Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

JViello - I think that is because many of these smaller towns have their own identity and a history that is longer and just as strong as the city they are near. Why say you live in Hartford when you actually live in Wethersfield which is a town that dates back to the 1600's? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
JViello - I think that is because many of these smaller towns have their own identity and a history that is longer and just as strong as the city they are near. Why say you live in Hartford when you actually live in Wethersfield which is a town that dates back to the 1600's? Jay
Because you are part of the larger metro area and Hartford is the core. People in Alpharetta (A place with it's own identity for sure.) say to others outside the area that they are from Atlanta.

Someone from South Windsor generally wouldn't be caught dead saying they are from "Hartford".

It's what happens around the rest of the country Jay...I'm not sure why that bothers you or what part you contest.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
There could be a few reasons why this occurs more in Connecticut:

1) the population of the towns immediately surrounding the city have a greater aggregate population than the city;

2) the suburbs are established (as JayCT mentioned);

3) our cities are in transition.

Point #1
In New York state, residents of the capital region will identify themselves as residents of Troy, Schenectady, etc. As a matter of fact, sometimes smaller cities are known as one of several: Schenectady-Albany-Troy or Binghamton-Endicott-Johnson City.

Point #2
In greater Atlanta, many of these suburbs were non-existent in the '70s. Atlanta has instant recognition.

Point #3
In Michigan, no one lives in Flint or Detroit!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Because you are part of the larger metro area and Hartford is the core. People in Alpharetta (A place with it's own identity for sure.) say to others outside the area that they are from Atlanta.

Someone from South Windsor generally wouldn't be caught dead saying they are from "Hartford".

It's what happens around the rest of the country Jay...I'm not sure why that bothers you or what part you contest.
Different strokes for different folks.
Many people in Ct. don't use the name of their town, let alone say the name of the metro city nearest them(i.e.: "I live in Huntington(Shelton), Black Rock(Bpt.), Mystic,etc.").

Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
Many people in Ct. don't use the name of their town, let alone say the name of the metro city nearest them
This is definetly true as well! I've seen folks just say "I'm from kinettakit" and you can see the folks on the other end trail off into some Hollywood Christmas in CT Utopia in their mind. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut