Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2024, 09:55 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,677,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yeah, but that came later. We are talking years ago.
Ahh that explains it. I honestly was thinking of the more recent developments over the past 5-10 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM

7,053 posts, read 3,826,553 times
Stamford is the corporate back office services capital of CT, not industrial. Goods aren’t manufactured there.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Deadline for Round 10 is tomorrow at 11:59pm CT time! Be sure to get any last votes in today or tomorrow!

Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I think the areas in Norwalk where there are houses are on bigger lots than a lot of areas than Fairfield so you can put charm into the landscaping and exterior of the houses. In a sense you are correct.

Darien has the best Route 1 (or Post Road) west of New Haven in terms of charm. I think there are apartments being built not far from Post Corner Pizza. I wonder what those will look like and will they retain the charm of the area.

Do you know where I mean? I think it is closer to the entrance of I-95. Are they going to be apartments?
That’s phase 2 of the Corbin District mixed use development. You should see the huge hole in the ground right now for the foundations and underground parking. It’s like a Flintstones rock quarry.
I think that and The Commons over in Noroton are great. Some of the NIMBYs and Hoka moms in town complained about them on SM but there they all are shopping and stuffing their faces with food.
I know No one cares, I’ll stop now.

Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
That’s phase 2 of the Corbin District mixed use development. You should see the huge hole in the ground right now for the foundations and underground parking. It’s like a Flintstones rock quarry.
I think that and The Commons over in Noroton are great. Some of the NIMBYs and Hoka moms in town complained about them on SM but there they all are shopping and stuffing their faces with food.
I know No one cares, I’ll stop now.
Steve, in response to this and a few other posts by you and a few others in regards to why Darien and other parts of Fairfield County don’t get as much love on here.

There’s a lot of talk about snobby residents very upscale towns, but I think there’s another reason as well. In general the beaches are a lot better East of New Haven.

West of New Haven, you’ve got Jennings & Southport Beaches, Sherwood State Park, the Saugatuck Shores Beach, and a bunch of beaches around Milford: Silver Sands, Walnut, Fort Trumbull, Woodmont, etc. Those are all great beaches; especially Jennings and Silver Sands / Walnut.

However, East of New Haven, there are much better quality state parks and beaches are a lot more special overall: Jacob’s Beach in Guilford, Madison Surf Club, Hammonaset, Rocky Neck State Park, Harkness, Ocean Beach Park, etc.

I haven’t been to these three, but according to others I’ve talked to, they’re the best beaches in the state and go unmatched: Rocky Neck State Park in East Lyme, Harkness in Waterford, Ocean Beach Park in New London.

Norwalk, Darien, and Greenwich really do lack nice and well kept beaches. Even in Westport, the Sherwood State Park can get really crowded. Saugatuck Shores is beautiful but it’s kind of small.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

996 posts, read 607,810 times
Deadline: Thursday, May 16 at 11:59pm Connecticut Time.

Losers Bracket:

Note: Just want to post a reminder of this, for anyone wondering about where certain towns are in this tournament:

1. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 6 (Fairfield, Madison, Litchfield, and Old Saybrook): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 11
2. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 7 (Stonington, and New Haven): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 13
3. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 8 (Milford): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 15
4. Round 16 is the Grand FINALE Round (Guilford vs Winner of Loser's Bracket)

Groton vs Middletown

West Hartford vs Essex

Norwalk vs Branford

Kent vs East Lyme

My votes are usually for costal and large towns.

Anyway…
1. BPT, Waterbury, Derby/ Ansonia, and Willimantic are the most industrial in CT.
2. Anyone saying Fairfield is overly industrial but not commenting on Milford or Norwalk’s smokestacks is biased.
3. Not sure why the houses on Congress Streets are being called McMansions when they’re mostly quite reasonable for their lots. Plus, further up in Greenfield Hill (by Catamount/ Brett Woods) it’s actually much more rural feeling. You certainly don’t get that in either Norwalk or Milford.
4. Norwalk may have more islands, and Milford may have more beaches, but Fairfield has a very balanced coastline with a sandy east and Southport in the west. Plus, the salt marshes!!
5. I went to Fenwick for the first time last year. It’s just a bunch of big houses and a golf course. No charm IMO and is just a more laid back version of Greenwich country club to me.

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

Dan, We’re going to dissect, analyze and debate CT beaches and their place in history and validity in the world from now until the waning days of City Data and humanity.
CT beaches are CT beaches. Some are just bigger than others. They don’t vary greatly.
Saugatuck Shores isn’t a beach.
As I’ve noted umpteenth hundreds of times the Darien/Norwalk coastline is the nicest most scenic west of New Haven and for nautical activities and lifestyle. That’s palpable geography that can’t be denied. Fairfield resident boaters can corroborate that but they won’t sign up for city data though.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

545 posts, read 335,316 times
For CT Beaches, it's Rocky Neck for me, which is why I'll probably be voting East Lyme all the way from here on out.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

Losers Bracket:

Note: Just want to post a reminder of this, for anyone wondering about where certain towns are in this tournament:

1. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 6 (Fairfield, Madison, Litchfield, and Old Saybrook): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 11
2. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 7 (Stonington, and New Haven): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 13
3. Losers in Winner's Bracket in Round 8 (Milford): Enters Loser's Bracket in Round 15
4. Round 16 is the Grand FINALE Round (Guilford vs Winner of Loser's Bracket)

Groton vs Middletown

West Hartford vs Essex

Norwalk vs Branford

Kent vs East Lyme

My votes are usually for costal and large towns.

Anyway…
1. BPT, Waterbury, Derby/ Ansonia, and Willimantic are the most industrial in CT.
2. Anyone saying Fairfield is overly industrial but not commenting on Milford or Norwalk’s smokestacks is biased.
3. Not sure why the houses on Congress Streets are being called McMansions when they’re mostly quite reasonable for their lots. Plus, further up in Greenfield Hill (by Catamount/ Brett Woods) it’s actually much more rural feeling. You certainly don’t get that in either Norwalk or Milford.
4. Norwalk may have more islands, and Milford may have more beaches, but Fairfield has a very balanced coastline with a sandy east and Southport in the west. Plus, the salt marshes!!
5. I went to Fenwick for the first time last year. It’s just a bunch of big houses and a golf course. No charm IMO and is just a more laid back version of Greenwich country club to me.
Proud , there aren't any smokestacks in Milford or Norwalk. I didn't see where anyone said anything about smokestacks in Fairfield. The only one's I know of are the ones you see off the highway in Bridgeport.
They're are pristine salt marshes and a wildlife preserve at Harborview.
I never said anything about anywhere being more rural than aywhere else.

Good God Almighty peeps, can we do this without being so defensive and protective? Just say - Oh yeah that's great, thanks for the info" and let it be. Just accept palpable facts.
You Nutmeggars love CT to no end, but the internal competitiveness borders on insanity, sheer anger and contempt. It reminds me of San Diegans. They HATE LA like you would not believe, yet LA people just shrug it off like SD doesn't even exist.

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

857 posts, read 518,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

Having grown up in Old Saybrook and golfed countless rounds at Fenwick, I've never understood fixation with Fenwick some people have. Fenwick is almost all summer houses and out of towners. They go out of their way to pretend that they are special, private community. It's nice to drive around and look at the classic cedar-shingle houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut