Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 12:30 PM

21,848 posts, read 28,227,326 times

Advertisements

I think another big issue is simply space and cost. There’s not that much room for a stadium in Stamford and real estate is pricey, whereas Bridgeport is much less in demand so there’s lots of underutilized land—and an already identified parcel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 12:52 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,091,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think another big issue is simply space and cost. There’s not that much room for a stadium in Stamford and real estate is pricey, whereas Bridgeport is much less in demand so there’s lots of underutilized land—and an already identified parcel.
I can see that about Bridgeport, but Harbor Point was and continue to be built in areas that were built already. In fact, much of the current downtown was built in areas that were previously built. It wasn’t on virgin or underutilized land.

With the case of the UConn Stamford Branch which used to be in North Stamford near the Stamford Museum, it moved to downtown by acquiring the building and the parking garage that was across Washington Blvd where Bloomingdales used to be. In recent years they added housing a few blocks south of the campus on Washington Blved next to the Government Center and that too was built in an area previously built. The extension south of Tresser Boulevard of the Mill River Park, much of it is also going to be in areas that were previously built and that’s a government project. I don’t know what they will do with the very old cemetery on Richmond Hill Ave and Greenwich Ave, but south of that cemetery but north of I-95 and again south of the train tracks was a group of low buildings that were public housing now all eliminated. Almost all the houses that were on Clinton Ave between Tresser Boulevard and Richmond Hill Ave are completely eliminated with that area next to the river simply waiting for the intervention to extend the park. The houses on Clinton Ave between Tresser Boulevard and Main St were suppose to be eliminated too to make way for the extension of the park, but I don’t know if that is still part of the plan.

When there is a will, there is a way. Stamford is actually a testament of that.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:14 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Plus, the parcel is by downtown. I think the city could support minor league soccer sufficiently.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 1,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
Hartford has a professional soccer team: The Hartford Athletic.
I think the OP means a Major League Soccer (Division I) team. The Hartford Athletic are a USL Championship (Division II) team.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:27 PM

7,047 posts, read 3,826,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesBuccaneers View Post
I think the OP means a Major League Soccer (Division I) team. The Hartford Athletic are a USL Championship (Division II) team.
MLS would be great get for CT in either Hartford or Bridgeport. It compliments WNBA and AA Ball nicely.
Just keep it out of Stamford, we don’t need all that Messi traffic or whatever late stage career world class foreign player visits on the schedule

Old 05-11-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
MLS would be great get for CT in either Hartford or Bridgeport. It compliments WNBA and AA Ball nicely.
Just keep it out of Stamford, we don’t need all that Messi traffic or whatever late stage career world class foreign player visits on the schedule
Ahem…

Quote:
For decades, pro athletes have moved to Greenwich during their careers. Many have remained after.

They have raised families, built businesses, joined clubs, supported charities and sent their children to school in town.

A few who went on to play at the professional level were born and learned their sports in Greenwich.

Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, figure skating, tennis — athletes from across the spectrum shopped on Greenwich Avenue, visited Greenwich Point and ate in Old Greenwich restaurants.
Quote:
Over the years, Mets players including Joel Youngblood, Lee Mazzilli, George Foster, Billy Wagner, Tom Glavine, Carlos Delgado, David Cone, Pedro Martinez and Bobby Bonilla were Greenwich residents. Pittsburgh Pirates great and longtime Mets broadcaster Ralph Kiner lived here, too. Tim Teufel, who played for the Mets from 1986-91, was born and educated in town.
https://www.greenwichtime.com/local/...n-15545536.php

Now lets pretend they never went to downtown Stamford for anything…

Maybe you folks in the Norwalks, Bridgeports, New Havens of the world aren’t used to seeing famous people among your mist, but in Stamford famous people don’t even raise an eyebrow.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:02 PM

35,061 posts, read 57,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Quite frankly, I think Stamford should be the one choosen as the home of a CT soccer team with the promise the state would built them a new stadium somewhere in the city (preferably near I-95 or downtown/Harbor Point.)

Bridgeport has all these things that are superior to their equivalent in Stamford (an arena, an amphitheater, etc) when the state probably gets more in taxes from Stamford than Bridgeport.

Whenever the state proposes something for Fairfield County, Stamford/Norwalk should be the first considerations and only if it isn’t feasible there, places like Bridgeport becomes a third option.
Bridgeport is our states largest city. That means it has more votes and more power. Stamford doesn’t have a good site for a soccer stadium. What sites it does have are not near I-95 and the last thing the city needs is more traffic. Plus there aren’t a lot of service staff in the Stamford area to staff a stadium. Norwalk isn't much better. Plus note that those cities often attract businesses that get tax credits to relocate there. That adds up. I’d much rather see that than a stadium in either of these cities.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:27 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Any soccer stadium for Bridgeport would be the best thing to happen to it in decades. That site proposed IMHO should have been ticketed for development decades ago.

Old 05-12-2024, 04:20 AM

7,047 posts, read 3,826,553 times
I meant if there was an actual soccer game in Stamford featuring a big star player on a Friday night, that traffic would cripple the entire area. Let the Bridgeport area deal with that.
I doubt anyone cares or minds if Messi or Pete Alonso were to come up for a random dinner in Greenwich. There’s no snarls for that. Just give the pappz a heads up.

Old 05-12-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Any soccer stadium for Bridgeport would be the best thing to happen to it in decades. That site proposed IMHO should have been ticketed for development decades ago.
Maybe it has been for a while but never made it to reality. Much of Bridgeport isn’t liked by modern people, at least not as a place to live. I also don’t think Bridgeport is very attractive for companies to put up shop, an office or a headquarters. It has become that basically the people that move there for the most part don’t have much of a choice, because more often than not anyone that can choose any of the surrounding towns in lower Fairfield County typically will do so. As everybody knows, right now Bridgeport isn’t the most ideal place. In fact, one of the reasons it has many unbuilt places is due to the city having problems attracting developers from outside of town. That may change in the near future, but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut