Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of accent do you have?
Standard American English (most national new anchors) 13 22.41%
New England influenced (E MA, RI, etc) 6 10.34%
Northeastern influenced (N NJ, SE NY, S/W CT) 21 36.21%
Philadelphia/Mid-Atlantic influenced (E PA, S NJ) 0 0%
Southern influenced 8 13.79%
Canadian influenced 1 1.72%
Mid-Western influenced 2 3.45%
Other/Hybrid (please post) 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 PM

94 posts, read 162,024 times

Advertisements

An earlier thread got me curious, what is your accent and where in the state do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
What about the "Hartford area" accent...oh there is one, rest assured and it's not Boston, or NYC.

For instance. It's not "Man-chest-er" It's "Man-chess-er"

It's not "too" it's "ta".

T's become D's many times when at the end of a word. I.E. It's not Naugh-TEE it's "Naugh-DEE" Or not "Snotty" it's "snoddy" "Tanatti" is "Tanaddy"

You also missed the Naugatuck Valley Accent.

The one that says "Naugaduck"

Last edited by JViello; 08-07-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,695 times
Northeastern influenced for sure.

I lived out in Los Angeles for a year and a few people told me that I had a 'New England' accent hah.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:29 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,722 times
I grew up outside the Buffalo area and we would get Canadian TV. I loved it. I was fascinated with the accent. I probably have what's considered "standard American English." I was told by a co-worker at my current job (in CT) that I had an accent which I thought was pretty funny. If I ever moved to Canada, down south or the UK I would probably pick up the accent rather quickly.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 AM

170 posts, read 648,594 times
Let's see, I was born in Cali, spent most of my childhood in the Southwest, moved to Long Island, and then attended middle school/high school in CT so I'd say I'm pretty mixed depending on my age when I first learned a word. I just recently visited a friend in SoCal and he said the way I say BMW is northeastern (whatever that means haha).

Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Southern influenced.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Within New York, there are five boroughs. To the well trained ear, each borough has it's own "accent". If you listen carefully, you can definitely hear my Bronx come through every so often.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, there's a "cuppa cawfee" waiting for me.

Charley

Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM

31 posts, read 76,417 times
I live north of Dallas, Tx. I am a genuine Texan and believe it or not have a non-descript accent after working at it for quite a few years. Although I am 'fairly' proud to be from Texas, I do not like the Texas accent, in general.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
A political add triggered memory of another "Hartfordism".

It's not "Can-did-ate" it's "Can-did-dit" Give the an in "can" a nasaly emphasis. Ask "Moira" running for the 8th district.

I think some of the Hartford region "accent" sounds trashy and uneducated personally. If you hear someone say "I have ta go to Manchesser to get some cigrets before votn for da candiddit" I don't think you would consider them to "classy".

Old 08-12-2008, 04:17 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
A political add triggered memory of another "Hartfordism".

It's not "Can-did-ate" it's "Can-did-dit" Give the an in "can" a nasaly emphasis. Ask "Moira" running for the 8th district.

I think some of the Hartford region "accent" sounds trashy and uneducated personally. If you hear someone say "I have ta go to Manchesser to get some cigrets before votn for da candiddit" I don't think you would consider them to "classy".
The correct pronunciation of (a political) candidate is "can did dit."

"Can did date" is a verb. Think of "high school graduate (noun)" and "to graduate high school (infinitive form of verb + direct object)."

The one that gets me is "often." The "t" is silent just like in soften! (Thanks Mrs. Spallina, my 5th grade elementary school teacher.)

While we're at it, it's "often" without the "times." "Times" is built in! You never hear anyone say "sometimestimes," right?!

This just goes to show how uneducated folks are negatively influencing the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut