Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 11:31 AM

4,452 posts, read 3,345,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What are you talking about? Former Governor Dan Malloy went to West Hill. That’s pretty impressive. Jay
Malloy went there when Westhill considered the best school in Stamford and BEFORE the state busing law. I would put Westhill HS before 1980 and excellent school probably on par with many Gold Coast high schools BEFORE busing.

"Mayor Dannel Malloy, who graduated from Westhill in 1973"
https://www.thehour.com/stamford/art...on-8290436.php

I went to Westhill when it was still a very good school but just starting to feel the effects of the state busing law which was passed in the mid 1970's I believe.

My husband and I lived through the effects of that busing law. I was in the best high school in Stamford so it didn't affect me as much as kids starting out in elementary schools.

Let's take a look where Westhill is now. I bet it is not anywhere near Gold Coast high schools like when I went there. Here are my schools which were all excellent when I attended them.

Roxbury..........335 of 490
Cloonan..........180 of 250
Westhill...........74 of 139

My husband who went through the Stamford schools are even worse. He went to different schools.

Can you name me one person of note (who is not an athlete or musician) who graduated from a Stamford high school AFTER 1985?

Do you see the question the OP is asking about that schools in the different parts of Greenwich? That is the same reason my husband and I left Stamford and are in Trumbull. VERY GOOD/EXCELLENT schools. Who do you think is going to do better ON AVERAGE in life? The child that graduates from Westhill in 2023 or the child that graduates Trumbull HS?

Trumbull HS 12th out of 139.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/c...ll/search.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW Joe Lieberman (who ran for VP with Gore 2000) graduated from Stamford high school probably in the late 1950's or early 1960's. He went to school with my aunt.

Last edited by CTartist; 06-14-2023 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 12:23 PM

6,887 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Well I am from Stamford. I worked in Greenwich. I had friends/family in Greenwich. Boyfriends from Greenwich and my sibling's married spouses are from Greenwich.

In the long run excellent schools make a difference.

Look at the list of notable alumni from Greenwich HS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_High_School

Here the notable alumni from my HS which is no that far away from Greenwich HS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westhi...l_(Connecticut)

Greenwich HS: Christopher A. Sims - winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics 2011

Trust me on this one thing......hell would probably have to freeze over before a Nobel Prize winner comes out of Westhill HS lol. My HS was the best public HS in Stamford.
Hell freezes over before a Nobel winner from Westhill? are you serious? what an elitist high browed attitude, my God.
This is such outdated nonsense it's ridiculuos. I don't even know where to begin. Anyone who wants to succeed can succeed if they put in the effort. No one is going to remember or ask them where they went to elementary grade school.
The state also runs the same programs, curriculums, and SBAC testing for all publics. The ranking diffs between CTArtist Hoighty Toighty School and New Lebanon (wherever that is) or Joe Schmo School is probably 2 answers on a multiple choice.
I'm going to say it again people, it's 2023

Old 06-14-2023, 03:48 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Hell freezes over before a Nobel winner from Westhill? are you serious? what an elitist high browed attitude, my God.
This is such outdated nonsense it's ridiculuos. I don't even know where to begin. Anyone who wants to succeed can succeed if they put in the effort. No one is going to remember or ask them where they went to elementary grade school.
The state also runs the same programs, curriculums, and SBAC testing for all publics. The ranking diffs between CTArtist Hoighty Toighty School and New Lebanon (wherever that is) or Joe Schmo School is probably 2 answers on a multiple choice.
I'm going to say it again people, it's 2023

New Lebanon is an elementary school in Greenwich literally a couple of blocks from the state line and Port Chester, NY off US 1/Boston Post Road.

It's the Byram neighborhood neighborhood of Greenwich, which while I would hardly call it "the ghetto" has demographics and an economic profile unlike the stereotype of Greenwich and something many people do not know about Greenwich. There's even a town housing project (i.e. public housing) in that neighborhood (next to a Bimbo bread baking factory), though it doesn't look like your Bronx or Bridgeport projects, it's looks more like a middle-income level 3-story condo complex). Very few people realize such a thing exists in Greenwich.

But I completely agree with what you are saying and will rep you if it lets me.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:04 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Who do you think is going to do better ON AVERAGE in life? The child that graduates from Westhill in 2023 or the child that graduates Trumbull HS?
At that point it's much less the school, and much more the family/household. That's the difference.

I know plenty of peers that went to a top 20 HS in CT that wound up f^$#-ups in life, because their parents were odd and their upbringing wasn't conducive to success. And then they lacked the motivation to succeed.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
New Lebanon is an elementary school in Greenwich literally a couple of blocks from the state line and Port Chester, NY off US 1/Boston Post Road.

It's the Byram neighborhood neighborhood of Greenwich, which while I would hardly call it "the ghetto" has demographics and an economic profile unlike the stereotype of Greenwich and something many people do not know about Greenwich. There's even a town housing project (i.e. public housing) in that neighborhood (next to a Bimbo bread baking factory), though it doesn't look like your Bronx or Bridgeport projects, it's looks more like a middle-income level 3-story condo complex). Very few people realize such a thing exists in Greenwich.

But I completely agree with what you are saying and will rep you if it lets me.
It doesn't allow me rep you or WouldLoveto anymore

Yeah, I figured it was over by Byram and the bakery

Old 06-14-2023, 06:44 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,145,721 times
I strongly believe very, very few people are held back by the schools they go to unless it's truly in a ghetto and even then I'm not so sure. But kids are definitely held back by the family they were born into and what kind of academic support/demands their parents provide. So if you're good parents, obsessing over test schools is just being neurotic in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2023, 02:42 PM

980 posts, read 598,855 times
Quote:
Malloy went there when Westhill considered the best school in Stamford and BEFORE the state busing law. I would put Westhill HS before 1980 and excellent school probably on par with many Gold Coast high schools BEFORE busing.

"Mayor Dannel Malloy, who graduated from Westhill in 1973"
https://www.thehour.com/stamford/art...on-8290436.php

I went to Westhill when it was still a very good school but just starting to feel the effects of the state busing law which was passed in the mid 1970's I believe.

My husband and I lived through the effects of that busing law. I was in the best high school in Stamford so it didn't affect me as much as kids starting out in elementary schools.

Let's take a look where Westhill is now. I bet it is not anywhere near Gold Coast high schools like when I went there. Here are my schools which were all excellent when I attended them.

Roxbury..........335 of 490
Cloonan..........180 of 250
Westhill...........74 of 139

My husband who went through the Stamford schools are even worse. He went to different schools.

Can you name me one person of note (who is not an athlete or musician) who graduated from a Stamford high school AFTER 1985?

Do you see the question the OP is asking about that schools in the different parts of Greenwich? That is the same reason my husband and I left Stamford and are in Trumbull. VERY GOOD/EXCELLENT schools. Who do you think is going to do better ON AVERAGE in life? The child that graduates from Westhill in 2023 or the child that graduates Trumbull HS?

Trumbull HS 12th out of 139.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/c...ll/search.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW Joe Lieberman (who ran for VP with Gore 2000) graduated from Stamford high school probably in the late 1950's or early 1960's. He went to school with my aunt.
That's just because the top students in Stamford are spread out now lol

Old 06-15-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
and the wealthiest students in Stamford are in the Academies and Country Days. Most in Trumbull can't afford those

Old 06-16-2023, 06:42 PM

4,452 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
No....most go to private schools. I know, I still have many relatives in Stamford and most of the kids go to private schools.

Oh my goodness. I can't believe what I am reading in this thread.

I have seen numerous times in here (too many to remember) that the very people who are commenting on this who say schools don't matter are the same people who will say things like "Stamford is a good place to live but THE SCHOOLS DON'T PERFORM WELL so if you are looking for very good schools look at A, B or C town instead.

By the way most the people saying schools don't matter live in the towns with the best schools. Ironic say "schools don't matter" when you are sitting on the highest branch in the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut