Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 28,166 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum. We just moved to Connecticut – Hartford Area couple of months back. We are looking forward to purchase our first home (single family detached PUD) in South Windsor, CT.

Y’day we did the home inspection and the inspector told us that the property is on the wetland. Not sure we should worry about it or not? The property is in Fitch Meadow development on Route 5.

Any information would be very helpful for us to make a decision.

Last edited by appu; 08-20-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: changed the font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
That area around John Fitch BLVD (US route 5) is in the Flood Plain of the Connecticut River. Flooding here is uncommon- but happens on average in some areas in the flood plain about 4 times a century. With climate change-all bets are off in the future.

my advice is to call the town of South Windsor and inquire about the area and the zoning given to the developer - they should be able to answers your questions fairly.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-20-2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Thank you very much for your reply. I shall call the town office to get more details.

In general what are all the issues when you have home in the wetland? Couple of them i found based on my research

1) I have talked to the neighbors and they were telling me about the insects issues are the most such as mosquito and ants.
2) I had seen couple of trees were fallen in the near by woods. There is couple of trees about 10 ft’s away from the structure, so it worries me that it may fall as well. Would that be the case?

Sorry if I am asking very basic questions.

BTW, as per the inspector the foundation is in good shape, there is no basement in the home, so it is nearly impossible for me to visually see what is underneath though

Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Insect infestation here is common- I have had carpenter ants- and do not live in a floodplain-mosquitoes can breed anywhere in CT- swamps with standing or stagnant water that are far from a floodplain can have them.

Trees that are fallen can be attributed to insect disease- be they in a floodplain or not-

If there is no cellar- problems should be less- but I would hire a home inspector & geologist/geographer to check the water drainage of that area- and history of floods.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
I'm not sure you have a lot to worry about, especially since there is no basement. Since you will be buying a PUD, there are probably already restrictions in place on what you can do to your home. Also, how wet is wet? You can be in on wetlands and not necessarily have a wet environment all the time. About 1/4 acre of our property is on wetlands. its really only wet during a lot of rain and in the spring. Not really any buggier than any other yard because the brook is constantly moving and our yard is pretty open and sunny except where it borders the water. There are restrictions on expanding our home too much and no inground pool, but other than that we haven't had any problems and since you will be in a PUD, i'm assuming there are already restrictions on any home expansion. You can check on FEMA's site too for flooding zones by street address...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,834 times
Make sure you check with the town of South Windsor and clarify if the property is in a flood plain or just wetlands. Your home owner's insurance will be much higher if the house is actually in a flood plain.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM

skytrekker, thanks again for your response.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I'm not sure you have a lot to worry about, especially since there is no basement. Since you will be buying a PUD, there are probably already restrictions in place on what you can do to your home. Also, how wet is wet? You can be in on wetlands and not necessarily have a wet environment all the time. About 1/4 acre of our property is on wetlands. its really only wet during a lot of rain and in the spring. Not really any buggier than any other yard because the brook is constantly moving and our yard is pretty open and sunny except where it borders the water. There are restrictions on expanding our home too much and no inground pool, but other than that we haven't had any problems and since you will be in a PUD, i'm assuming there are already restrictions on any home expansion. You can check on FEMA's site too for flooding zones by street address...
Thanks for your reply. It gives me much useful info.

I have requested the listing agent to provide me the PUD restrictions doc. yet to receive it.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Make sure you check with the town of South Windsor and clarify if the property is in a flood plain or just wetlands. Your home owner's insurance will be much higher if the house is actually in a flood plain.
Good tip Amy. let me check on that...

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,834 times
Do you have an agent working with you? They should have found out the wetlands/flood plain info beforehand. Also, the PUD documents should be provided to you as part of your purchase contract. There should have been a form submitted with your offer regarding this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut