Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 PM

18 posts, read 78,132 times

Advertisements

hi guys, my wife and I are newlyweds possibly relocating from upstate NY (Buffalo) to Connecticut. We have 2 dogs and need space, and want a town with good schools should we have kids. We do not want an urban town and don't mind driving far for stuff.

Im working in Fairfield county (Danbury) and my wife will probably do some work in Hamden where she has relatives. What are some good rural towns in between Dabury and Hamden where we can get a house for $300k. CT seems so expensive and Im hoping we dont have to stretch that figure. We are ok with a 2 bedroom house as long as it has land. Looks like Seymour is about half way and Beacon Falls. Any information is great since we havent ever been there.

Oh yeah, no condos!!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Seymour and Beacon Falls are both good towns to consider....a little closer to Hamden than Danbury though so your wife would have an easier commute. Other towns you can consider are Naugatuck and Ansonia (not too rural) or Monroe and Oxford (both fairly rural but a little more pricey). Shelton has some rural parts too but can be pricey as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 78,132 times
Cool thanks. Found a nice listing in Beacon Falls, is that a good town?

Are people from CT as snotty as Ive heard? Dont take this the wrong way, lol

How much snow do u guys get? What are living expenses?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 13,447 times
I lived in the area (Southbury) and drove to both New Haven and Danbury at various times on a regular basis. I remember the commute on 84 to Danbury being not so great as at times the traffic could get ugly. Getting to the New Haven/Hamden area wasn't as bad as there were different backroads that you could take to make the travel easier. Personally, I'd rather drive slower without traffic than sit on a highway. I'd suggest trying to get a little closer to the Danbury area but the prices are higher. Might want to consider renting to check it out. The atmosphere of CT towns really varies within a 10 mile radius. Some are more rural in their outlook, others still have a 1950s manufacturing vibe and others are geared towards being a typical suburb.

I've heard Beacon Falls is OK. Seymour, Naugatuck and Ansonia aren't ideal if you're looking for the rural "country" CT experience.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyson83 View Post
hi guys, my wife and I are newlyweds possibly relocating from upstate NY (Buffalo) to Connecticut. We have 2 dogs and need space, and want a town with good schools should we have kids. We do not want an urban town and don't mind driving far for stuff.

Im working in Fairfield county (Danbury) and my wife will probably do some work in Hamden where she has relatives. What are some good rural towns in between Dabury and Hamden where we can get a house for $300k. CT seems so expensive and Im hoping we dont have to stretch that figure. We are ok with a 2 bedroom house as long as it has land. Looks like Seymour is about half way and Beacon Falls. Any information is great since we havent ever been there.

Oh yeah, no condos!!!! Thanks
You will want to be as close to Danbury as possible for commuting purposes. I'd start with Oxford, then Seymour, Beacon Falls, Prospect and maybe even Middlebury/Southbury.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
There are only a handful of homes in Monroe under 300k, and they need extensive work. And while most of the homes in Monroe are on one+ acre lots, there are a small percentage on less land, and those would be the ones under 300k. And I agree that the "Valley" area of Ansonia/Seymour might not be rural enough for you. Oxford is somewhat less expensive than Monroe, but you would still be getting a fixer-upper. Both Monroe and Oxford are worth looking into though, and Oxford is more rural. Monroe has shopping centers limited to two streets, with the rest of the town being residential, and Oxford does not have as many shopping options, although it does have some convenience stores and restaurants. Both Monroe and Oxford have very good school systems. I'm not sure about the parks in Oxford, it does border Lake Zoar. Monroe has large parks on several hundred acres, offering a town pool, lake, tennis, playgrounds, basketball, hiking, camping, etc. And the indoor pool at the high school is open to the public. Also, the town recreation department offers extensive programs and camps for kids.

Your money would go further in New Milford, north of Danbury, though. There are some rural areas in the town, and the town borders Lake Candlewood which is a large lake. New Milford schools are good. However, I'm not sure how the commute to Hamden from New Milford would be. Good luck!

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-02-2008 at 05:52 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
If you don't mind a fixer upper, then Monroe, Southbury, Middlebury and Oxford are great towns to consider with great schools. Southbury has a dog park that is very popular, and the town's spread out Main Street is very dog friendly with sidewalks.

If you want a little more house for your money, then Beacon Falls, Seymour, Ansonia and Derby are good. You can find some rural areas of Seymour and Beacon Falls, but that's harder to come by in Derby/Ansonia. Don't forget about Shelton, too.

I somewhat agree with being a little closer to Danbury because of rush hour traffic on 84 (that is, if you will be commuting during rush hour). Going to Hamden you'll be mostly on two lane state roads except for hopping on the parkway for a few exits through the tunnel. Nearer to Danbury, you might check out Sandy Hook (fairly rural section of Newtown), parts of Bethel and the Lakeside section of Southbury which has many cottages along the lake.

Another option is Hamden itself. It's quite a drive to Danbury (50 min) but if you don't mind the commute, it is a great town just north of New Haven. There are some rural parts of Hamden but most of the town is suburban, and there are many parks where you can take your dogs.

Good luck, come back with anymore questions.

Editing -

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post these, but here are some listings in your price range

Oxford

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=81917&typ=1&sid=f79cde092a 79464bb64d24d65a5b1a97&lid=1100095280&lsn=8&srcnt= 200#Detail (broken link)

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=81917&typ=1&sid=f79cde092a 79464bb64d24d65a5b1a97&pg=2&lid=1099341614&lsn=19& srcnt=200#Detail (broken link)

Monroe

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=2000018&typ=1&sid=fe7f3f08 900d442dba093cd3374c5b55&lid=1101136490&lsn=5&srcn t=184#Detail (broken link)

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=2000018&typ=1&sid=fe7f3f08 900d442dba093cd3374c5b55&lid=1098097935&lsn=7&srcn t=184#Detail (broken link)

Seymour

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=2000010&typ=1&sid=14ad4e65 f7c44ae0b9d0cb3977786045&pg=3&lid=1101525309&lsn=3 0&srcnt=544#Detail (broken link)

Sandy Hook

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=77702&typ=1&sid=5273c3b073 c44953ad86c621450685b0&pg=2&lid=1101264509&lsn=11& srcnt=146#Detail (broken link)

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-02-2008 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM

184 posts, read 842,951 times
The mention of Sandy Hook prompts me to suggest anywhere along Route 34. Easy in to the greater New Haven area, and also not bad access to Danbury.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM

10,083 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seymour and Beacon Falls are both good towns to consider....a little closer to Hamden than Danbury though so your wife would have an easier commute. Other towns you can consider are Naugatuck and Ansonia (not too rural) or Monroe and Oxford (both fairly rural but a little more pricey). Shelton has some rural parts too but can be pricey as well.
I don't know about Beacon Falls--I've been there several times, and it is so "in the middle of nowhere," as far as CT is concerned...it seems so "backward and simple." I was shocked...there's even a metro north train stop there, but it is unbelievably uncultured.
My partner taught at Woodland High School for 3/4 of the year...he quickly exited, as in his words the kids there "were zombies." It's a pretty conservative and uncultured little spot. Although visually it is very pretty...probably cheaper house prices too.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyson83 View Post

Are people from CT as snotty as Ive heard? Dont take this the wrong way, lol
Where did you hear we CT natives were snotty? This has been asked and answered over and over, NO NO NO we are not snotty. Most often you will find your neighbors will mind their own business and try not be to nosy. That is just how it is, but that is not snotty. We aren't peering into the windows to see your furniture, or running up to play 20 questions in an amateur attempt at sleuthing out your private life or resume.

There is not any real "Welcome Wagon" organization that is actively showing up at homes once the moving van pulls up, so don't expect to be jumped on by the locals. It is mostly been up to the newcomers to stop wave and say "Hi", as it is the general assumption here that you want your privacy, unless you do the opening up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut