Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 05:06 PM

389 posts, read 163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Divided by 30 year life cycle that's less than a grand... you're clearly discounting the scalability the system has.
I wasn’t serious when I said give everyone 5 grand, it was a joke.

Has anyone posting here ACTUALLY used Fastrak? Most of the stops are drug ridden with needles and trash. Maintenance has already seen a rapid decline. It’s only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 05:07 PM

34,070 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Light rail is a LOT more expensive. Where do you propose we get all that extra money from? Should we cut back on improvements to the New Haven line???
We could have gotten far larger federal grants a few years ago, Jay. Both post 2008 crash, plus post covid, the liberals of DC were giving these funds away like cotton candy.

Phoenix's system btw, which is huge, cost $1.4 billion (our bus line was 55% that cost), and 60% was paid via federal funds, rest by long term small hike to the sales tax.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:12 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,189,053 times
And the most recent review of the NHL that bringing the system up to current FRA standards to return to full speed for the service would be about (according to NEC25 projections) to $135m a year over about 20 years. Doable, but the entire Fastrak operation would've been a drop in the bucket with the deferred maintenance the feds and state have left the US's passenger rail infrastructure since the Carter administration.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post

Has anyone posting here ACTUALLY used Fastrak? Most of the stops are drug ridden with needles and trash. Maintenance has already seen a rapid decline. It’s only going to get worse.
I'm in BPT but I've used the Fastrak system and dear lord the nonsense hyperbole of non-users is always the same. People say the same about GBT... It's beyond fine so I don't believe people. Sorry. The complaints are always the same and never match the hysteria. It's so weird, just like... why lie?

Old 02-24-2024, 05:16 PM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, I don’t think I’m missing the point when I say the insane amount of funds that went into a busway would better be used toward rail. Buses already had roadways paid for by taxpayers.

Like I said, I didn’t like it then - don’t like it now. Terrible use of delicate funds.
It’s not a matter of what you like. It’s a matter of what is a wise use of public money.

Studies conducted at the time the project was planned showed this was the most cost effective option for adding mass transit west of Hartford and the Federal Transit Agency agreed by funding it. It stood up to public scrutiny at multiple public meetings and hearings and was funded by the state legislature. It’s performing better than anticipated. That PROVES it was a wise investment.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:

I’ve been to every station. That’s NOT what I saw anywhere. And maintenance has not declined. I don’t know why you think that.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'm in BPT but I've used the Fastrak system and dear lord the nonsense hyperbole of non-users is always the same. People say the same about GBT... It's beyond fine so I don't believe people. Sorry. The complaints are always the same and never match the hysteria. It's so weird, just like... why lie?
Do you use it in New Britain? Are you not paying attention?

Old 02-24-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Do you use it in New Britain? Are you not paying attention?
I've been to that station a bit ago but still even if it were in such disrepair as you claim... don't you wear good shoes? Like, I've stepped over needles in New Canaan's parking lot... is that in disrepair to the point of not going to Elm Street? Ridiculous.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I've been to that station a bit ago but still even if it were in such disrepair as you claim... don't you wear good shoes? Like, I've stepped over needles in New Canaan's parking lot... is that in disrepair to the point of not going to Elm Street? Ridiculous.
I said there was homeless, drug needles and trash. I didn’t say it was beyond repair wasteland.

I’ll wear shoes next time tho, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We could have gotten far larger federal grants a few years ago, Jay. Both post 2008 crash, plus post covid, the liberals of DC were giving these funds away like cotton candy.

Phoenix's system btw, which is huge, cost $1.4 billion (our bus line was 55% that cost), and 60% was paid via federal funds, rest by long term small hike to the sales tax.
You say Valley Metro is successful? Let’s look at the facts.

Valley Metro has an average weekday ridership of 30,400 while CTfastrak has 14,000. Valley cost nearly three times as much as CTfastrak ($1.6 billion verses $557.2 million) but only has ridership about double that. That means CTfastrak was a more cost effective investment.

Also metro Phoenix has over four times the population of metro Hartford (4.9 million verses 1.2 million). That means CTfastrak serves a much higher percentage of the population than Valley.

If Valley Metro is successful, then CTfastrak is MORE successful. How much more proof does anyone need?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Metro_Rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut