Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times

Advertisements

CT Bound

I am pretty active on my condo association here- and I have talked to no one who has contacted Lyme disease here or have relatives that have.

I do not want to under estimate the issue- but I also doubt its a dirty little secret that people are in fear to talk about here.
And in all honesty I myself seldom am concerned about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 19,914 times
Post Deer ticks dont need deer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Lyme disease is a problem everywhere along the east coast of the USA- the incidence is slightly higher in CT- but not my a large margin. The deer tick is spreading everywhere. And is common along the west coast states.
Wherever there are deer- there will be Lyme disease.
The "Deer Tick" no longer needs deer to play & prey. They contract the disease from the HOST ANIMAL, the white footed mouse. You will find this little critter where there are no deer. Most commonly near rivers and streams, and in wetlands. Then the tick (usually larvae or nymph) feed on a larger animal...dogs, deer, humans. So, no deer, they will feed on us.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnMinCT View Post
The "Deer Tick" no longer needs deer to play & prey. They contract the disease from the HOST ANIMAL, the white footed mouse. You will find this little critter where there are no deer. Most commonly near rivers and streams, and in wetlands. Then the tick (usually larvae or nymph) feed on a larger animal...dogs, deer, humans. So, no deer, they will feed on us.
Thank you for the correction and information.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM

68 posts, read 254,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
adelmo - I wonder where all these people were when they got infected.
njguy,

If you read my thread you should be able to figure it out. My brother is a landscaper in Stamford, (self explanitory) my carpenter friend did not know he even had it until too late. And I believe I said our remodel home family cut down almost all their trees in their back yard in Greenwich. So, that's where they got lyme disease. Also the lady was inquiring about a move to CT. It has nothing to do with lyme in Delaware,NY,NJ,PA. If she inquired about those and other states I would not be able to comment because I don't have any info on those. She asked about CT and that's what we should inform her about.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 AM

17 posts, read 55,480 times
I didn't say people were scared to talk about it - it's just Not talked about which is a big difference. Many people don't know anything about it. There are many misconceptions. A film documentary called "Under Our Skin" is in production. Link is below.

Under Our Skin: The Untold Story of Lyme Disease

Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelmo View Post
njguy,

If you read my thread you should be able to figure it out. My brother is a landscaper in Stamford, (self explanitory) my carpenter friend did not know he even had it until too late. And I believe I said our remodel home family cut down almost all their trees in their back yard in Greenwich. So, that's where they got lyme disease. Also the lady was inquiring about a move to CT. It has nothing to do with lyme in Delaware,NY,NJ,PA. If she inquired about those and other states I would not be able to comment because I don't have any info on those. She asked about CT and that's what we should inform her about.
Well adelmo - I never liked to assume as assuming can be a dangerous thing depending on what. The later half that you wrote, lets just say that I'll keep it at "no comment". Thanks for the explanation on how they got it.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Tick Removal Tips

Please forward to anyone with children . Or hunters, etc!! Thanks!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And It really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, Etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball And let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after Which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice Because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It Worked!"

Please pass on; everyone needs this helpful hint.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Default Story of Lyme Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bound View Post
I didn't say people were scared to talk about it - it's just Not talked about which is a big difference. Many people don't know anything about it. There are many misconceptions. A film documentary called "Under Our Skin" is in production. Link is below.

Under Our Skin: The Untold Story of Lyme Disease
Thanks for that link. Worth repeating.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 AM

30 posts, read 130,770 times
WOW!!! Reading this thread it makes it seem like one has to worry about these ticks no matter what they do or where they go in CT!!

Am I correct in saying that one can get these ticks by just running ordinary daily errands or just going to work? Or having a backyard BBQ even if it's on a deck?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelforn View Post
Am I correct in saying that one can get these ticks by just running ordinary daily errands or just going to work? Or having a backyard BBQ even if it's on a deck?
It is possible, but not probable.

I know all of two people who have had it, and both spent prolonged periods in wooded areas. I am in my backyard all of the time, which backs into a mass of woods, and I have never had a problem. I also spend a lot of time in the woods (hiking, camping) and have never had a deer tick on me *knock on wood*. Chances are if you pick up a tick it will likely be in wooded areas or areas of taller grass or other vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut