Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,121 times

Advertisements

Those of us Seymourites who don't feel like driving miles to access another supermarket are forced to shop at Stop&Shop. Pricey, but the only game in town; We'd have to drive to Ansonia to get to BigY or ShopRite; we could also go to Shelton (10 exits down Rte 8) if we want a Shaws. We'd love to have options, but there just aren't any. I think there's another grocer in Naugatuck, but again we don't want to have to drive all the way up to exit 25.

We've read somewhere (forget where right now) that Stop&Shop has actually bought shopping centers under subsidiary names, and are keeping them vacant to guarantee they don't have competition in some areas. The trick is figuring out if the center really is Stop&Shop owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
We've read somewhere (forget where right now) that Stop&Shop has actually bought shopping centers under subsidiary names, and are keeping them vacant to guarantee they don't have competition in some areas. The trick is figuring out if the center really is Stop&Shop owned.
That's what I heard. When the Shop Rite in Middletown closed, Stop & Shop allegedly signed a lease and kept the store vacant. Ironically, there's an A&P across the street, and they're not complaining.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
4. Shaws: Are they really still in business???
I've wondered that, too, with so many closing (Waterbury, Southington, New Britain). Whenever I go there specifically for sale items, many times I find that the sale included everything but the style or flavor that I want (especially soda).

Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 AM

I'm surprised that no one has listed Xpect Discounts. Who else sells fridge packs of Tab (Cromwell store)!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Yep, i've mentioned this before actually.//www.city-data.com/forum/5897620-post92.html

They're a really shrewd company, IMHO. Drive everyone out, and then raise your prices sky-high once you've cornered the market. Too many people seem fixated on the discounted gas prices when you spend a certain amount of money. For those stores that do not sell gas, i really don't see any incentive to shop there. You're paying the same prices at these locations, but not receiving a benefit that you can use at that location. I'm not going to shop at Stratford/Bridgeport/Trumbull/Shelton S&S's, and then drive to Milford or Ansonia to collect the gas "reward". For quite awhile, S&S was my favorite. It ranks pretty low on my list now.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I'm surprised that no one has listed Xpect Discounts. Who else sells fridge packs of Tab (Cromwell store)!
Xpect has seen better days, IMHO. Their stores(Milford and Derby, specifically) are dumps. Their prices have been gyrating quite a bit over the past year, also. I can shop in a "discount jobber" store if need be, but i'm just not a fan of this place. YMMV.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 12-31-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 AM

127 posts, read 521,188 times
How about Whole Foods? Love that place. Next would be Stew Leonards, Trader Joe's, and Stop and Shop is pretty good as well. Actually, Super Wal Mart is pretty decent though try finding a register without 50 people in line when it's time to cash out.

C Town is easily my least favorite.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
I wish we had Whole Foods around here, but we don't. I heard they are building one in Fairfield, though. We buy most of our meat from Stew Leonard's, the dry stuff from Wal-Mart (no Super Wal-Mart here), various foods from Trader Joe's, and most everything else from Big Y. I shop at the Big Y out of convenience, although I do like their produce. They are awfully expensive, though. There is no Shop Rite around here. Stop & Shop is coming to town next year, I'll do more shopping there. I actually like Stop & Shop.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM

429 posts, read 1,174,610 times
Stop and Shop is absolutely horrendous; the one in Colchester is the 2nd highest priced overall on the entire East Coast! (Only behind Orleans, MA). Go ShopRite!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Favorite Independent.
Highland Park Market Highland Park Market
Why? Simple. Think old fashioned market, combined with world foods. Guido (The guy in the commercials) wandering around the store making sure everything is what it's supposed to be. LOCAL fresh meats ( How many supermarkets in CT have localy raised buffalo or free range chicken or fish fresh from Boston that day? ), in-house cooked and packaged meals that are like home cooking but are still "heat and serve" (hey we've all had those busy times when it's nice to just warm and eat). In-house bakery that simply rocks...a deli section and staff that knows what a Pancetta sandwich tastes like and actually HAS it ready to purchase etc etc. That's the short of it.

Favorite "chain". Stop and shop. Prices be damned...they have it when the others don't. (Ever need Tomatillos on Christmas eve for a Tomatillo Horseradish cocktail sauce? They had them.) $10-$20 on a food bill is not where I care to scrimp. I'll find other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut