Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 09:45 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am creating this post because I need some clarification on facts about getting to Fairfield County.

First of all, I am in New York. My relatives from Long Island are meeting us for an event we are planning to attend in New England.

For me, I will most likely drive to pick them up in Fairfield County. Since they are coming from Long Island, they want to take the train. They will have to take the train to Manhattan, and take either the New Haven Line or the Amtrak, since they are both available.

What I want to know is

1)How many local stops does the Amtrak make on the New Haven Line? I know it stops in Stamford, but what about locally or anything else parallel to Interstate 95.

2)Regarding all New Haven Metro North northbound trains, what times are local and what times are express?

3)What is the difference in price of ticket from Manhattan to these destination? Which is more expensive?

4)Regarding Amtrak stops, which stations are close to downtown? Traffic can affect drivers in that area, plus I know there are certain zones in which you can or can’t wait. So I would have my relatives meet us closer to the downtown. Can you walk from Stamford train station to downtown?

5)Regarding buy a ticket at the station itself. Is it cheaper than purchasing it on the train?

6)And finally, what time does the last train back to NYC leave CT for both New Haven Metro North travelers and Amtrak passengers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 12:06 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Hello,

1)How many local stops does the Amtrak make on the New Haven Line? I know it stops in Stamford, but what about locally or anything else parallel to Interstate 95.

2)Regarding all New Haven Metro North northbound trains, what times are local and what times are express?

3)What is the difference in price of ticket from Manhattan to these destination? Which is more expensive?

4)Regarding Amtrak stops, which stations are close to downtown? Traffic can affect drivers in that area, plus I know there are certain zones in which you can or can’t wait. So I would have my relatives meet us closer to the downtown. Can you walk from Stamford train station to downtown?

5)Regarding buy a ticket at the station itself. Is it cheaper than purchasing it on the train?

6)And finally, what time does the last train back to NYC leave CT for both New Haven Metro North travelers and Amtrak passengers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
1) Amtrak makes 3 in Ct by New Haven, max. Stamford, Bridgeport, New Haven. Its faster, but costlier. I used it a few times, cherry picking when as at times, the Amtrak discounted fares went below what they are showing now, during covid.

2) You will not find much deviation express to local in terms of time. I did Milford-Harlem, and by 2023, the max vs min time involved varied by under 20 minutes. So I would not worry about designations. Metro never gets as express as Amtrak. It skips a few stops, here and there, as scheduled.

3) Amtrak 2 weeks out (I queried 4/8 for you) Penn-New Haven is mainly $44 each way, $33 on a few trains, about every 90 minutes. Metro North is about $25. One way.

Amtrak-Stamford same day starts at $16, about same as Metro. If cost is that low, I'd choose Amtrak. Amtrak is not consistent in cost, so query it by using the web site.

Lowest rates are coach, comfortable single seating. Metro seating is couch style, not single seating, btw.

4) The two in Ct use the same stations, except Amtrak skips suburbs. Stamford train station to downtown(what most call latter) is about a mile. High volume roads, but walkable being careful. Concern is crossing streets due to volume, not safety as in crime. It's sidewalks at some points are small by the station. They may wish to Uber it to you or take a cab.

5) Do NOT buy on the train. Metro adds $5 a ticket, Amtrak I do not think allows it at all. Amtrak also gets pricier if you do not buy 2+ weeks in advance. Metro North does not. Buy Metro online or at platform kiosk. Buy Amtrak online.

6) Metro goes past midnight. Call 212-532-4900, choose option for schedules. Its automated. For Amtrak, go to Amtrak.com.

Amtrak leaves from Penn St in Manhattan, btw. LIRR their starting basis goes to Penn. Metro from Grand Central. Metro would mean they'd have to take 2 subway trains (Penn-Times Square, then Grand Central shuttle), cab or Uber, or walk the roughly 1.25 miles between the two terminals. It's a hassle with luggage to take two subways, as the Times Sq switch from the line to it vs the shuttle is a big walk inside a HUGE subway station. Shuttle is buried in the corner, multiple staircases, hallways, ugh.

Amtrak may be less timely, though. It likely starts at DC, so if its late at Penn, it won't make it up by Ct. (Like airlines in that regard.). If Metro leaves GCT its starting point on time, it will not be as late, generally. In either case, tell them to text you regarding its scheduled departure time vs reality. That will tell you its arrival time using the same deviation. Amtrak sits at Penn and Metro at GCT a long time, btw. So it's the departure time they should text about.

If I were you, I'd opt to pick up in Bridgeport if its daytime. Its a dark area at night, but will be easier to meet them, less distance to walk, etc. Park at a garage nearby for just half an hour or so. Stamford is not walking friendly, and New Haven is not much better pickup/drop off. Stamford walking to you with luggage will make it hard for them to navigate roads, as sidewalks are not well built by that station. I did it luggage free in late 2016, when I took NYC job, and stayed at Stamford hotels for several weeks before moving into Milford. Not fun walking around the station.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 03-24-2023 at 12:37 AM..

Old 03-24-2023, 05:29 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Chrome or Safari search bar it
Metro North Rail- fares and schedules

Old 03-24-2023, 07:33 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Your LI relatives should just take the ferry to Bridgeport and meet you there.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:33 PM

For 4 people, the cost is similar, although there are more departure times by train.

I would either go by ferry, or Amtrak. Getting from Penn to GCT with luggage, which I have done, is awful.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:44 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Ferry with a car is $70 one way. Worth every penny if you ask me.
I had to go to LI an few months back for something, just a few miles from Port Jeff. Drove on the way there, for the way back I said screw that. I drove over to the ferry depot and told them to put me on the next boat out.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Ferry with a car is $70 one way. Worth every penny if you ask me
4 people, whether ferry or Amtrak, would run 275-300 or so.

Between LIRR, subways, second train, or drive to ferry.

I had to estimate LIRR but should be low teens in most spots each way.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:46 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:40 PM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Ferry with a car is $70 one way. Worth every penny if you ask me.
I had to go to LI an few months back for something, just a few miles from Port Jeff. Drove on the way there, for the way back I said screw that. I drove over to the ferry depot and told them to put me on the next boat out.
Looking at the website, the ferry lists unlimited passengers for $27. With 4 people, it would be $97 for car with 3-4. You will definitely be better off taking the ferry.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:07 PM

37,125 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
For 4 people, the cost is similar, although there are more departure times by train.

I would either go by ferry, or Amtrak. Getting from Penn to GCT with luggage, which I have done, is awful.
LIRR also goes to GCT these days and it's pretty easy to get from the LIRR platforms to the MNR platforms. I'd go with whatever works out best for their schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut