Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 PM

94 posts, read 162,039 times

Advertisements

Oh, and our weather, is much more like NY than MA. We are practically the same latitude as NY and MA is a bit north. You can see the real climatic differences when you look at a map of water temps. CT, like NY, has water temps from 75-80 this time of year. Meanwhile, the Cape struggles to get out of the upper 60s. This is the main reason why S. CT is [now] a humid subtropical biome whilst Boston remains cool temperate and Hartford warm temperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYanxfan View Post
Oh, and our weather, is much more like NY than MA. We are practically the same latitude as NY and MA is a bit north. You can see the real climatic differences when you look at a map of water temps. CT, like NY, has water temps from 75-80 this time of year. Meanwhile, the Cape struggles to get out of the upper 60s. This is the main reason why S. CT is [now] a humid subtropical biome whilst Boston remains cool temperate and Hartford warm temperate.
Yeah, exactly!
The Cape/Mass has a much more unbearable climate...very different from CT.
Why don't you think the Yankees would hold a trophy in New Haven?
They should do it in the Berkshires!
Also what is with that ahole Lucchino...why does he and kid Theo insist/obsess on CT/New Haven being ground zero?

My concerns are:

1) Will CTers gullable/impressionable enough to let this happen where they are influenced/swayed by the Boston agenda?

2) What are the Yankees/New York/and New York supporters response....they should not let Boston encroach without a fight.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:21 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
Well, I understand all of your points regarding differences in climate, character of towns etc. between E. Mass and SW Connecticut.

I have lived most of my life in the Boston area and have traveled throughout Connecticut and NY/NJ extensively. I am now in the south - whenever I return to the northeast - whether it be NY, Conn. or Boston, the differences in climate, landscape and building styles seem marginal - they are all very northeastern in general.

I think the real issue is that Fairfield County and most of New Haven county are part of the Tri-State area and are covered by NY radio stations and TV stations and therefore have access to Yankee games. So what if the Red Sox are trying to encroach? No one who is currently a Yankee fan in these areas is going to be converted and they will continue to be well-served. There may be more seven year olds growing up in the New Haven or Hartford area who will become Red Sox fans, but so what? It is not as if Connecticut has any pro team of its own anymore. People in Connecticut have to face the facts that unless they reside in FF county (which is legitimately NY territory), they have to look to bigger and better outside cities (Boston and NYC) for their entertainment (including sports) and enjoyment.

Also, it seems that many people in Connecticut have an inferiority complex with respect to where they live, having to identify with the largest city in the U.S. in order to feel elevated and consequently showing disdain toward Boston's "encroachment" because they feel it reinforces their secondary status somehow. Most of Connecticut (outside of FF county) has nothing to do with NYC/NJ/LI except for the long-distance commuters/house bargain hunters. Be glad that people in Connecticut have the option of having the best of both worlds.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:23 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Most of Connecticut (outside of FF county) has nothing to do with NYC/NJ/LI except for the long-distance commuters/house bargain hunters.
That's only a statement you can make if you're a CT resident or if you've lived here in the past. Otherwise, you really have no idea - No offense.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM

94 posts, read 162,039 times
As I think of it, there are many more ways in which the more NY oriented aspects of our state are censored. In textbooks, for example, hardly anything is mentioned about the Dutch that came from New York to set up trading centers along the Sound and the Conn. River. You will never stop hearing about Thomas Hooker and New England, New England, New England, New England, New England, and our "deep Boston-rooted puritan culture."

Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
I think the real issue is that Fairfield County and most of New Haven county are part of the Tri-State area and are covered by NY radio stations and TV stations and therefore have access to Yankee games.
Not anymore...Cox Communications out of Rhode Island has no interest in carrying New York/New Jersey stations.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
There may be more seven year olds growing up in the New Haven or Hartford area who will become Red Sox fans, but so what? It is not as if Connecticut has any pro team of its own anymore. People in Connecticut have to face the facts that unless they reside in FF county (which is legitimately NY territory), they have to look to bigger and better outside cities (Boston and NYC) for their entertainment (including sports) and enjoyment.
Uh yeh that is a problem.
How would Boston like if NY came and set up shop in Springfield or the Berkshires?

New Haven County and Litchfield are legit NY territories.
People in NH county commute to NY and FF County...in case you don't notice the industrialization of I-95 runs through most of NH County.

It's absurd that all of the sudden they suddenly become Boston focused because they are 'part of NE.'

The Giants played in New Haven too I might add.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Not anymore...Cox Communications out of Rhode Island has no interest in carrying New York/New Jersey stations.
So you don't get any NY NBC/CBS/FOX or YES/SNY/MSG?

Where is this...NH County or further away?

Also..do you think CTers are impressionable enough to in time become Bostonized/NEized or do you think the NY influence is not going to be diminshed?

I'm moving to CT..and I really am going to be OUTRAGED if it's like moving back to Boston again

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
[quote=JoeYanxfan;4627730] There is a HUUGGGE campaign to smother and overshadow the Tri-State mindset with Puritanical, Parochial, New Englandist attitudes.[quote]

Finally someone had the guts to say it!

I agree 100%!

That’s my main reason I will always be a Tri-State person and want nothing to do with “New England”. The attitudes of many people in New England are so boxed in and fixed…. that it creates a uncosmopolitan, isolated people who are more part of the last century than part of the next.

Sherlock Holmes once said “ the greater conceals the less”. This seems to be the case with the NY-Boston turf war across Connecticut. I think (and demographics back this up)…. Boston attempts to “New Englandize” Connecticut because they ARE LOSING market share in everything to the NYC based Tri-State area. It’s just the way it is.

Forget the weather is colder, alot more cloudy, they get way more snow, ice, the ocean is freezing up there, and there's nothing to do but count trees up there…it’s the standoffish attitude I can’t take.

Count me among the people who want nothing to do with the Boston or New England mindset!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 PM

54 posts, read 138,318 times
This is such an interesting thread. I just finished reading and it is funny how it shifted from sports to regional associations due to proximity. Now it is time for 2 cents from a newcomer!

When we were looking at homes we looked all over eastern Fairfield and western New Haven county. One thing we noticed was the similarities between people in Westchester County and people in Southern CT. They dress the same, speak similarly and have the same facial expressions. The pace of life here is quicker (even in small towns) than southern Jersey or the west coast. People drive very fast here on side roads and speak incredibly quick. I would say CT has among the fastest speaking populace in the country. The drivers here aren't bad like everyone says but are skilled. They have a lead foot but sometimes rolling through a stopsign or failing to brake for merging traffic has its benefits. Less people braking therefore less traffic. It makes sense to me though and this is probably why traffic in CT moves at a crawl rather than not move at all. People in other parts don't recognize this and think slamming on your brakes for merging traffic or stopping in the road to let someone pull out helps the traffic situation.

As for NY vs Boston...

My husband is die hard Sox. He wasn't born on the east coast nor did he grow up here. But even in Waterbury people speak of Manhattan as if it were ten minutes away, and speak of Boston as if it were 10 hours away. People in my new neighborhood are the same way. They call Manhattan ''the City'' and some pronounce their words with a slight NY twist. Nobody ever mentions Boston but it's natural not to. Boston is double the drive from Oxford and there is no mass transit serving the local towns around here to Boston (or even CT). Most of my neighbors work in Stamford or Norwalk, and the one exception is a commuter to Poughkeepsie (far!)

I hear quite loudly the poster who made reference to Boston's attitude problem. That unbelievable rudeness completely turned me off to eastern MA. I haven't come across people in CT like this yet other than on the CT boards, but I have yet to go up to the Hartford area.

Southern CT seems like just an extension of NY. If I saw most anyone from southern CT in WA state where we moved from, they would definitely be singled out as a ''New Yorker.''
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut