Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:50 PM

105 posts, read 356,476 times

Advertisements

Spoiled by laidback lifestyle on Gulf Coast - fishing, beach, barbecue, crawfish, assorted seafood, et al. Need to find a CT location that's close to water but not on ocean. Hurricane-weary, but still love the water. Don't need to work. Would Love home with acreage privacy. Love my current 3+-acre homestead. Would love something similar. I mind my own business. Enjoy sitting at the beach for stretches of time. Need safe environment, small town, good close-by medical facility. In perfect health but taking no chances. Don't like heavy traffic. Can do 300-700K without stress. Don't want big or tall house. Would like 4 bedrooms, at least 2.5 baths in energy efficient home. Have read on this very informative forum about NW CT - close to Berkshires. Seems appealing. Any suggestions of what towns to look at. Forgot to add low taxes. How much tax on a 2007 Volvo XC70?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 06:56 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Well do you want to be close to the ocean, or in the mountains? the North West area of connecticut is far from the ocean, considering that region lacks a highway system. For a "small" town near the water, safe, and close to hospitals look at Essex or Madison..But for a four bedroom house with 2.5 baths on 3 acres, you're looking at atleast $600,000 minimum

Last edited by glxyman21; 03-15-2007 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Close to water - rivers not ocean. Sitting right on the Gulf right now, but it gets ominous with every passing year. Acreage doesn't have to be 3+ but enough to shield me from neighbors. I love my privacy.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:25 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Iska

I understand your trepidation about the gulf coast and changing weather scenarios. I am not a Realtor (though I understand the local market in CT. I am a geographer.

Southeastern coastal Connecticut- inland 10-15 miles or so might fit your needs. And relieve your anxiety about storms.
Glxyman21 made some excellent suggestions. Essex, along the Connecticut river is a great town, voted recently as one of the best small towns to live in the country.

Also consider Ivoryton (even more sedate) Also Chester and Deep River- all these towns located on or near the Connecticut river- all are under 7,000 people with peace, low population density, low low traffic, no sprawl, strip malls etc. Plus have fine views of the hills and Connecticut river- there is however quick access to beaches on Long Island sound, and to the largest town nearby Middletown for shopping, great restaurants and culture.

North of New London, and south of Norwich, on the Thames River is the pleasant town of Gales Ferry. Housing in the state varies- in eastern inland Connecticut you can buy a new colonial with 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths on 2-3 acres, with a double garage, fireplace for $300K - in a peaceful sedate area.

In all of these places you should be able to find a homes on enough land for privacy. Auto's ARE taxed here- and on that vehicle- expect to pay about 750+ dollars a year.

I may also add I have a friend who is a Realtor- and it seems we have more then a few former Gulf Coast folks coming to CT. Good luck!

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-15-2007 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 07:31 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Essex is on the Connecticut river and has a marina right in downtown. It is more wooded and preserved, but still close to Middletown (shopping, hospitals, etc). You can also look at Oxford and Southbury (Southbury is a bit more built up) but I believe they're on the Housatonic River..As for tax on the Volvo..I'd say about $1,000..It depends on the town's tax rate, they tax it on 70% of the value.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Just quick-checked Chester and Essex. Really nice. Deep River (Saybrook), lower median income. Is the difference between Deep River and the other two great?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Deep River is lower median income- but by no means a bad place to live.
Property may be a bit less compared to Essex and Chester. Its just that Essex and Chester are very upscale in comparison-

Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 PM

Southbury and Oxford are closer to relatives. That's a plus. But years living in a quaint Gulf Coast town is what draws me to really small quaint towns. Since I discovered this great forum purely by accident two days ago, I've been charmed by posters' descriptions of NW CT. But Chester and Essex seem to fit the bill too.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:42 AM

glxyman21, skytrekker, nutmegger83, you guys are really very helpful. Thanks for all the leads.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 12,959 times
If you like boating & fishing, I'd recommend the Candlewood Lake area and the towns of New Milford, New Fairfield, Sherman & Brookfield. They're all very typical small New England towns, yet close to hospitals, shopping, etc. In many of them you can find homes on multi-acre lots on or near the water and there would be a good amount to choose from in your price range. It's a great place to be if you want to enjoy the water and the country, yet not be too far from civilization. You can find more information about the Candlewood Lake area here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlewood_LakeModerator cut: ..

Last edited by Marka; 03-16-2007 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut