Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM

217 posts, read 891,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsadc View Post
A job was offered to me in New Britain, we are currently in Washington DC and trying to look for good schools in other states as well as better career opportunities. The said job is in New Britain but we are clueless on where we should find an apartment or if possible purchase a new home. I need to be at the most 10 minutes away from the hospital (New Britain General Hospital in Grand Street) so i can attend to emergency cases when they call me in.

We would really appreciate any honest comments to this matter. Thank you for everyone's consideration.
Not in New Britain. high proerty taxes, bad schools high crime. Try PLainville west hartfod, farmington and newington . Good luck to you! Let me know if I could help anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,679 times
Default Hello Leon

Lived in CT all my life, own a few multi-family properties in a few towns including NB. Don't live in NB, we have lived there and rent to CCSU kids, but not a place for families (we moved when we had our son, and rented the house). Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Newington are great and affordable, all accessible to NB by Rte. 9, very easy highway, little traffic. W Hartford very nice, but expensive and a little "snooty". Berlin/Kensington should also be an option. If you do a yahoo search for "town rankings connecticut" - connecticut magazine does a nice job of breaking down the towns by crime, schools, cost of living etc. Welcome and good luck.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 PM

28 posts, read 195,499 times
Once again! I thank you all for all your info. May the Good Lord Bless your hearts.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Southington seems like it would be a good choice, since as you stated before that the two hospitals in New Britain and Southington merged. Southington is a good clean town, seems that many people tend well to their homes, which are on larger lots compared to Plainville, Newington, New Britain, plus very good access to I-84 (lots of on/off ramps) which can bring you to New Britain in 10-15 minutes. Home prices are a bit higher, almost double that of New Britain's, than surrounding towns. plus I believe all their schools are getting updates and expansions if they already haven't been completed- rated pretty good.

check out these website...I think these are the best choices
http://www.southingtonschools.org/
http://www.berlinschools.org/
http://www.southingtoncoc.com/southnigton-qol.html (broken link)
http://www.town.berlin.ct.us/content/18/default.aspx

Last edited by glxyman21; 01-16-2007 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 05:11 AM

thanks again folks! this really helps.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 14,272 times
Hello Rich... I see you are in Cheshire. That is the town I want to relocate to... any words of encouragement as far as the town goes? I know the schools are great, there's low crime and the economy is fairly strong. I drove through during an interview visit and loved it. Just want to hear some confirmations that it's a nice town... thanks!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Back in 1991, the towns that I was considering were Wolcott, Southington, and Cheshire. Cheshire won out but for reasons that most people would laugh at.

I was raised in a town where the village was in center of the town. I suppose that Cheshire reminded me a lot of it. Cheshire is also very north-south or east-west. Getting one's bearings the first time is quite easy.

Southington and Wolcott have roads that "wind" through them. Many of the properties are along the busy roads which are also the roads used by out-of-towners passing through. This is definitely more true in Wolcott than in Southington. Getting back to Southington, the features that I desire in properties (larger, level lot; some privacy; no sidewalks) were far from the I-84. I didn't want to take 15 minutes of preliminary travel time just to get to the highway to then start my commute.

Not everyone has the same criteria, and I'm just saying that this was mine.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 AM

hey guys, one more thing, what's up with the lyme? is it that bad or is it just people just talk more about it. need some info from somebody who's really from Connecticut. Thanks Folks!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
If you're talking about Lyme disease, it's not all that bad. However, it doesn't hurt to take preventive measures. I have five (5) dogs and make it a point to do the "tick check" whenever the weather reaches 50ºF (10ºC). I've had a tick attach itself to the back of my knee. I removed it within an hour of it attaching. I've heard that there's no cause for concern if the tick is removed within 24 hours.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 13,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsadc View Post
A job was offered to me in New Britain, we are currently in Washington DC and trying to look for good schools in other states as well as better career opportunities. The said job is in New Britain but we are clueless on where we should find an apartment or if possible purchase a new home. I need to be at the most 10 minutes away from the hospital (New Britain General Hospital in Grand Street) so i can attend to emergency cases when they call me in.

We would really appreciate any honest comments to this matter. Thank you for everyone's consideration.
We have lived in the town of Southington for well over 30 years. It is a relatively safe place to live and a great place for access to the interstate highways. Southington is approximately 10 to 15 minutes away from New Britain General Hospital. The school system here is okay, very sports
orientated with a Catholic elementary school in it.

Currently we are ready to leave Connecticut and retire to North Carolina. Our home is up for sale.

Any questions, just yell

Paulette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut