Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 13,266 times

Advertisements

I work from home and am looking to buy in CT as a first time home buyer. I live in North Guilford now with my girlfriend and we need a bigger place.

I feel as though I have too many choices and am trying to narrow it down. Some of the other posts in this forum have been *very* helpful, but I guess I need more details.

I realize Darien and Westport would be ideal, but I think I'm short about $2 million. Our budget is around $325K and I'd like to be close to I-95/15 as I "commute" to NYC and Boston when needed.

We're a young professional couple looking for a SFH or condo (min 2BR) in a low crime area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoseff View Post
I work from home and am looking to buy in CT as a first time home buyer. I live in North Guilford now with my girlfriend and we need a bigger place.

I feel as though I have too many choices and am trying to narrow it down. Some of the other posts in this forum have been *very* helpful, but I guess I need more details.

I realize Darien and Westport would be ideal, but I think I'm short about $2 million. Our budget is around $325K and I'd like to be close to I-95/15 as I "commute" to NYC and Boston when needed.

We're a young professional couple looking for a SFH or condo (min 2BR) in a low crime area. Any suggestions?
Norwalk might be a viable option for you. It's a city but it's a smallish city (approx 80,000) and relatively safe and there's lots to do here - especially in South Norwalk (or as it's increasingly called, SoNo ) Stamford might provide you with something in your price range. It's very safe (ranked 3rd safest in US in 2007), with lots of corporate headquarters here, a booming downtown and many housing options, but the cost of living can be lethal here. You will see what I mean if you resarch this city.
If you want a more suburban location, you may enjoy Fairfield. It's a very nice, very preppy, very old-money (and expensive) town. You should be able to find something within your price range.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM

184 posts, read 842,753 times
I think in Stamford, Norwalk, and Fairfield you could get a condo for $325K. Or a serious fixxer-upper. Which may be fine for the OP.

You'll get way more bang for the buck in Milford, and still have the nice seaside town and location you need. Then it's also easy access to New Haven for the Boston train.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
If you are planning on having kids and schools are important then Fairfield would be good. It has excellent schools, parks and a lot of stores and restaurants. You should be able to find something in your price range. Another option would be Stratford or Milford. Both nice towns with good schools and access to New York. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM

83 posts, read 226,645 times
I'm very partial to West Hartford for a number of reasons, although for your purposes I'd think it is probably too far away from NYC.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoseff View Post

If I could live anywhere in the state...it would probably be in the Northwest Corner or the lower CT River Valley. (Chester, Essex, Old Lyme etc).

When I go to Chester I feel like I should leave right away so I don't screw up the town...it's a freakin Kinkade painting in real time/life.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,616 times
Best bang for your money is probably Stratford and then Milford. There is also Trumbull but there is little there in the form of condos. If no kids soon, maybe check the Black Rock section of Bridgeport-I wish I had as it seems fun and walkable. Fairfield has a number of fixer uppers for around 300K but they go fast and usually need a ton of work. It also has a bunch of condos available, including my own, below 300K that are nice . Just keep in mind that this price range in ff is always far away from the Metro North. Good luck with your search!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 PM

49 posts, read 200,137 times
I'm biased being a life long resident, but I'd stay right here in Branford.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Stonington and Wethersfield.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 AM

9 posts, read 13,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uctalum01 View Post
I'm biased being a life long resident, but I'd stay right here in Branford.
I really like the shoreline area (if for no other reason than the Durham Fair ), and it's centrally located to NYC and Boston (~2hrs to each city; 3 during rush hour). I'm just trying to keep an open mind.

I looked around New Haven and everywhere I looked, including Westville was crime ridden. Several of my friends have had their cars broken into for their GPS systems or even their change. My girlfriend had her Jeep broken into twice and it was in a "secure" parking lot. I never had one problem with crime in Manhattan and I'm looking for the same level of comfort.

If I'm going to pay $250+ for a 2BR SFH or condo along the shorline *without* being close to the water (read: a few blocks), I may as well look in Fairfield too. <--- this is my logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut