Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 04:50 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times

Advertisements

I saw they were in East Windsor last night <edit> The dirtbikes

This needs to hit the news hard more often. It's the only way votes are going to change. I've been reading the BreakingNow thread on last nights incident, and someone said that last year teens on bicycles took over 91. A few hundred of them. That's nuts!

Too bad the state doesn’t have more SWAT units. How many do we have anyway?

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 05-28-2023 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 06:10 AM

274 posts, read 144,168 times
Once again this appears to largely a Connecticut specific problem in New England. I quickly googled "street takeovers" in the other New England states, and not much seems to be going on in other states. Most other searches yielded CT stories.

For a state that pays so much in taxes, it is embarrassing and pitful to see how this happens here and the state cannot get this problem under control. Maybe it is the consequences of living in a rich state where a bunch of rich kids can afford to tear on their cars and bikes like they are throwaways, but irregardless it is unacceptable.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:12 AM

752 posts, read 552,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Once again this appears to largely a Connecticut specific problem in New England. I quickly googled "street takeovers" in the other New England states, and not much seems to be going on in other states. Most other searches yielded CT stories.

For a state that pays so much in taxes, it is embarrassing and pitful to see how this happens here and the state cannot get this problem under control. Maybe it is the consequences of living in a rich state where a bunch of rich kids can afford to tear on their cars and bikes like they are throwaways, but irregardless it is unacceptable.
This happens all over. It's a problem in NY, NJ, and as far away as the West Coast. One thing NYC does right is impound and destroy the vehicles used for these stupid events.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
This happens all over. It's a problem in NY, NJ, and as far away as the West Coast. One thing NYC does right is impound and destroy the vehicles used for these stupid events.
Im sure happens elsewhere. But within CT's region of New England, it very much seems to be a CT problem.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:25 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The central problem is that the juvenile justice system in many states, including Connecticut, is severely broken. Underage violent and repeat offenders are often just sent home since there are no facilities to rehabilitate their behavior and/or provide a placement in a home where they are being raised by someone who is capable of providing them proper attention, care, and appropriate consequences for their improper behavior.

Various social media platforms have glorified this bad behavior and spread the word that there is little that can be done against young offenders who are not classified as adults. It is a very sad situation that is also played out daily in the schools.
Maybe, just maybe hold the parents to account, fine them and see if that moves them to better parenting and have them discipline thier kids being the legal system can't / won't

Old 05-28-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Maybe, just maybe hold the parents to account, fine them and see if that moves them to better parenting and have them discipline thier kids being the legal system can't / won't
Like so many things, it starts at home

Old 05-28-2023, 06:32 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
First - we have a specific phone number to call 1-800-CALL-FBI

https://www.cspnews.org/post/connect...qpeEx1BXY7joCo

https://tips.fbi.gov/digitalmedia/9135f4f405328c9

This happens in other states, let's see how many I can find.

North Carolina 2022 https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/fr...EZCG4VN5Q4XF4/

Florida 2023 https://cbs12.com/news/local/street-...-april-18-2023

Oklahoma 2022 https://kfor.com/news/local/dozens-a...ver-crackdown/

Ohio 2023 https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...o/70227725007/

Virginia 2022 (sounds like police were on top of this one) https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...hmond-streets/

I'm sure there are many more but I've got stuff to do. Bet you can find one in almost every state!

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 05-28-2023 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: missed a year

Old 05-28-2023, 09:21 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Im sure happens elsewhere. But within CT's region of New England, it very much seems to be a CT problem.
Providence, Springfield, Boston

Old 05-28-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Providence, Springfield, Boston
Tried quickly googling about street takeovers in those cites. And didn't see any. Search results kept bringing up the Ct ones. And actually saw an articke about trying to make Boston streets more car free.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:16 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Let’s say it together this time, on the count of three -
You guys voted for this
If I want anybody jumping on the hood of my car I’ll drive through a chimpanzee preserve in The Congo.
I’d rather not have a bunch of politically emboldened zillenials not not jump on my car while their friends videotape it when I’m out running errands in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut