Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 02:00 PM

10,115 posts, read 14,991,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It's called advertising, replete with puffery.

Just like if I eat a Snickers bar, I'll become another person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVXiZoQsvEs

Are you cringing?
A flashback to my university years when in one class it was repeated what a representative of McDonald's Japan once said (who himself was -or is- Japanese).

"If we eat Big Mac for a 1,000 years we will be blonde."

I like to think this was before hair coloring was a thing. I remember as a kid I got in trouble, a big F, for drawing a woman with blue hair. The teacher said only clowns have blue hair. That was a totally unfair F. I was simply ahead of the times. Now the entire rainbow can be colored in the hair, a different color for every hair shaft. lol

On the other hand, advertising is not meant to be real. Just reminding you of the product so that the next time you think eating, in this case, a chocolate bar you first think of Snickers.

With the advertisement for the real estate company. Many people will be stuck in traffic and it gets old very quickly. If they think they should move within the state, guess what potential properties they will look into?

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-25-2024 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 10:05 AM

837 posts, read 2,084,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, the entire state does not have heavy traffic. If you go by miles of highway, you’ll see that most roads accommodate traffic rather well and it’s just a few sections of highway and several key junctions that have issues.
Those other highway stretches "accommodate traffic rather well" because they don't see as much vehicle volume and don't have the same population density as 95 and the Merritt in Fairfield County, as well as 91 in New Haven and Hartford Counties. Not to mention how travelers from neighboring states use our highways as a passthrough - adding to the volume and density.

When taken literally, sure, the entire state doesn't have heavy traffic. But it's definitely bad when focusing on the highways that a large majority of people use and care about. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion and R.D. Scinto wouldn't be running the ads.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,964,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, the entire state does not have heavy traffic. If you go by miles of highway, you’ll see that most roads accommodate traffic rather well and it’s just a few sections of highway and several key junctions that have issues.
I've lived in the Hartford area for most of my life and I'm over 50 now. I think of traffic in Fairfield County as being on a whole different level in terms of congestion.

Traffic in Hartford is usually only from West Hartford/Farmington to Hartford and East Hartford/Glastonbury to Hartford the other direction. North/South it's Rocky Hill/Wethersfield into Hartford and Bloomfield into Hartford. Maybe 3 miles from the East and 3 miles from the West and 2-3 miles North/South.

That's a lot fewer miles than the stretch from New Haven down to the NY Border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut