Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 06:28 AM

11,308 posts, read 18,913,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
But things are a little different now. The MAIN reason they--and almost any sports team--struggled at the gate and with ratings was because they were generally terrible. But today the NHL has a hard salary cap and revenue sharing which helps small market teams. They had to lose an entire season to get one. But Tampa Bay has won 3 Stanley Cups since the Rangers last won one. Carolina has won one since the Rangers last won. I think at least part of that is due to the NHL's current financial structure.

There's still the issue of no Canadian teams winning the Cup in 30 years and almost none even making the Stanley Cup finals in that span. I get that they are basically just 20% or so of the teams so it won't be often but considering the sports' origins there and how it's to Canada what football (at one time I would've said baseball but not in recent decades) is to the US it's not a good look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 10:40 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,153,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
There's still the issue of no Canadian teams winning the Cup in 30 years and almost none even making the Stanley Cup finals in that span. I get that they are basically just 20% or so of the teams so it won't be often but considering the sports' origins there and how it's to Canada what football (at one time I would've said baseball but not in recent decades) is to the US it's not a good look.
I'm not sure that's about markets. Also we should remember at least Toronto is a very large market. So much so there have been rumors of adding a SECOND team there. Also I just looked this up and three Canadian teams rank in the top 10 for most valuable franchises: Maple Leafs 2nd, Canadiens 3rd, Oilers 7th. I have to think their lack of success may be more about bad personnel decisions and coaching.

Old 04-28-2024, 01:31 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,129,438 times
There was a nice column in the Post the other day about the antiquated state of the XL Center, even if the mods proposed got done.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:10 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
There was a nice column in the Post the other day about the antiquated state of the XL Center, even if the mods proposed got done.
The irony is the public funding of that and Gample Pavillion. Technically they compete with one each other and neither is really private. Gample is obviously better maintained and newer but XL still holds more.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:54 PM

34,962 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The irony is the public funding of that and Gample Pavillion. Technically they compete with one each other and neither is really private. Gample is obviously better maintained and newer but XL still holds more.
Speaking of Gampel, UConn wants to spend $100 million to rebuild and expand it. I can’t see it. That’s an insane amount of money for just a university basketball arena in a remote part of the state.

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uco...n-19422007.php

Old 04-29-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
West Haven wants to update Quigley, too..another dinosaur.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:57 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,153,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Speaking of Gampel, UConn wants to spend $100 million to rebuild and expand it. I can’t see it. That’s an insane amount of money for just a university basketball arena in a remote part of the state.

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uco...n-19422007.php

Do you know how much brand new arenas cost these days? You have to maintain and modernize them. It's going to happen.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:00 PM

397 posts, read 166,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

UConn's Gampel Pavilion could undergo $100 million renovation
Nothing in sports can be rationalized. None of it makes sense.

$100M to upgrade isn’t much in sports arena costs.

UConn men paid Kevin Ollie like $20M in his final contract and they just paid Dan Hurley a new deal for $32M and Geno for $15M. That’s what, almost $70M for coaches in the past 10 years.

I know it’s not the same thing but if $100M gets the arena by for the next 10-15-20 years, it’s kinda a necessity.

$250K for an out of state student to go to UConn. Better raise it a little more

Old 04-29-2024, 08:15 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,777,471 times
Giving the XL a fresh coat of paint isn’t raising eyebrows at NHL and NBA HQ. It will go unnoticed.
UConn has plenty of money to spruce up Gampel if that’s what they want. There’s plenty of out of state suckers born every minute willing to waste 200 plus in tuition for a desk jockey role at Aetna or Henkel

Old 04-29-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Giving the XL a fresh coat of paint isn’t raising eyebrows at NHL and NBA HQ. It will go unnoticed.
UConn has plenty of money to spruce up Gampel if that’s what they want. There’s plenty of out of state suckers born every minute willing to waste 200 plus in tuition for a desk jockey role at Aetna or Henkel
True. Each league has short lists for relos and/or new teams. The cities on such lists are fully aware of it, as are those who analyze the leagues. None feature a half century old, undersized, under average quantity of luxury suites arena.

That XL arena is perfect though for minor league hockey, and can host some minor shows, also.

Tweaking it is not going to change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut