Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM

269 posts, read 607,793 times

Advertisements

I was just reading yesterday that the water quality at CT's beaches ranks as one of the country's worst. I think CT's beaches are an undiscovered gem and I love setting up a chair and umbrella with a good book and something frosty to drink in my hand. But having said that, I won't swim in the Sound. I know it's come a long way in terms of cleanliness but the bacteria levels are just too high too often for me to feel comfortable going in for a dip.

Report ranks Connecticut low in beach quality - Connecticut Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Yep - we ranked 26 of 30 states with beaches in a water quality report.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Our sewage treatment plants are overloaded. I'm not even sure it takes a heavy rain these days to result in run off. Debris is down in the sound, but bacteria is unfortunately up. Truly disappointing.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,992 times
Wondering if you had a chance to visit Tod's Point in Old Greenwich. It is absolutely stunning.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Been there many times- stunning but being "downstream" I would never swim in it!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM

73 posts, read 259,533 times
I haven't looked at this thread in a long, long time, and now I'm sorry I took another look. For all of you who are saying you won't swim in the sound: are you saying you don't trust the DEP rulings on when the beaches are closed and open?

We've been swimming at Hammonasset a lot lately, and we shower off as soon as we get home. I don't think I am risking my health.

By the way, I lived at the Jersey shore for 5 years, and I can tell you this: I used to see used needles and condoms floating in on the waves .... which I've never seen here. So those of you who think the grass is greener at the NJ beaches: feel free to drive through that insane traffic to get to.......what?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM

519 posts, read 744,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westguy22 View Post
The beaches in CT are nice, but IMO, the water is very murky and has a lot of seaweed. As a seasonal boater on the sound, my family (and most of the other boaters in our marina) stray from swimming even out in the middle where the water is probably a little cleaner. The water in the marina is disgusting, but that's to be expected.

I'd have to disagree with the poster who said CT beaches are crowded. Try finding a parking spot in RI, Long Island or NJ during the summer months. In CT, it's relatively easy.

Stay away from beaches in Greenwich and Westport (such as Greenwich Point and Compo Beach) because they charge high fees to obtain a daily beach pass. This excludes Sherwood Island.

I live in Greenwich but never been to the beach here but I go to Compo Beach off season because (at least I know of) they don't close the beach at dusk so I can do out and take pictures over the water.

I don't know of any other beach here in CT that allows that.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
I don't know of any other beach here in CT that allows that.
Every single beach in my town (Milford) lets you go on the town beaches at night. Gulf Beach is a popular sunset photographing spot. I'm sure it's the same on many other town beaches. The only one that closes is the state park and technically the Audubon Center beach (which is stunning), but you can still get on it and it's not blocked off. In fact, their hours probably only pertain to the building.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM

519 posts, read 744,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Every single beach in my town (Milford) lets you go on the town beaches at night. Gulf Beach is a popular sunset photographing spot. I'm sure it's the same on many other town beaches. The only one that closes is the state park and technically the Audubon Center beach (which is stunning), but you can still get on it and it's not blocked off. In fact, their hours probably only pertain to the building.
As far as I know here in Greenwich everything is closed at dusk.. I remember getting in trouble in Bruce park and being asked to leave.. I've never been to the beaches here despite being here for 6 years so I can't say how it is but from what I hear it's the same policy as the parks they close at dusk.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
As far as I know here in Greenwich everything is closed at dusk.. I remember getting in trouble in Bruce park and being asked to leave.. I've never been to the beaches here despite being here for 6 years so I can't say how it is but from what I hear it's the same policy as the parks they close at dusk.
Not surprising. Beach policies tend to get a lot more laid back as you go east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut