Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 10,667 times

Advertisements

East Hartford or West Hartford?? That is the question...Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:50 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantian View Post
East Hartford or West Hartford?? That is the question...Any advice?
These are two very different towns. West Hartford is a mature diverse upscale suburb while East Hartford is a mature diverse working class community.

West Hartford can be pretty pricey and has one of the most admired downtown areas in the State. East Hartford is less expensive and has a more modest downtown area.

West Hartford schools perform well above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests. East Hartford schools generally perform under those same averages.

West Hartford has West Farms Mall and Blue Back Square, two of the regions largest and most upscale shopping centers. East Hartford has a Cabellas which is the region's largest outdoor sports store.

West Hartford is home to the University of Hartford, St. Joseph's College and a branch of UConn. East Hartford has Goodwin College which was originally a business school that has recently become accredited as a college.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Jay

Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
West Hartford would be my choice of those two but it depends what you're looking for.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
East Hartford is facing the same fate of many CT cities. A ghetto invasion.

Yep, I said it and I'm not taking it back. It's the truth.

The downtown was first to fall. The "decay" is starting to spread out from there.

There are some very nice neighborhoods still in East Hartford, and frankly I really feel for the folks living there watching the "wave" head towards them.

I really hope those neighborhoods hold out.

We are starting to experience it here in Manchester as well.

West Hartford so far, is not experiencing that due to the high entry fee to "get in".

As others have said, two different towns.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
It depends what you are looking for. EH might be a good place to start to "enter" the real estate market, but if you plan to have kids in the future you should consider moving to a better district or going private. The only real thing EH can offer is excellent location as far as access to highways, shopping, etc and affordable homes. There is limited retail in town so you will need to go elsewhere to shop. There are a few good restaurants left, but very few. The southeast and extreme north end offer the best neighborhoods. Probably want to avoid the central cooridor through town. WH will cost you more, but offers more shopping, restaurants and good schools if thats important to you. Access to highways is ok in WH, but depends where you live in town.

If you plan to rent, go to WH. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
East Hartford is facing the same fate of many CT cities. A ghetto invasion.

Yep, I said it and I'm not taking it back. It's the truth.

The downtown was first to fall. The "decay" is starting to spread out from there.

There are some very nice neighborhoods still in East Hartford, and frankly I really feel for the folks living there watching the "wave" head towards them.

I really hope those neighborhoods hold out.

We are starting to experience it here in Manchester as well.

West Hartford so far, is not experiencing that due to the high entry fee to "get in".

As others have said, two different towns.

Although I don't kno wut ur implying when u say "ghetto invasion", if it is what I think it might be, I'll say this.

There was a huge drug bust 2 weeks ago here at uconn. Guess where the kids were from? Same thing last April, all of the kids were from West Hartford. Not East Hartford, not waterbury, not hartford, West Hartford. In the incident last april, one of the kids had something like $3,000 worth of drugs on him.

I'm not trying to attack JViello on this, but I have to say this-remember, u cant judge a book by its cover.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
"Ghetto invasion" means that the trash from hartford is making its way (or has been making its way) over to EH and Manchester for some time now.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
"Ghetto invasion" means that the trash from hartford is making its way (or has been making its way) over to EH and Manchester for some time now.
Thank you.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Does the term have anything to do with race, income, or just the type of music that one listen to?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Does the term have anything to do with race, income, or just the type of music that one listen to?
It's not about race, but there are predominate "races" living in the ghetto. Not making judgements, just stating facts.

Income is a factor. Yes. That's more how we "divide" in CT more than "race".

It's obvious that not only people from the "ghetto" listen to a certain type of music, but it's generally found more there.

I'm not getting your points, unless you are trying to bait.

Call a spade a spade. Ghetto trash is ghetto trash. It's obvious - very obvious how a town like East Hartford has changed, and where the influence has come from and it's not a postive one. Manchester is now facing similar issues.

You're probably not in that classification yourself even though you probably think you are being judged as such.

I just tried to "Google street view" my neighborhood in Waterbury I grew up in to give you an idea of where I came from myself and it's not available. They didn't go there. Probably afraid to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut