Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNYC View Post
I think I remember reading on here that Ridgefield was expensive. How much more expensive is it than Fairfield? Is it possible to find a home that doesn’t need to be completely renovated for up to 600k on at least close to an acre? How are the folks there, pleasant and down to earth or…not?
It was my understanding that that Ridgefield was $$$. Whenever I've looked at homes there the ones that seemed more financially feasible were described as Charming, Diamond in the Rough, Vintage, or Antique.

These descriptions usually make me think:
Charming= That 70's show or Dick Van Dyke interiors
Diamond in the Rough= Needs Work
Vintage= Old - very little up to code
Antique= Very old, lots and lots of constant care required
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I think you could find something in your price range in Ridgefield, but it would need work. Probably lots of work.

As for Monroe and Trumbull, neither have walkable downtown areas with quaint shops like Ridgefield does. There are shopping centers limited to route 111 and Rt. 25 in Monroe, and Trumbull has shopping centers along Rt. 111, and a few other areas of town as well. Monroe is less developed than Trumbull, with larger lots, mostly one acre+, and large, beautiful parks with several hundred acres. Many of the neighborhoods in Trumbull are more densely developed on much smaller lots. However there are some beautiful areas of Trumbull, such as Tashua, where many homes are on one+ acre. Both towns are very desirable, with very good schools. And you will get more house for your $$ there than in Ridgefield. (although Tashua is pricey)

The downside, your commute will be much longer coming from Trumbull and Monroe, especially Monroe.

Have you considered Bethel, to the east of Ridgefield?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM

184 posts, read 842,674 times
There was a lot of building in Ridgefield in the 60s and 70s and many of the "affordable" homes are period ranch style homes. In this part of the country, these ranches are considered less desirable than the colonial, but there are so very many of them in Ridgefield that I don't think it hurts your investment too much. Many have been nicely updated. It's definitely worth exploring if you know you want to be in Ridgefield. All sorts of people live in Ridgefield

Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 PM

46 posts, read 163,406 times
city of fairfield....

Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyboger08 View Post
city of fairfield....
Fairfield is a town, not a city. If you call fairfield a city, most residents will jump all over you, even though it has over 50,000 people. Jay

Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield is a town, not a city. If you call fairfield a city, most residents will jump all over you, even though it has over 50,000 people. Jay
I have always been amazed that in Fairfield with 50k+ people it really feels like a town of 30k. The same can't really be said for Greenwich (another place where residents object to being referred to as a 'city').

Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 38,235 times
Rob -

As a NYer moving to this town, I had the same reaction when I drove through Main St! The town is bustling on most Saturdays, so Im pretty sure what you saw is not unusual. They also have outdoor concerts in the park (every Tuesday I think?). We also looked into Westport, Wilton and Fairfield, but decided to go with Ridgefield because of the sense of community and overall friendliness of the town.

I have taken the shuttle from the Katonah train station to Ridgefield and there were many others on the bus doing the same commute (the train ride is 60 min). I work in midtown so its about 1hr 40min door-to-door.

In the 600-625k range I don't think it would be a challenge to find an acre or more. Its slim pickings from what I just looked up, but you might want to wait it out and see what might come down the next month or so. I personally think it would be well worth it!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNYC View Post
So my wife and I spent a lovely weekend in CT…and it has made us rethink everything we were looking for.

We only got to see Southport, University area, and Tunxis. I really think Fairfield is a fabulous town with so many amenities, things to do, and it’s location, it really can't be beat if you want a town that will provide you with a bit of everything.

We then visited friends in Weston. It too was very beautiful but very different. Weston is actually what I think of when I think of Connecticut - dense tree lined hilly roads and homes generously spaced apart.

I know I stated in my initial post that we didn’t want too much isolation (being from NYC) but after visiting Weston I think that’s exactly what the doctor ordered. I mean, I still don’t want to be 10 miles from the nearest grocery store but I also don’t want to be too close to my neighbor. Not that I don’t like people or I like to have crazy parties but, if the mood struck me, I would like to be able to sit on my deck and drink my morning coffee in my underwear .

So it was suggested that we drive up and check out Ridgefield. Well, the moment we turned on to Main Street, my wife’s jaw hit the floor. It was the town in her dreams, bustling with people walking the streets, outdoor cafes, little mom and pop shops, beautiful boutiques. There was even a band playing outside a small municipal building. I got to say I was pretty impressed as well. Apparently, the town was celebrating their 300th year anniversary or something – we thought it was like this every Saturday night… lol!!

So as of right now, this is where we want to live. Obviously, this means my commute to NYC just got 30 minutes longer on the train but looking at the map of the Metro North it looks as if its possible to go to Westchester and get the train there. Does anyone do that? Is it worth it, does it save anytime?

I think I remember reading on here that Ridgefield was expensive. How much more expensive is it than Fairfield? Is it possible to find a home that doesn’t need to be completely renovated for up to 600k on at least close to an acre? How are the folks there, pleasant and down to earth or…not?

Also, now that I’m going to be commuting longer to work, how does Trumbull and Monroe compare/contrast to Ridgefield? How are the schools? Are homes priced any better? Is there a town similar to Ridgefield’s Main Street? How safe is Bridgeport’s train station at 5am and at 7pm?

Thanks, Rob.
You can find a decent 3 bdrm, 2 bath in Ridgefield for around $500k. I have done a bit of research and the prices will surprise you. Plus, prices have dropped a ton since Jan of this year.
I love Westport and New Canaan's town centers--very similar to Ridgefield's. I like New Canaan's the best. But, the prices in Westport/New Canaan are outrageous.
Ridgefield really does look and feel southern to me...the homes are gorgeous. Take a look at prices--you'll be surprised at how low they can be. The biggest downside to Ridgefield is the lack of direct Metro North access in the town itself.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
You can find a decent 3 bdrm, 2 bath in Ridgefield for around $500k. I have done a bit of research and the prices will surprise you. Plus, prices have dropped a ton since Jan of this year.
I love Westport and New Canaan's town centers--very similar to Ridgefield's. I like New Canaan's the best. But, the prices in Westport/New Canaan are outrageous.
Ridgefield really does look and feel southern to me...the homes are gorgeous. Take a look at prices--you'll be surprised at how low they can be. The biggest downside to Ridgefield is the lack of direct Metro North access in the town itself.
I love Ridgefield too - I also found that another downside was no real access to a major highway. You have to go to Danbury for 84, Norwalk/New Canaan for the Merritt or over the border via 35 to 684. I guess that's part of the charm of Ridgefield though.

Fiancee and I are currently looking for homes in CT. I keep checking Ridgefield out on Realtor.com hoping something in my price range comes up - so far, no such luck.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I love Ridgefield too - I also found that another downside was no real access to a major highway. You have to go to Danbury for 84, Norwalk/New Canaan for the Merritt or over the border via 35 to 684. I guess that's part of the charm of Ridgefield though.

Fiancee and I are currently looking for homes in CT. I keep checking Ridgefield out on Realtor.com hoping something in my price range comes up - so far, no such luck.
Yeah, you're right! It really is tucked away--out of the way!! Good and bad I suppose...well, depends on the price range! I see houses I'd live in regularly posted on realtor.com--coming up for less than what we paid for our house in Stamford....but, we'll never leave Stamford...just dreamin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut