Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,374,349 times

Advertisements

Once again the long hot/humid summer season has over spread the East Coast. Highs topped out around 90 F in coastal CT and around 95 F inland CT (NYC and Newark hit 96 F, Baltimore 97 F, DC 96 F…etc). The THI (temp and humidity index) was about 105 to 110 F at almost every East Coast state from Florida to Rhode Island. The building Bermuda High looks like it be quite strong this year - the next several days should offer little change from the upper 90’s and tropical humidity. A front may make it to the East Coast by Wed/Thur and drop temps back to the lower 80’s with lower humidity (we hope).

Several people from the West Coast I’ve come to know, have commented how they find tropical/humid summers of the East Coast totally unbearable. People at work who used to live along the West Coast seemed to be quite aggravated at the sultry tropical conditions the last few days. A young girl from Monterey, CA said it felt like the Amazon - she said she could not take it another hour outside (we work outside often). They said it was so shocking that it was 77 F and humid at 3:00 am in the morning (lol). I found this so funny, I didn’t think it was that bad. It was only 90 F in Milford where I was. Again, people on the East Coast are used to it. Normal summer highs are about 68 F along the Central CA coast in June, so maybe 90 F feels unbearably hot to her - but I thought it wasn’t bad at all.

My question is to West Coast (especially coastal CA) transplants. Do you think it that’s bad? Are you that suprised the East Coast has such a different climate than the West Coast in summer? Do you think the sultry humidity keeps you inside? I am interested to hear coastal CA resident’s opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Let me chime in here:

I am a Wash DC area native who left there 30 years for Calif then Az.

Trust me: I had more trouble with those sticky DC summers than even Phx's so-called 'hellish' heat-------and, we do not have the foul winters to contend with either here

Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,221,227 times
I haven't lived in CA, but people I know from the region tell me they are not accustomed to the humidity-and to the fact that air conditioning is not common here. In fact, my kids are coming home from school early due to the heat today-no ac at school.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,036,215 times
The heat today is beastly- to say the least. In years to come if the climate scientists are correct in their predictions, this type of weather will become more the norm then the exception.

Coastal California denizens would not enjoy this kind of sultry weather- considering it rarely goes above 85 in the summer.

As for Phoenix- I visited the city in 2000, in early May- and although not humid- this was before the 'monsoon' -105 degrees is still hot- and the dry air made me feel parched.

With hotter weather becoming the norm here- Phoenix and Tuscon in years to come will see 100 plus weather from April to nearly November- with 110-120 degree weather common.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,681,990 times
I'd like to experience a dry southwest summer just one time to see what it's like. I live on the gulf coast and the air is so thick here you can just about cut it with a knife. ; )

Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The heat today is beastly- to say the least. In years to come if the climate scientists are correct in their predictions, this type of weather will become more the norm then the exception.

Coastal California denizens would not enjoy this kind of sultry weather- considering it rarely goes above 85 in the summer.

As for Phoenix- I visited the city in 2000, in early May- and although not humid- this was before the 'monsoon' -105 degrees is still hot- and the dry air made me feel parched.

With hotter weather becoming the norm here- Phoenix and Tuscon in years to come will see 100 plus weather from April to nearly November- with 110-120 degree weather common.
I have my doubts about Global Warming--------and, this year (2008) the temps has been below normal thus far here in the Phx area.

What bites for you folks in Ct, etc. is still having to deal with the foul winters though with 6" of snow hanging around for 1-2 weeks and the need for road salt to dissolve it----------which also rots rebar in concrete as well as cars/trucks.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'd like to experience a dry southwest summer just one time to see what it's like. I live on the gulf coast and the air is so thick here you can just about cut it with a knife. ; )
Having lived in a 'desert' climate most of my life (SoCal technically is a desert due to low avg. rainfall totals); I can assure you if the ambient temp is 105F or lower and you are in the shade---------it is not unpleasant. The direct sun can be a bugger though.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,027,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have my doubts about Global Warming--------and, this year (2008) the temps has been below normal thus far here in the Phx area.

What bites for you folks in Ct, etc. is still having to deal with the foul winters though with 6" of snow hanging around for 1-2 weeks and the need for road salt to dissolve it----------which also rots rebar in concrete as well as cars/trucks.
No no, that's what is GREAT about living in New England...3 months of this, 3 months of that, 3 months of something else and 3 months of this again.

I felt like a cat that couldn't lick itself in FL with it's three seasons - hot, hotter and hottest. Just out of sorts without my seasons.

Nothing better than getting a fresh blanket of snow and walking around in it while it's falling - so peaceful, so beautiful...of course then you fire up the snowmobile and shred it!

Aaaaah that looks so refreshing right now.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,036,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Doubts about Global warming? The empirical scientific information refutes that reasoning. Most scientists would totally disagree with you. Co2 in the past has caused earth's temperture to rise.

As for AZ -if temperatures continue to rise as many predict, by the year 2030 most of AZ will be nearly uninhabitable.

As for the doubters of Climate change-even Bozo the clown (GW Bush-acknowledges the problem) Fox News continues to present information that presents information that is well, the same as the Catholic Church tried to do 500 years ago in refuting evidence that the sun-and not the earth was the center of the solar system.

If the temperture reaches 100 degrees today in NYC- it will be the earliest date on record this has happened.

Climate Choices in the Northeast: Dramatically Changing Climates

Climate Choices in the Northeast: Extreme Heat in Our Cities

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-09-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,805 times
I am a transplant from the east to the west, and I am from Western New York, originally. I always thought everyone sweated like pigs in the summer and had to take five showers a day to keep cool during the summer heat! Then I moved out west….Arizona, Colorado and California.

It is soooo different! I live in the mountains above Santa Cruz, and because we have many micro-climates, it can be about 70 degrees at the beach, and 90 degrees up where I am – but it's a very nice and tolerable 90!! No sweat!

When I think about where I was raised and trying to sleep with no air conditioning, and only fans, and sweating all night, and tossing and turning, and then waking up and it was still warm and humid….oh my! Occasionally, I think about going back east and then I remember reality!

When I first moved out west, I recalled thinking to myself: "HOW do people live back east with no air conditioning??" People in the west use air conditioning, but it was a real eye-opener when I realized the difference in humidity. The eastcoast humidity was so horrible and yet there was a perfectly easy answer: air conditioning! We grew up with fans blowing all around, taking showers to keep cool, drinking lots of liquids, and swimming. I remember many a summer having a heat stroke and sitting in cold baths filled with ice and baking soda....not fun!

Now that I am close to retirement, I will most likely retire in the west – I do not think I could bear that humidity anymore. Thank goodness we live in a huge country and have lots of choices of places to live!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut