Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2024, 03:07 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I agree that New Haven has a big shot at winning.

However, I think you need to explore Milford more!

Yes, most of the town is fairly middle class (though even "cheap" looking homes are now 400k+, so it's becoming out of reach for many), but there are upscale areas. Mostly around the coast.

Examples:
- Laurel/Wildemere Beach area all the way to Smith Point
- Shell Ave/Trumbull Ave area
- Gulf Street from New Haven Ave south
- Point Lookout Neighborhood (someone bought a house and tore it down for 3.2 million!), In/Around Eveningside Dr, Southern Old Field Lane
- Much of the coast from Point Lookout all the way to Woodmont. Morningside and Woodmont in particular

Pretty much the entirety of the coast is $1+ million.

Then you have pockets of really nice inland neighborhoods. Some standout streets, Pond St, Governors Ave, Hitching Post, Founders Way, northern section of West River Street. Along the duck ponds.

Most new housing is $800k+, even inland. A development called Miranda Meadows in north Milford is all $1 million+ houses. The demographics have changed. 10+ years ago you'd find SFH new construction starting at around $400k. Not anymore.
Stylo, I am very familiar with the whole coastal stretch of Milford in between Walnut Beach and the Audubon Area? Which pretty much runs through Wildermere Beach and a number of other private beaches along the stretch. It's definitely nice housing and probably one of the more upscale areas of the town.

However, it still doesn't look like anything in comparison to areas like Southport, Fenwick, Southwest Guilford, or South-Central Madison. I'd say much of the areas you're talking about in Milford that I've been to is more so comparable to the nice / upscale areas of West Hartford, but NOT the areas of the state I just listed above.

I am not as familiar with the Woodmont Area or Southeast Milford. Is that area nicer than Southwest Milford along the southeastern coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 07:29 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Stylo, I am very familiar with the whole coastal stretch of Milford in between Walnut Beach and the Audubo

However, it still doesn't look like anything in comparison to areas like Southport, Fenwick, Southwest Guilford, or South-Central Madison. I'd say much of the areas you're talking about in Milford that I've been to is more so comparable to the nice / upscale areas of West Hartford, but NOT the areas of the state I just listed above.
Gentrification won't happen overnight because there are still mostly middle-class people still in those areas. But I bet in about 20/25 years Milford will start to look like the towns you mentioned.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:37 AM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
I think New Haven and Old Saybrook have best chance for a breakthrough. At the end of the day, I think Stonington is too remote and there isn't enough in Essex. Milford and Branford are upcoming, but probably not there yet. I hope they both do well.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I think New Haven and Old Saybrook have best chance for a breakthrough. At the end of the day, I think Stonington is too remote and there isn't enough in Essex. Milford and Branford are upcoming, but probably not there yet. I hope they both do well.
Understood! I will admit though, Branford is still quite a bit behind. It’s even less upscale than Milford. There’s a lot going for it with some great restaurants, but it’s more like East Lyme kind of town. The Downtown is great, and Stony Creek / Thimble Islands are very beautiful, but it’s not as upscale of a town overall, and I’m also unsure of any really special beaches. There are various smaller public beaches, but as far as I know there’s nothing like Jennings, The Surf Club, Walnut, or even Jacob’s Beach in Guilford.

Branford, Westport, and East Lyme are like a level below the other towns. They can have some great runs, but I don’t think they have enough to currently go all the way. I am a bit surprised about Westport as well, I’ll admit, because it’s a very upscale town, has a pretty downtown, and also has Sherwood, Saugatuck, and Long Shore Waterfront. Not exactly sure what holds Westport back. It’s not as diverse of a town though in terms of what it offers compared to the other towns.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:30 AM

Deadline for Round 1 is tomorrow at 10:00pm guys! Make sure to get all the last votes in!

Old 03-09-2024, 08:32 AM

Harwinton vs Ledyard is currently a draw! Need that tie broken!

Old 03-09-2024, 09:42 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Stylo, I am very familiar with the whole coastal stretch of Milford in between Walnut Beach and the Audubon Area? Which pretty much runs through Wildermere Beach and a number of other private beaches along the stretch. It's definitely nice housing and probably one of the more upscale areas of the town.

I am not as familiar with the Woodmont Area or Southeast Milford. Is that area nicer than Southwest Milford along the southeastern coast?
You just mentioned some of the most upscale areas of the country! No, no part of Milford compares to Southport. Guilford is Apples and Oranges, much bigger lots and more rural feeling.

I’d have to disagree on West Hartford. Nothing in West Hartford is like Laurel Beach. Again Apples and Oranges. The homes are large and many well over $2 million. And it’s coastal. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ipLreBBcUtRAs5Mp7?g_st=ic

Woodmont/Morningside etc are comparable.

Also, Pine Orchard in Branford is plenty high end.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:33 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Finally, alas, I was in W Hartord for the first time not long ago and I came away with this - I don’t get it, sorry just don’t get it. Moving along.

Dan if there any draws just change my vote to keep this moving. Let’s not get hung up with the Also Rans.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:24 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Finally, alas, I was in W Hartord for the first time not long ago and I came away with this - I don’t get it, sorry just don’t get it. Moving along.

Dan if there any draws just change my vote to keep this moving. Let’s not get hung up with the Also Rans.
Where in West Hartford were you? It’s kind of a big town.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You just mentioned some of the most upscale areas of the country! No, no part of Milford compares to Southport. Guilford is Apples and Oranges, much bigger lots and more rural feeling.

I’d have to disagree on West Hartford. Nothing in West Hartford is like Laurel Beach. Again Apples and Oranges. The homes are large and many well over $2 million. And it’s coastal. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ipLreBBcUtRAs5Mp7?g_st=ic

Woodmont/Morningside etc are comparable.

Also, Pine Orchard in Branford is plenty high end.
Fair Enough! Yeah maybe I went a little too far to say it was comparable to West Hartford, but I just have spent a lot of time there as well and know that West Hartford is also a fairly middle class suburb with some really nice areas that could be considered upper-middle-class.

On another note, which area would you say is more upscale between Southport and Fenwick? I've spent some time in both but not a lot and have always been curious on how they compare? I have no idea what the prices are like from the inside, but my guess is the average home would be around 1 million in both areas, and could easily go up to 1.5 or even 2 million for larger sized homes. From the parts I've seen, I do feel that Fenwick maybe has the slight edge to being a little more upscale? That is just an educated guess on my part though. A little hard to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut