Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 11:56 AM

506 posts, read 476,256 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, I played around with the average population and average median annual income for certain CT towns based on the town/city name. This only applies to the 169 incorporated towns, not boroughs. According to what I found, 17 towns end in "ford," 12 end in "field," and 10 end in "bury." I also looked at towns beginning with "New" and with the four compass directions ("East," "West," "North," and "South").

From my very quick analysis, towns that end in "field" have an 11% increase in median annual income over towns that end in "ford" and a 2% increase over towns that end in "bury." But the "field" towns have 70% less average population than the "ford" towns and 34% less than the "bury" towns.

Towns that begin with "New" have the highest average population (40,234) while towns that begin with "North" have the lowest (11,531).

Towns that begin with "West" have a 41% increase in median annual income over towns that begin with "East."

Towns that begin with "South" have a 32% increase in median income over towns that begin with "North."

The "West" towns have the highest average median income of $134,742. The state average is about $79,855.

Take what you want from these observations. This isn't a scientific study. But I figured it could start some discussions.

Those are the only words I looked at. I wanted to analyze towns that end in "town" and "ton" but got a little tired. Also, there weren't as many towns as I expected that end in "port" and "ville" so I didn't look at those. That would change if I looked at boroughs and sections of towns, though.

I also only looked at the full word in question and not its variants. For example, for towns that begin with "North," I didn't count Norfolk, Norwalk, and Norwich even though "Nor" derives from "North." The whole word had to appear. It also didn't matter if the word was separate or merged. So for the "West" towns I included Weston and Westport.

My source for annual median income by town was: CTData.org. My source for population was: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Depart...wns2020pdf.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 02:17 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Interesting. One thing I noticed with Connecticut’s major cities is that the suburbs west of them tend to be more affluent than those to the east. Stamford has Greenwich, verses Darien (hardly poor but not as affluent). Bridgeport has Fairfield, verse Stratford. New Haven has Woodbridge, verses East Haven. Hartford has West Hartford, verses East Hartford. It’s likely just a coincidence but still interesting. Jay

Old 01-03-2023, 02:25 PM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting. One thing I noticed with Connecticut’s major cities is that the suburbs west of them tend to be more affluent than those to the east. Stamford has Greenwich, verses Darien (hardly poor but not as affluent). Bridgeport has Fairfield, verse Stratford. New Haven has Woodbridge, verses East Haven. Hartford has West Hartford, verses East Hartford. It’s likely just a coincidence but still interesting. Jay
Yeah - this may in some small part relate to our British roots. They have a similar saying in the UK (for example, look at West London vs. East London). Something about pollution moving east if I can recall...

Other examples top of mind: West LA/East LA, West/East Nashville, West/East Tucson

Old 01-03-2023, 03:42 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yeah - this may in some small part relate to our British roots. They have a similar saying in the UK (for example, look at West London vs. East London). Something about pollution moving east if I can recall...

Other examples top of mind: West LA/East LA, West/East Nashville, West/East Tucson
Not bad but just Hartford and Bridgepeort
West Haven is west of New Haven too

Pollution may move east with momentum from the earth's rotation, or would it lag west.
That may have been a factor in affluent settlements in medieval Europe but not here

Old 01-03-2023, 06:22 PM

506 posts, read 476,256 times
The path of industrial smoke seems to be the main reason why the west end of cities is usually the more affluent part, according to this article: https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/2...poor-east-ends

And of course, for CT, the entire state has an east-west divide with the Connecticut River being the dividing line. Only 11 of the top 50 most populous towns are east of the river. None of the top 10 are.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:12 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
In the case of West Hartford I'm guessing it became the affluent one because it's not separated by the river. So easy transit--especially before everyone owned a car.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:33 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Not bad but just Hartford and Bridgepeort
West Haven is west of New Haven too

Pollution may move east with momentum from the earth's rotation, or would it lag west.
That may have been a factor in affluent settlements in medieval Europe but not here
As I pointed out, Woodbridge is west of New Haven. Orange is too. Both are among the most affluent suburbs of New Haven. Jay

Old 01-04-2023, 08:47 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
In the case of West Hartford I'm guessing it became the affluent one because it's not separated by the river. So easy transit--especially before everyone owned a car.
I actually would have expected the affluent to be able to afford to move across the river, leaving those who couldn't to spread westward. They did spread north into Wilson.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:15 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
All roads in CT lead to NYC and all it's money.

Darien is very wealthy. Probably the wealthiest in CT.
HH Income: $250,000+
House Price: 1.5 miliion

Greenwich
HH Income: $180,000
House Price: 1.4 miliion
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5222,PST045221

Old 01-05-2023, 07:37 AM

537 posts, read 330,690 times
The towns ending in "-ton" would probably put in a good showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut