Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reslinal View Post
We have started ski lessons for our kids for couple years now but they are still too young for sailing. We always thought the ski resort we go to is in the Greater Hartford area just because it's in the same general driving direction for us, but I just checked map and I guess it's not considered as greater hartford?

Hartford attractions like Science Center (which is superior to stepping stone unlike other general kids museums) are actually pretty good for multiple visits for young families, and there are some varieties in the events at XL center and Convention Center that make us keep coming back. New England air museum also is surprisingly big and interesting that we did repeat visits.

But other than those I agree that the other museums in Hartford/New Haven area are just visit once and done deals.
Any of the ski resorts in CT are fine for kids learning. Mohawk, Southington, Powder Ridge, Sundown. As long as there’s snow. Sundown has the steepest terrain. But it’s better to go outside CT once they get good.

You really think the Antheneum and Yale Art Gallery are one and done? British and Peabody museums are worth multiple trips too. Particularly British which has constant rotation of a very large collection.

Unless you mean kid orientated stuff

Last edited by Stylo; 03-05-2024 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
and even Wadsworth Museum, which surprisingly grabbed my kids' attention pretty well due to the variety of things there.
Wadsworth is great, but Yale Art Gallery edges it IMO

But yes there’s nothing else in the state like the Science Center or Air museum.

There is this smaller museum in Stratford

https://www.ctairandspace.org/

Old 03-05-2024, 10:16 PM

66 posts, read 24,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You really think the Antheneum and Yale Art Gallery are one and done? British and Peabody museums are worth multiple trips too. Particularly British which has constant rotation of a very large collection.

Unless you mean kid orientated stuff
I mean visiting those museums with kids Though we are not really into arts, so we are not likely to revisit those museums soon except for Peabody.

Last edited by reslinal; 03-05-2024 at 10:35 PM..

Old 03-06-2024, 04:54 AM

6,914 posts, read 3,750,537 times
New Haven and Hartford standalone are great for a one time museum browse and scarfing down some food after, and that’s it, cross it off the list, check the box. You’re not driving an hour or more for multiple CT science and Peobody visits, there’s no time for that. Locals might get memberships but not from afar.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:41 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
New Haven and Hartford standalone are great for a one time museum browse and scarfing down some food after, and that’s it, cross it off the list, check the box. You’re not driving an hour or more for multiple CT science and Peobody visits, there’s no time for that. Locals might get memberships but not from afar.
One time? You realize that there is always something new at these. We’ve visited them all multiple times. You seem to underestimate them.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I mean visiting those museums with kids Though we are not really into arts, so we are not likely to revisit those museums soon except for Peabody.
My kids weren’t into museums either but the Connecticut Science Center and surprisingly the Harriet Beecher Stowe House and Mark Twain House really captured them. Thats the thing about kids, you never know what or when they will be grabbed by an experience. I’d suggest you try them before completely dismissing something.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:57 AM

6,914 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
One time? You realize that there is always something new at these. We’ve visited them all multiple times. You seem to underestimate them.
You did? mmm ok
That's fine if you're local I guess

Old 03-06-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
You did? mmm ok
That's fine if you're local I guess
What’s local? We visited things in New Haven multiple times. Same with Mystic Aquarium.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Totally. But if they liked Anthenuem, why wouldn’t they like Yale Art Gallery? It’s a very similar collection. If not more diverse at Yale.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’ve probably been to Yale Art Gallery a dozen+ times. Always something new to discover. It’s a big museum. Can’t see everything in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut