022, 12:17 PM

6,909 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Let me further elaborate on what I saw the other day. I went to a medical office and they would not allow anybody in Beyond a given point because they said it was due to covid. Everybody in there had a mask. Okay fine that's medical and that can make sense. In the same town I attempted to go to a pizza shop. I go inside the pizza shop and all the seating is marked off as to you cannot sit there. They are not allowing *anybody* to sit and eat. It wasn't a big deal to find another place but I was a little bit concerned in that twice literally within the same hour I was told to not go into a building because of covid. I am vaccinated and boosted and have masks and yet I still was not allowed.

If individuals want to wear a mask that's perfectly fine I understand it. But this is the first time in months that I've seen any establishment tell me I couldn't go in regardless of vaccination wearing a mask.

I guess in a broader sense of what I'm asking is that has anybody seen actual businesses and employers asking people to mask up or are putting back limitations on occupancy?
Medical facilities have continued requirements throughout. Some are optional.
The Pizza shop is probably democrat owned and dramatic. Look for this behavior to ramp up into cold and flu season in deep blue proggy states like CT.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:56 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Are you sure the pizza shop was doing it for Covid, and not because maybe they were having bathroom problems? (You don’t legally need to provide a bathroom without indoor seating)

Or didn’t have the staff needed to clean, serve, etc?

Old 12-09-2022, 01:31 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I mean. KN95 will definitely help. But I’ve flown many times recently without one, including 9-10 hour flights to Europe, with hacking passengers. And I was fine.

I was around thousands of people crammed shoulder to shoulder in the Vatican. I was fine.

I’ve been to 8 indoor concerts this year. No problems.

Sometimes it’s just your immune system.
You're definitely in a minority, if so more power to you. But precisely because each person's different and we don't know how our immune systems will react, I choose to wear a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut