Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 04:51 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
UConn (and UMass as well) should go back to FCS and once gain play peer New England state flagships as they once did for nearly a century. It does not belong in the same level as the big boys. College football in New England is not what it is in other parts of the country and never will be. The main focus and concentration for UConn athletics should always be basketball.
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 04:52 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
If you remember the transition they made from 1AA to 1A about 20 years ago then your statement contradicts the success the team had for years. They went to a bowl game faster than any other team that made the transition and that was then followed by Univ. of South FLA matching that a couple of years later.
UConn went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2011 where they got blown out 48-20. The school came no where nearing selling it's required ticket allotment and took a big financial loss. They showed on and off the field that day that they did not belong. It's other bowl game appearances were low level events against similar type teams that nobody cares about.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:46 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The basketball team wiped the floor with everyone last March, got to the Final Four, and nary one mention of it on the CT Forum here. I think every game was 15 pts differential or more. I couldn't believe it, it was radio silence here. I had to be the one to start the thread.

The ceiling for UConn Football in the Northeast is to become a BC or Syracuse, forget about Penn State, that's never happening and that's ok. The goal should be 6-7 wins and a Bowl appearance, maybe once in a while you sneak in the top 25 rankings for a period of a couple weeks.
Agree. There is no reason they can't be BC or Syracuse with the right coach and right players. Just because they will never be Georgia is not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. By everyone's logic, the Arizona Cardinals should just move down to that Vince McMahon football league if that still even exists.

No mention of UConn basketball here because there wasn't anything to complain about!

Old 11-08-2023, 09:38 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
UConn went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2011 where they got blown out 48-20. The school came no where nearing selling it's required ticket allotment and took a big financial loss. They showed on and off the field that day that they did not belong. It's other bowl game appearances were low level events against similar type teams that nobody cares about.
Nope. The mere fact that they ascended to being competitive and leading the Big East after a few short years upon joining is a testament to how the football program was developing into a very competitive program able to compete with the teams in the lower half of the Top 25. As far as the ticket allotment is concerned I think the issue there was the distance to AZ from CT. The culture in CT is different than a lot of states and people are not hedonists at heart and work and family are at the top of the list. Honestly I would not travel across the country for a single game for any of my favorite teams due to the time involved and the impact on work and other important parts of life. In other words most people in CT have a life and their lives don't revolve around sports like so many areas of the country. Doesn't mean sports are not an important part of the lives of people but they don't rule their lives like they do with some other areas of the country.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:19 AM

6,914 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Nope. The mere fact that they ascended to being competitive and leading the Big East after a few short years upon joining is a testament to how the football program was developing into a very competitive program able to compete with the teams in the lower half of the Top 25. As far as the ticket allotment is concerned I think the issue there was the distance to AZ from CT. The culture in CT is different than a lot of states and people are not hedonists at heart and work and family are at the top of the list. Honestly I would not travel across the country for a single game for any of my favorite teams due to the time involved and the impact on work and other important parts of life. In other words most people in CT have a life and their lives don't revolve around sports like so many areas of the country. Doesn't mean sports are not an important part of the lives of people but they don't rule their lives like they do with some other areas of the country.
I'm not sure truer words have ever been written or posted in the CT Forum or the entire City Data. Ever.
IF they have, I'd like to know about it. Every time I try and dole out another rep it says I have to spread it around.
Family is the heart and soul of CT. Taking the dog for a walk is the state sport. Most won't care if UConn gets their butts handed to them in a bowl game or win 10 D3 championships in a row.
UConn FBall is fine being the Jax Jaguars of D1. An occasional playoff appearance, maybe one time they go on a Cinderalla run like the Dbacks did in MLB this year.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Agree. There is no reason they can't be BC or Syracuse with the right coach and right players. Just because they will never be Georgia is not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. By everyone's logic, the Arizona Cardinals should just move down to that Vince McMahon football league if that still even exists.

No mention of UConn basketball here because there wasn't anything to complain about!

Are you willing to personally pony up the $63M for improvements to Rentschler Field that were reported to be necessary back in 2022?

UConn football home Rentschler Field needs $63 million in repairs. Will the the state make the investment?
https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/art...s-17446504.php

Old 11-09-2023, 12:17 PM

UConn Athletics Deficits

2022 $53M
2021 $47.2M
2020 $43.5M

Link:
https://ctbythenumbers.news/ctnews/d...ittle-too-late

Old 11-09-2023, 03:35 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
If any NE university should be complaining about FBS play it should be UMass with given props for a murderous schedule and minus a power program outside of hockey.

Old 11-09-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Are you willing to personally pony up the $63M for improvements to Rentschler Field that were reported to be necessary back in 2022?

UConn football home Rentschler Field needs $63 million in repairs. Will the the state make the investment?
https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/art...s-17446504.php

yes. that's an absolute drop in the bucket of the $22 billion general fund spending in FY 23.

Old 11-12-2023, 12:27 PM

Texas A&M, a public university in supposedly fiscally conservative Texas, just paid their coach, a grown man named Jimbo, $76 million to not coach anymore. But we, one of the richest states in the country and with budget surpluses, can't afford to renovate Rentschler Field for les money than that? Okay sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut