Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 11:00 AM

64 posts, read 42,457 times

Advertisements

There are rumors if another Pac 12 school doesnt join the Big 12, then they will ask Uconn. I think this will benefit Football to be in a major conference again instead of playing somewhat a weak independent schedule.

I know fans of Basketball is already mad about this saying they have natural rivals in the Big East and like the connection of playing in Madison Square Garden for the Big East tournament and saying they recruit well in the Big East
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 12:00 PM

388 posts, read 161,357 times
It doesn’t matter. If they can get some more revenue thru TV deals or whatnot, then fine, go for it, but Northeast football is not a big part of culture and the alumni base don’t care.

Rentschler Field has seen ONE sellout since 2010 and it was a game in 2013 versus Nationally ranked Michigan where most of the fans were there to see Michigan.

Rentschler Field being far away from the UConn Storrs campus is also a disaster and enormous fail. It’s the second longest distance between campus and field in D1 football. UCLA is further but it’s to the historic Rose Bowl stadium, the most prestigious in college football.

Take a state that doesn’t care about UConn college football, pair it with a student base that doesn’t care about college football and pair it with not being able to walk to the game, have to plan it in advance with a 23 mile journey. Legit one of the dumbest things ever done. On top of that, Rentschler isn’t near anything relevant.

If there was ever a stadium that needed to be on campus, this was it. FAIL.

The technology aspect is so outdated they can’t even use the worthless stadium for concerts. Bleacher seating off the 40’s also sucks.

College sports is great in part because of college atmosphere. UConn football games has about as low a college atmosphere as you can have.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:22 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Not a good idea.

SMU or even Rice would be a better option.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:49 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,148,099 times
If they are asked I'm almost positive they will say yes.

But I'd worry somewhat about basketball. yes they would be in the same conference with Kansas and co but it would once again put them in a conference that didn't make as much regional sense. That totally started to hurt recruiting in the waning days of the AAC. The bulk of their best recruits are always going to come from the northeast.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:59 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
UConn has already once attempted to improve its football program by changing conferences. It failed. I think they would be hard pressed to do that again without good reason. Basketball has been very good to the school and they cannot and should not again risk that without an assurances to make more money. Jay

Old 07-30-2023, 06:24 PM

205 posts, read 162,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
UConn has already once attempted to improve its football program by changing conferences. It failed. I think they would be hard pressed to do that again without good reason. Basketball has been very good to the school and they cannot and should not again risk that without an assurances to make more money. Jay

The're a huge difference between the AAC and the Big XII. The AAC was essentially a manufactured mid-level conference of the Big East schools that happened to have a football program, combined with the upper-level members of Conference USA. The Big XII is a Power 5 conference; one on the level of the ACC and B1G, the former of which had eyes on UConn until BC decided to get back at Blumenthal for suing them when they bolted from the Big East and drummed up support for other schools. Unlike the AAC, the Big XII wouldn't be as damaging to the basketball program as the AAC was; Kansas is a perennial power, former AAC brethren Houston is solid, Baylor just won a championship, Texas Tech almost won one, and Cincy is always tough. The question is will they be able to make enough money from the deal and is the Big East exit fee cost prohibitive. This is basically the Power 5 carrot that UConn has sought after for 20 years, but do the costs outweigh the benefits, and can UConn football get by in a stadium that is almost, if not more outdated than the Civic Center.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:31 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
The're a huge difference between the AAC and the Big XII. The AAC was essentially a manufactured mid-level conference of the Big East schools that happened to have a football program, combined with the upper-level members of Conference USA. The Big XII is a Power 5 conference; one on the level of the ACC and B1G, the former of which had eyes on UConn until BC decided to get back at Blumenthal for suing them when they bolted from the Big East and drummed up support for other schools. Unlike the AAC, the Big XII wouldn't be as damaging to the basketball program as the AAC was; Kansas is a perennial power, former AAC brethren Houston is solid, Baylor just won a championship, Texas Tech almost won one, and Cincy is always tough. The question is will they be able to make enough money from the deal and is the Big East exit fee cost prohibitive. This is basically the Power 5 carrot that UConn has sought after for 20 years, but do the costs outweigh the benefits, and can UConn football get by in a stadium that is almost, if not more outdated than the Civic Center.

I was about to make the same point about Big 12 vs AAC.

but I do think the big 12 might be damaging to the basketball program. once againt hey'd be in a conference with no real ties to the northeast where most of their recruits come form

Old 07-30-2023, 06:59 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Naw

Old 07-30-2023, 09:26 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,972,719 times
As an alumni of UConn, I could care less. lol

Then again, I'm not a follower of college level sports, though I do celebrate when any UConn team wins a championship. I become aware on the day it happens or the day after. lol

Just the other day I got a ballot to sign and send back. This is it:

I haven't open it yet. What should I do? I haven't been to UConn's main campus or any of its regional campuses in years!

Old 07-31-2023, 06:05 PM

388 posts, read 161,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
As an alumni of UConn, I could care less. lol

Then again, I'm not a follower of college level sports, though I do celebrate when any UConn team wins a championship. I become aware on the day it happens or the day after. lol

Just the other day I got a ballot to sign and send back. This is it:

I haven't open it yet. What should I do? I haven't been to UConn's main campus or any of its regional campuses in years!
Either throw it away or read what it’s about and vote accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut