Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,276 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just found this site and am sooo happy. I have been reading through threads but couldn't exactly find something on point.

Here is my story, I'm moving from Michigan and going to be working in Hartford. I am looking for a suburb to rent in right now, preferably a townhouse. Not sure which neighborhoods are good. I have two toddlers and am looking for safe neighborhood, close to highways. Any suggestions? I have been told West Hartford, Bloomfield and Farmington. Is there anywhere else anyone could suggest that would fit my criteria?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Budget, Budget, Budget...Without knowing that it's like p*ssing in the wind.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
Hi and welcome to CT..soon I hope so . West Hartford is a great town and so much to do. It is a very safe town and a perfect place with little children. (I have three myself) Katja

Last edited by JayCT; 11-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Removed advertising

Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,418,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Budget, Budget, Budget...Without knowing that it's like p*ssing in the wind.
Yup. Name your monthly budget and we can help.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
It would also help to know where in Hartford you are working. I would not recommend living on one side of Hartford and then commuting to a job on the other side of the city. Traffic getting through downtown is tough so if your job if your job is east of HArtford I would look at towns on that side of the city. The same if your job is west of downtown, look at towns to the west.

Taht said it would also help if you told us what type of town you want. Do you want an urban area, suburban or rural? How close to shopping do you want to be? Are schools important? You meniton young children but you may want settle in a ocmmunity for a long time so you should consider the schools if you do. Jay

Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,276 times
Thanks everyone, forgot to put all those things in. Not sure what part of Hartford, its Hartford Hospital, if that helps. I'm just looking to rent right now, around $2500/month.
I would love to be close to highways/parkway, shopping, schools not so important yet b/c they are toddlers. I'd like to learn the state before buying anything yet. Don't want rural, suburban is best for us.

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Hartford hospital is convenient to a lot of towns. I would first suggest looking south of Hartford at towns like Wethersfield, Rocky Hill and Newington. You would not even have to get on a highway if you lived in these towns so the commute would not be difficult. Your budget should get you a nice home. You might also consider Glastonbury which is an upscale suburban town southeast of Hartford. Jay

Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
That is a healthy budget. The towns Jay mentioned are good. West Hartford is very close too, the only problem being that you have to drive through some sketchy areas to get to Hartford Hospital from the west. That said, it's just driving - not like you have to walk through those neighborhoods at night or anything. West Hartford has a great walkable downtown with shops, restaurants and bars if you are looking for that. That's one thing the other towns lack. I'd cross out Bloomfield, and keep Farmington on the list only if you don't mind a longer commute (20-35 minutes, depending on traffic).

Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Hartford hospital, $2500 per month, suburban.

Rocky Hill/Newington/Wethersfield line (Area where they all come together specifically between New Britain Ave, and Prospect Street, West of I91 and East of the Berlin Turnpike/RT15), South Windsor are the middle class areas and nice.

Simsbury, Avon, Glastonbury (And Farmington with a little more commute time) are upper middle class towns and you should still be able to find a rental for that budget.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

Something like this in Rocky Hill is about normal:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/59...59037388_zpid/

Simsbury:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...57766743_zpid/

Avon:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14...59011055_zpid/

Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 PM

I do not know that I would recommend Avon and Simsbury when commuting to Hartford Hospital though I know a lot of people do. Avon and Simsbury are located in the Farmington River Valley which is on the other side of a small mountain range west of Hartford. There are limited roads out of the valley and none of them are particularly good. On top of that there is a lot of traffic on these roads and they can be difficult in bad weather. Unless you work downtown or west of it, I do not think it is worth it but I know many people do. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut