Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 22,290 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to narrow my search down to 2 cities or towns in Connecticut where I can find a reasonable priced house on a 1 - 1.5 acre lot. I do not want to live in a neighborhood where the houses are close together. I'm considering Manchester, Vernon, Cheshire, Astonia, or Middletown. Out of the cities listed, where would I most likely find what I'm looking for? Thanks and I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 02:40 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,760,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdweller View Post
I'm trying to narrow my search down to 2 cities or towns in Connecticut where I can find a reasonable priced house on a 1 - 1.5 acre lot. I do not want to live in a neighborhood where the houses are close together. I'm considering Manchester, Vernon, Cheshire, Ansonia, or Middletown. Out of the cities listed, where would I most likely find what I'm looking for? Thanks and I appreciate your input.
Wow...there is a lot of variety among the towns listed. First things first. What do you considered "affordable"? Secondly, other than the size of the lot, what are important features you require in the actual house?

I had similar criteria to yours when I purchased/built back in 2002. I didn't want street lights, sidewalks, or lots of children near by. (I am in Cheshire.)

Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,027,584 times
Just my 2 cents worth;

Vernon and Cheshire would have the greatest number of houses/lots that size. Price wise- Vernon will be far cheaper. Manchester cheaper still- Middletown vicinity would be next.

Vernon has a number of newer homes and even new homes for the lot sizes you specified. House where priced from 275K and up for 1400 square feet and up.

In Manchester- lots of that size come with large homes- priced from 375K and up.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 22,290 times
Rich Lee,

LOL, being a NYC resident I can't imagine living in an area without street lights. I've seen neighborhoods without sidewalks in Danberry so I can relate to this. My definition of an affordable house is $250 - 400K. I personally prefer ranch or raised ranch style houses but I'm open to other house styles. I prefer a neighborhood that is relatively quiet and clean. I'm definitely looking to live somewhere safe and with a good public school system.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:36 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,027,584 times
In nearby Ellington CT- A new raised ranch on 1 acre 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths 3 car garage central air- very private acre. 1850 square feet 285K
Ellington is near Manchester for great shopping- but a more semi suburban town.Close proximity to Hartford- I live 1 mile from Ellington here in Vernon.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:30 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,760,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdweller View Post
Rich Lee,

LOL, being a NYC resident I can't imagine living in an area without street lights. I've seen neighborhoods without sidewalks in Danbury so I can relate to this. My definition of an affordable house is $250 - 400K. I personally prefer ranch or raised ranch style houses but I'm open to other house styles. I prefer a neighborhood that is relatively quiet and clean. I'm definitely looking to live somewhere safe and with a good public school system.
Hi nycdweller,

Are you saying that you can't live without street lights or can't imagine that places exist without them?

That price range would get you a Ranch or Raised Ranch or Split in Cheshire. However, lot sizes for these styles of houses are often half an acre or smaller since these were the predominant style(s) of neighborhood (tract) construction during the '50s - '70s.

This is pretty much the scenario throughout Fairfield, Hartford, and New Haven Counties (high population areas).

What are your reasons for leaving New York? Also, what role will NYC play in your life after you leave? How far away are you willing to live from the City?

Rich

Last edited by Rich Lee; 02-18-2007 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Additional questions added

Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 28,438 times
Try looking in Bolton. They have nice size lots. They do not have sidewalks on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut