Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 15,675 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am doing the research to move from the Richmond, VA area to CT. I have narrowed the choices down to the following based on median rent price data found on this site. The choices are New Milford, Torrington, and New Haven. Any information on these areas would be appreciated. I need somewhere that has walkable stores or public transit. I will be moving without a vehicle unless these areas require a car, then I will purchase one before moving. Please give pros and cons for each place. I am not concerned about schools yet as my son is only two.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Torrington seems like an odd choice out of the 3. It has much lower rent and is generally more isolated than the others. It would be my last choice for a number of reasons and I'm sure you'd be disappointed by it coming from Richmond.

New Haven is the most walkable and many people live downtown without a car. You want to pick a safe area though as some neighborhoods can be very dangerous. Downtown, East Rock, Wooster Square are good bets for walkability.

Milford has walkable sections, but it helps to have a car. If you want walkability, you really want to live downtown. It's totally possible to live there without a car, but again - generally easier with one.

Last edited by Stylo; 01-19-2014 at 10:45 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 PM

679 posts, read 1,191,138 times
Op says New Milford and not Milford-- 2 separate towns. New Milford north of Danbury, Milford west of New Haven. I've done it before, too! Milford is much better than New Milford-- to Op, go with Milford. NM has a dead downtown, very little transit, and is very car dependent.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 PM

thank you, I picked the three because of the rent. I work in food service and only make about 22,000 here in Richmond not sure what the amounts for that type of work is in CT. I am originally from Chicago so I am very adaptable. The main concern right now is to be somewhere walkable and inexpensive so that I don't have to burn my savings on a car just yet as I will need it for other expenses.

Stylo please give me your reasons about Torrington as I need to know as much as possible before making a decision.

Tubeworm I looked at Milford but ruled it out as my Significant other wants to be more inland. Can you give your opinions on New Haven and Torrington.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 PM

New Haven is not inland. What is wrong with the coast that he doesn't want to be there? Most of the walkable areas, and the most robust public transportation is on the coast.

There are FEW walkable areas - and even fewer that are affordable.

New Milford and Torrington are not very walkable. Torrington's downtown is not great and doesn't offer much and is kind of trashy. New Milford has a small downtown, but little housing there and poor connectivity to public transportation.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM

Thank you,

That will eliminate New Haven then. So back to Torrington and New Milford or other places like them that could be feasible. As I said I need somewhere inexpensive and walkable for now.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 PM

I don't understand what difference it makes inland/coastal? Does he like more significant snow accumulation?

I'm sorry, but New Haven is really your only bet for a livable, walkable city in the state that isn't really expensive like Stamford. Inland, maybe West Hartford - but it's not cheap, and you'd have to live in the center which can get pricey.

Torrington and New Milford will require a car. New Milford is nice, but sort of rural. Torrington is cheap for sure, though not a desirable place to live and the local economy is not good.

You're coming from Chicago/Richmond and New Milford and Torrington are nothing like those places. They are small towns, and mostly suburban or rural.

Last edited by Stylo; 01-19-2014 at 11:53 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM

LOL... I know I don't really understand it either but he has thing about being near large bodies of water. When I said moving to CT he said as long as we were not near the coast. Thanks again. I will research New Haven more

Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEH43 View Post
LOL... I know I don't really understand it either but he has thing about being near large bodies of water. When I said moving to CT he said as long as we were not near the coast. Thanks again. I will research New Haven more
That doesn't make any sense. Is he afraid of storms? Unless you are living DIRECTLY on the water in a flood zone - you will not be affected by hurricanes any more than being inland. Remember, inland areas can have flood zones too.

I would also check out downtown Milford, the denser areas of Stratford, and the Black Rock area of Bridgeport. I know someone that gets around downtown Milford without a car much of the week. You have to walk to ShopRite for groceries, which is a bit of a walk, but there are sidewalks. Most of your essentials are nearby and the commuter train is always there. It's not convenient like a real city though.

But if you are not going to have a car, New Haven is really your only bet. You could make Stamford work without a car but it's very expensive. I would forget about New Milford unless you get a car and don't mind being in a quieter, rural area.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Welcome to Connecticut!

Where will you & your S.O. be working?

Torrington has a newer strip of big box and retail stores along Route 202 - Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot (right over the border in New Hartford), CVS, Walgreens, Stop & Shop (grocery), BJ's Wholesale Club, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Petco, chain restaurants (Panera, Starbucks,etc) and others.

If there is a bus that runs along 202 (no idea if there is), this could be easily do-able. It's not downtown Torrington, but people from western Avon, Unionville & western Simsbury and Canton sometimes go up to Torrington for their big box needs instead of Bristol or West Hartford, and the area is pretty busy. Not nightlife busy, but shopping busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut