Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,200 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a condo and am considering the Westwood Condos (not apts) on Kane Street in West Hartford. The condos posted on the realtor websites are typically gorgeous with all the ammentities including granite, stainless steel appliances, etc. I was a renter on Oakwood and also did enjoy living in that area.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Westwood condos? I did notice that there are many on the market at any given time. Have fees recently gone up? Have assessments been increased? Is the exterior, gym, pool etc not kept up? Are people just afraid of the area?

I have read some previous posts and would really like constructive information, but DO NOT want to read a "bashing of Hartford" thread. I am not at all interested in living in suburbs of Hartford/WH due to urban sprawl, too family oriented, not walkable, too rural etc. I will accept the happenings that occur in any city in the US. I do like the Hartford/WH area and have lived in Philadelphia for 7 years so Hartford is not at all scary to me, even as a single woman.

Any information on the Westwood condos would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I do not think there is any problem with the area. It is pretty safe. I have a friend who lives on Oakwood and loves it. The only issue I know of there is that it is close to I-84 which can be noisy. Jay

Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 AM

625 posts, read 2,051,369 times
I've shown at Westwood several times, but my clients have ended up purchasing elsewhere (in other towns actually, mostly for commuting reasons).

It's nice to have a gated community, access to the pool, and fitness room. I do believe you need to pay extra for access to the fitness room though. Some units have a garage, others do not. I've found the space in the units I've shown to be well laid out and typically a good value for the square footage. Some of the units are very updated, others are not. I've found that depends on how long the owner has lived there and what their purpose was (owner occupied vs. renting out the unit).

I honestly don't know if condo fees or assessments have increased recently at Westwood. Elite Property manages the complex and they should be able to answer those questions. Typically you'll never see any financial documents on the complex's health until you have an accepted contract and the resale package has been presented to you. Condo complexes are private entities, so they're not keen on giving out that info to every person that asks. Frustrating I know, but just part of the process. You will have 5 business days to review the condo bylaws and financials once you receive the package and you have the opportunity to walk away from the contract at that time if it is not to your liking.

There are 160 units in the Westwood complex. At any time there are usually between 7-15 for sale, or between 5-10% of the units. I would not say that this is too many, particularly because of the price point of these units. They're usually a first time buyer opportunity, so there are always people that have been there for a few years that are looking to move up to their next home.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,200 times
Thanks you so much Amy! This information was very helpful! I am going maybe do a walk thru to get some more information. Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut