Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,325 times

Advertisements

(the 2 blocks directly across from the convention center)
does anybody know what's going on with this project? they've been at it since Nov but all i ever see them doing is digging holes, moving piles of dirt around, diggin more holes, moving more piles of dirt around, etc. i would think that by now construction on the new buildings would have begun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
(the 2 blocks directly across from the convention center)
does anybody know what's going on with this project? they've been at it since Nov but all i ever see them doing is digging holes, moving piles of dirt around, diggin more holes, moving more piles of dirt around, etc. i would think that by now construction on the new buildings would have begun.
Ah, the Front Street project that flys about as good as a penguin.

The project is a shadow of what it was once supposed to be. (Think Beale Street in Memphis but with two residential towers and many "store top" apartments etc.)

They started construction on Front Street (I *think* without STILL securing tenants) and have to remediate the soil at the old Connecticut Natural Gas headquarters site that was imploded about a decade ago for this project to get going...yes it's been that long.

So that's probably what you are seeing right now...soil remediation.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:16 PM

wasn't the old CNG location supposed to be used as the site for the Patriots stadium when that was still ago (it would be about 10 years ago)? no way those 2 blocks are/were big enough to hold the stadium - unless they were planning on building it across the street where the convention center is now (but wasn't then)..

Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
wasn't the old CNG location supposed to be used as the site for the Patriots stadium when that was still ago (it would be about 10 years ago)? no way those 2 blocks are/were big enough to hold the stadium - unless they were planning on building it across the street where the convention center is now (but wasn't then)..
Yea they rolled out the plans for the landing etc without being too sure if the convention center was going to be part of it, and when the Pats showed interested, the stadium replaced the convention center in the drawings.

I personally like the original vision Phoenix laid out back in 98' for the site. It was more of a "village" atmosphere and not just several big construction projects plopped down next to each other. I think a few to many hands got involved with it IMO.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
CNG was across Columbus from where Front Street is. The Convention Center is there now. It was suppose to be the site of the Patriots Stadium. Front street is now under construction but it is a much smaller version of what was oringally proposed. Too bad because it will not have a very urban character. Jay

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM

223 posts, read 1,172,937 times
The Front Street project has been on the table in various forms for over a decade now. Who knows if or when a mixed-use development will ever been built on the site? The current proposal has outlived its developer, Bradley Nitkin, who died a couple of weeks ago. It will probably outlive us all...

I think this space should have been turned into an attractive park or green space -- at least until there were some viable plans to construct something concrete. The site has been an eyesore ever since the Convention Center opened. This has been a shame since the Convention Center has drawn numerous people into Hartford from other places.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
CNG was across Columbus from where Front Street is. The Convention Center is there now. It was suppose to be the site of the Patriots Stadium. Front street is now under construction but it is a much smaller version of what was oringally proposed. Too bad because it will not have a very urban character. Jay
i have to ask.. why all the decontamination/remediation of the soil on the Other side of the street from where CNG was?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
This area is one of the oldest parts of Hartford. It has served numerous uses including industry which dumped pollutants into the soil. This is a common problem in industrial areas. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut