Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 54,094 times

Advertisements

Thank you, everyone, for your posts and opinions! They are all very helpful. Our plan is to move to CT in September and once we are there, do an in-depth search for a house. Sounds like all four town choices are good ones.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 34,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastcoasterAtHeart View Post
Hi there! My husband and I are moving to CT from Silicon Valley, CA, with our 20-month old son. I'm originally from Trumbull so know a bit about these towns but was hoping to get some more feedback. My husband will be commuting to Chelsea in NYC approx. 2-3 days per week and I'll be driving to Trumbull frequently. We have narrowed down our search to: Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan and Westport. We can spend up to $1.75m on a home. Our favorite town is Westport but it is also the furthest commute. Does anyone know how bad the commute to Chelsea would be? Of the other three towns, which is the most like Westport? We love the idea of good public schools, a downtown section (does Darien have this?), liberal views (maybe Westport is the only one that fits this bill?). Any feedback, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
hi
i suggest looking at weston if you havent already instead!!! it has a great school district!!!! and great houses.... have you tried looking there yet?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,933 times
Westport is definitely your best bet. Darien is Stepford, there's no denying it, and it will seriously mess up your children. Greenwich is good, but very wealthy, so if you can afford it. New Canaan is too pretentious and gets to be a pain. It also does not have as many easily accessible things as the others, and even though Waveny has a pool, eventually you or your kids will want the beach. Also, you should consider Fairfield. I know its a bit farther but it such a great town. It would also be better for family in Trumbull, which I have as well. I just strongly advise against Darien & NC, the two of them are all around ridiculous, and maybe you won't see it at first, but in time it will come to bug you. When they constantly rival each other even though they are exactly the same, and every day you drive by obnoxious McMansions and massive chevy suburbans that could be seriously harmful if the blond behind the wheel is once again yapping away on the cell phone, or just doesn't know how to drive. Westport is more down to earth, with a better school system, a nicer downtown, more realistic political views, and the waterfront to boot. Although, with any of the four burbs in Fairfield county, you'll be happy. The only thing is which will make you happiest.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayomayo99 View Post
When they constantly rival each other even though they are exactly the same, and every day you drive by obnoxious McMansions and massive chevy suburbans that could be seriously harmful if the blond behind the wheel is once again yapping away on the cell phone, or just doesn't know how to drive.
LOL@that. The Suburban is the most ubiquitous SUV in NC, but the blondie is usually driving a Rover. And you definitely want to stay the hell out of her way! Trust me, i know.......

Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I had a woman blabbing on her cell phone nearly hit me in Westport on the way to work on Friday. Non-SUV actually, brand new Acura TL had a red light and pulled a right turn RIGHT in front of me. I was going about 45 and had to slam on brakes to avoid her.

But on Route 1 in Westport - or as I like to call it "the gauntlet" - the SUV wife contingent is truly frightening to drive near.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
LOL@that. The Suburban is the most ubiquitous SUV in NC, but the blondie is usually driving a Rover. And you definitely want to stay the hell out of her way! Trust me, i know.......
Ha. I can see things haven't changed in 10 years.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Don't forget the Yukon Denali.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 PM

243 posts, read 773,785 times
If they are driving crazy in there Rovers, 'Burbans or Benz GL's, do what I do, lay on the horn for a good 10 seconds and yell like a mad man for a second or two. You'll see how quickly there driving techniques change.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
If they are driving crazy in there Rovers, 'Burbans or Benz GL's, do what I do, lay on the horn for a good 10 seconds and yell like a mad man for a second or two. You'll see how quickly there driving techniques change.
Its not just their driving that irks me. Its the innocent face they make when a police pull them over. I was driving in Wilton and I saw this lady in her SUV talking to the police with this shell-shocked innocent face as if she had done nothing wrong with a CELL PHONE on her hand as she speaks.

"yah I was holding a phone but I was not using it"

Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Its not just their driving that irks me. Its the innocent face they make when a police pull them over. I was driving in Wilton and I saw this lady in her SUV talking to the police with this shell-shocked innocent face as if she had done nothing wrong with a CELL PHONE on her hand as she speaks.

"yah I was holding a phone but I was not using it"
The irony is most of their new luxury SUV's probably have Bluetooth built in, but they aren't aware and/or they don't know how to set it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut