Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwee View Post
If the buyer's broker has been instructed by his/her client to do so, then that's a different story, although I don't quite understand why the buyer would want to qualify his/her offer with that message. All it does is minimize the value of the offer (to a point of worthlessness) to begin with. What seller would accept any offer that has been placed on the table if he/she has been told that the buyer is willing to pay more? I have been a (commercial) broker for ten years and have never been in a negotiation where that tactic has been employed.
It doesn't get the seller to accept the offer, it gets them to continue responding, typically with a lower offer. It's not a fun tactic but I've seen it work, the seller gets worn down. Commercial business is completely different. Emotions are less in play. It's more financial analysis and economics of a deal. The numbers either work or they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 PM

95 posts, read 447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
It doesn't get the seller to accept the offer, it gets them to continue responding, typically with a lower offer. It's not a fun tactic but I've seen it work, the seller gets worn down. Commercial business is completely different. Emotions are less in play. It's more financial analysis and economics of a deal. The numbers either work or they don't.
I respect your opinion, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. By the way, you'd be surprised about how much emotion does come into play in commercial transactions. The egos that are sometimes involved can really supercede rational thought based upon simple numbers.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 PM

113 posts, read 364,917 times
thanks for the feedback. i'm thinking i should not go any lower and say this is the price take it or leave it. this is assuming we are within the comps.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 PM

does anyone know how accurate zillow.com is?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
In my opinion, not very accurate - even within a given town.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
I've found it to be completely inaccurate. I wouldn't rely on it for anything.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:40 AM

ok. because zillow has us at $291,000.00

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
what do you make of this offer?

we put our house back on the market in april. had maybe 10 showings and a huge turnout for the realtor open house.

got an offer last week. our first ever. we listed at $329,000 then like 3 weeks ago reduced to $319.

the offer came in at $260. i felt a little insulted but our realtor said that their realtor said that they would go higher. we countered at $314, 000. 2 days later she came back with $270, we countered at $310 she came back again, 3 days later with $275,000. again, her realtor saying he knows she will pay more. 4 days ago we countered at $309,000 (after previously saying $310 would be the lowest we would go). my husband says we should just forget it, i like to play things out a bit more but this is getting tiring and i'm not sure if i should take this as a serious buyer.

i'm confused why her realtor keeps saying he knows she will come up and confused why she waits 2 - 3 days to counter offer. i'm concered if we did agree on a price she might be a 'trouble maker' and finds all sorts of things she wants fixing b4 a closing forcing us to reduce the price anyway.

thing is too, she bought a property a couple of streets over for $485,000 when the listed price was $499,000.

my realtor just keeps saying it's up to me. any insights appreciated. thanks

ps. haven't heard from the buyer since. could this mean she changed her mind? my realtor is out of town and i'm going nuts! oh and she also wanted to close on June 20th
I've dealt with these buyers many times before--having been a realtor in Brooklyn for several years. They want a deal. Looks like she is trying to take advantage of the fact that the market is down and it is a "buyers" market. She's hoping to get a steal.
I'd put this buyer on the backburner and focus on getting a good price for your house. Don't sell "bargain basement" unless you absolutely have to. Show the house for another month and see what happens, at the price originally put on the market for ($319k). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut