Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times

Advertisements

We just moved AWAY From torrington and my DH works at ESPN.

He HATED that commute....not to mention the schools in Torrington STINK!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 12:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
You can take rte 8 to 84 and get off in Southington, but going thru waterbury the commute will be like 45 minutes if not more during rush hour.
Or get off rte 8 in Terryville and drive through that town AND plymouth before reaching Bristol....It's not a fun commute...specially with gas prices.

Bristol schools IMO are a bit better then Torrington and youll get more house for your money. Start their i'd say then when you have kids get to around 5 start considering surrounding areas, in that many years you may have a different financial situation

Old 08-09-2008, 02:20 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Wow! I guess traffic has really increased since I lived there. When I lived in Torrington it only took me about 25 minutes to get to Bristol. If I took the back roads it took me 30 minutes. Possibly, it has something to do with where you live in Torrington. I wasn't far from Rt 8.

You mentioned getting off in Southington, isn't that about where ESPN is located (Southington/Bristol line)?
Why wouldn't you take the Route 6 exit (Thomaston/Plymouth) off of Route 8 and follow Route 6 East to Route 229 in Bristol?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 33,821 times
Default More questions

Thanks everyone for your comments! DH and I appreciate the feedback. Please, please, please keep the advice coming.

In response to some of the posts, we'd be moving from Augusta, GA, so you guessed it, our biggest concern is the vast difference in cost of living and real estate prices. (And a home in CT would be our first!)

We don't mind a starter home at all, especially since we have no kids yet. We'd consider renting, but over the years, we've rescued four dogs, so we feel pretty sure that that limits our ability to find places who'd let us rent. (Could we be wrong about this?)

So basically we're looking for a decent sized home (at least 1,200 sq. ft. and prefer 3 beds/2 baths but would "settle" for 2 beds/1.5 baths) in a safe area with a nice sized fenced yard. Another thing, we live in GA so every house comes standard with central air, but we've noticed that many CT houses we've looked at online don't have central air but only individual units or no cooling system at all. Is central air becoming more of a necessity in the summer months there?

And one last question, what are your thoughts about Wallingford and Manchester and the houses in these areas?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Wallingford is an attractive community, close to New Haven- I would be concerned about the commute to Bristol however=rather long.

Manchester is a town which also offers much in the arts, shopping, an excellent Community College, and an improving Main street- but the commute to Bristol via I 84 at times may be congested (although the time and traffic far less then that of Atlanta) Housing prices in Manchester, and neighboring Vernon are most attractive.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-10-2008 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times
You are correct, four dogs would make it almost impossible to find a rental.

Wallingford and Manchester would be less than ideal for commuting to Bristol, if your spouse will be working during normal hours. Manchester would work from a cost perspective, but Wallingford probably would not, it's pricey.

The budget you mentioned would allow you to get a 3 bed, 1.5 bath house in most of the towns that have been talked about. Lot size really will vary on the town. And fences are always hit or miss, I haven't really seen a pattern here where people fence or not. It seems to be a personal need or preference. So you may find a house you like and need to end up fencing the yard.

Central A/C is really not necessary here, but it's always a nice to have. I have another friend that moved here from Atlanta (spouse works at ESPN) and she was surprised with no central A/C as well, but now says she realizes it's okay with just window units. If you're prioritizing needs for a house, you might want to put A/C a little lower on the list, simply because it's not necessarily common so you'd be limiting your options.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Look at Southington and Plainville, they will be your best bet. In your price range you can expect a 3 bedroom house, a smaller older cape or ranch from about the 1960's and earlier. Your property tax would probably be somewhere around $3,000/year. Though your money will stretch a bit further in Plainville than Southington. The tax rate in Southington appears lower while Plainville appears higher, but the lower value of property in Plainville vs. the higher value in Southington might make it a wash as for property tax. You can be within 15 minutes to work which I think is a major benefit!

Central A/C is not as common (though it is for new construction) summers here are normally humid, but people do install central a/c into older homes. For fences- again not that common. I would say they're most common if someone has a pool or had animals, or if the lots are small. it is hit or miss.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:10 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Just moved from CT to TN 11 months ago.

First, it will be hard to find a rental with dogs. Depending on the breeds you own, you may want to check if their are laws in those towns regarding certain breeds which are banned in some towns.

Yes, your real estate taxes are higher in CT, you will have the car tax each year, and remember that heating your home will be more expensive (oil, gas) than in GA (electric). My neighbor back in CT with an 1,100 sq ft home paid over $3,000 for heating oil last year, plus her electric bill of approximately $120-$160 a month (CT's electric is the highest in the country). Their real estate taxes were $4,000.

I just wanted to let you know all the expenses you will need to budget for.

I did live in Wallingord for awhile which is a nice community as well as South Windsor.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:23 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
There are good options in your price range in West Hartford, too. West Hartford has a highly regarded school system, charming neighborhoods, excellent retail options, and it's about 30 minutes from Bristol. You will find at least a few choices for a 1200 sq ft house 2-3 bed/1.5-2 bath, without central A/C and with a yard/lawn that may be a little smaller than what you're picturing. Nevertheless, West Hartford is (in my opinion) one of the best places to live within commuting distance of Bristol. I would choose it over the other towns that have been mentioned.

Cheshire is a very nice town nearby, but as of right now, I see only 4 listings in the $200k-250k range that *might* fit your needs.

Wallingford and North Haven are nice, but they are a 40-45 minute commute to Bristol. That would only make sense if you plan to find a job closer to southern CT (eg, in the New Haven area).

Old 08-10-2008, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 16,238 times
Just to clear things up: Torrington is in the Northwest Corner of CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut