Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2024, 09:07 PM

35,018 posts, read 57,105,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
It's honestly half in Farmington and half in West Hartford. Westfarms is right on the line.
That is correct. Thus the name Westfarms. The “West” is for West Hartford and the ”farms” is for Farmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 09:55 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,667,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You did? It depends on your definition of “better”.

Westfarms is one of he top producing malls in the country. It’s more upscale and has better anchors with 2 Macy’s, JC Penney’s and Nordstrom. And they just added a huge Jordan’s Furniture. Plus I like the layout of Westfarms better because it’s more logical and uniformly designed with one main mall and anchors at each end and off small branches off of it.

Connecticut Post has a long and complex history of changes and additions and it shows. It was originally an open air mall that was enclosed and added on to several times. It has a Macy’s, Target and Boscov’s as anchors so it’s definitely less upscale.
Well I didn't shop in great detail, I just kind of enjoyed a few of the amenities in the CT Post Mall more; but that said I have spent quite more time there, and it's been about 6 years since I've been to either. My opinion probably isn't a very fair or well thought out opinion due to me not having spent enough time in both, which is mainly why I asked you!

Old 05-05-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is correct. Thus the name Westfarms. The “West” is for West Hartford and the ”farms” is for Farmington.
OMG, I never actually knew that that is what the name Westfarm was named after. Very interesting!

Old 05-06-2024, 06:00 AM

993 posts, read 605,921 times
Losers Bracket:

Note: Just want to post a reminder of this, for anyone wondering about where certain towns are in this tournament:

1. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 6 (Fairfield - can't wait for home to return again!, Madison, Litchfield, and Old Saybrook): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 11
2. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 7 (Stonington, and New Haven): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 13
3. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 8 (Milford): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 15
4. Round 16 is the Grand FINALE Round (Guilford vs Winner of Loser's Bracket)

Also, however the backet aligned... these are all excellent matchups. Maybe the loser's bracket really was what the tournament was previously missing!

Old Lyme vs Groton - NL county nature or NL county's largest costal community? Thing is, Groton also has nature...

Westport vs Middletown - another great battle of riverside artsy downtowns. WPT has beaches (and borders the almighty.

West Hartford vs Newtown - I took a minute to think about this one. I love Ferris Acres and Newtown's charm; defintely one of the top inland towns. but WeHa might be my absolute favorite inland town.

Essex vs New London - I'm riding this NL train until it gets kicked out or faces Fairfield. Seriously, the city is taking many steps in the right direction (I used to say that about BPT as well ); I can't wait to see the national coast guard museum!

Ridgefield vs Norwalk - another great matchup. upscale FFC suburb vs upscale FFC city. Norwalk, you get my vote! Plus, hope everyone there isn't too impacted by the bridge demolition.

Branford vs Clinton - I can't believe I have to say this, but I think branford is underrated on this forum. Is it poorer than Guilford or Madison? Of course. But god forbid it have some economic diversity. When you combine its absolutely stunning coastline with its downtown area for small town charm with its proximity to New Haven... it's top 5 town in the state IMO.

Glastonbury vs Kent - Okay, to elaborate more since this is coming up: I've been to Glastonbury once and I only went to the downtown area, so I haven't seen the more rural eastern side. There was nothing wrong with it obviously, but I think it's more in line with other charming New England towns. So, IMO, slightly overrated. Kent, meanwhile, (as others have said) as an absolutely stunning section of the AT and some of the only somewhat interesting river rapids in the state.

East Lyme vs New Canaan - Two posh upscale suburbs representing opposite sides of southern CT. It's a fairly even battle until... I remembered East Lyme's coastline. Then I knew how to vote.

Great matchups this time!

Old 05-06-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

Branford vs Clinton - I can't believe I have to say this, but I think branford is underrated on this forum. Is it poorer than Guilford or Madison? Of course. But god forbid it have some economic diversity. When you combine its absolutely stunning coastline with its downtown area for small town charm with its proximity to New Haven... it's top 5 town in the state IMO.
Right NOW: Branford is currently #9 in the coefficients. Guilford is #2, and Madison is #5. Branford could still go slightly up or down, depending on what happens to the town in this tournament. Old Saybrook's performances could also alter Branford's coefficient as well, depending on what happens with that town. However, unless both towns massively perform above expectations, those towns will not meet in a head-to-head matchup.

RIGHT NOW, these are the Top 30 towns in terms of coefficient:

1. Fairfield
2. Guilford
3. Milford
4. New Haven
5. Madison
6. Old Saybrook
7. Stonington
8. Litchfield
9. Branford
10. East Lyme
11. West Hartford
12. Essex
13. Middletown
14. Westport
15. Groton
16. Old Lyme
17. Norwalk
18. Glastonbury
19. Ridgefield
20. Greenwich
21. Kent
22. Chester
23. New London
24. Clinton
25. New Canaan
26. Simsbury
27. Farmington
28. Washington
29. Deep River
30. Newtown

However, a lot of these can change easily as the Tournament progresses! I'm going to post the whole 169 town coefficients at the END of the Tournament.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:22 AM

Deadline for Round 9 is tomorrow at 11:59pm CT time! Be sure to get all the last votes in today or tomorrow!

Old 05-07-2024, 06:30 PM

9,787 posts, read 7,507,148 times
Old Lyme vs Groton. This is a tough matchup. If this was Stonington I'd take them, but OL edges out Groton.

Westport vs Middletown. Middletown for me. College town feel, better "downtown" area. Less traffic.

West Hartford vs Newtown.

Essex vs New London.

Ridgefield vs Norwalk.

Branford vs Clinton.

Glastonbury vs Kent.

East Lyme vs New Canaan.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:42 PM

21,809 posts, read 28,190,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Right NOW: Branford is currently #9 in the coefficients. Guilford is #2, and Madison is #5. Branford could still go slightly up or down, depending on what happens to the town in this tournament. Old Saybrook's performances could also alter Branford's coefficient as well, depending on what happens with that town. However, unless both towns massively perform above expectations, those towns will not meet in a head-to-head matchup.

RIGHT NOW, these are the Top 30 towns in terms of coefficient:

1. Fairfield
2. Guilford
3. Milford
4. New Haven
5. Madison
6. Old Saybrook
7. Stonington
8. Litchfield
9. Branford
10. East Lyme
11. West Hartford
12. Essex
13. Middletown
14. Westport
15. Groton
16. Old Lyme
17. Norwalk
18. Glastonbury
19. Ridgefield
20. Greenwich
21. Kent
22. Chester
23. New London
24. Clinton
25. New Canaan
26. Simsbury
27. Farmington
28. Washington
29. Deep River
30. Newtown

However, a lot of these can change easily as the Tournament progresses! I'm going to post the whole 169 town coefficients at the END of the Tournament.
Is that all tournaments or just this one?

Old 05-07-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Is that all tournaments or just this one?
All Tournaments from 2016 and onwards. However, when determining the coefficient the most recent tournaments weigh a larger percentage of determining factors. So the more recent the tournament took place, the higher weight it has on coefficients. But all tournaments weigh a specific amount in determining coefficients.

Again though, this tournament isn’t over, so there could still be some big changes from now until the tournament ends.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:43 PM

Glastonbury is in serious danger of Elimination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut