Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 20,169 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Hartford area from Chicago. My husband would be working in downtown Hartford and we would look to purchase a home in Avon, Simsbury or Farmington (based on area that people have suggested here, we have a 3 year old son and are interested in areas with the best schools).

I'm looking for a great pre-school to send our 3 year old. We're not looking for a daycare or a place with extended hours. Just a great program with great teachers for 3 mornings a week. He had a great school here in Chicago and I'm anxious about finding another place with a good fit in Connecticut since we love our current school so much.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
IF you send me a DM (direct message) I can give you the name of one in Avon that was WONDERFUL with my son....only reason we aren't doing the same school this year is because we moved a considerable distance away....
Great teachers, small class sizes and a nice newer facility...super convenient location as well.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 AM

94 posts, read 162,178 times
Simsbury's is the top-rated school-system of the three, but they are all rated highly in the state. Farmington's is the worst (still not bad) of those three. The large socioeconomic disparities in town create an ongoing tension between social groups (e.g. Devonwood, Unionville, East Farmington Heights, Talcott Mountain, condo-dwellers). I have known many families that have yanked kids out of the high school just because the atmosphere is so bad and kids are so nasty to each other--but, again, the academics are still pretty good. Having attended school in Farmington as a kid (in the 90s), I can attest to the conflicts that may arise and the quality of education. Simsbury and Avon are definitely quieter and less problematic for children. All three towns may be considered "snob" towns by outsiders.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:29 AM

13 posts, read 141,830 times
A lot of places have gone the total daycare route because it is what working parents demand. That said, I know of, and have heard great things about, one traditional nursery school in your area -- the Farmington Early Learning Center (www.felc.net).

Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 PM

27 posts, read 98,195 times
I live in Farmington and have so for the last 10 years.
At one point I lived in the Chicago-land area (Crystal Lake, Woodstock) and worked in and around Chicago.

There are plenty of places for your kids to attend pre-school. I can think of several off the time of my head that may suit your needs. Avon, Farmington and Simsbury are all nice towns. They have their own pluses and minuses.

Let's get something straight right off the bat, you can't go wrong with any of these places. All three (3) towns have top-notch schools. There are more private schools in and around these towns than any other area in Hartford County.

Now having said that the public schools are excellent. In fact, when comparisons are made we're talking about degrees of excellence, not bad, better, best. All three towns take their education very seriously.

Avon is the more retail/commercial of the three and has a decent blend of residential and business. Taxes are on the high-side. The schools are good. Housing prices are of the three in the middle.

Farmington has a nice blend of Residential and Business and their schools are top notch just like the others. This town of all three has the widest range of housing prices. Devonwood is one of the more expensive developments. Somersby is a little known development that has a ton of nice houses without the quantity of Devonwood. Farmington taxes are the lowest of the three towns.

Simsbury is more of a bedroom community than the others. It has more working farms and has some businesses. It has the highest taxes of the three towns.

Look, all three towns are nice. Farmington is the smaller of the three, followed by Avon, then Simsbury. I believe all three towns have had schools that made the Blue Ribbon status nationally.

Depending on your husbands desired commute and where he's going to be working in Hartford, that may dictate which one you choose.

If you want a recommendation on a Realtor, let me know. We had our house built, if you're looking at this path, let me know and I'll get you some contact info on a good builder/developer.

We had a very similar search and we choose Farmington. We based this on finances, schools, location/commute.

Again, you can't go wrong with any of them...

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut