Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroboi8907 View Post
ugh. I think it is sad that you would portray Bridgeport in such a negative light. It boggles my mind as to how people that don't live in BRIDGEPORT have so much to say about not only the people that live here, but would also like a say as to how we develop OUR open space. First off, not everyone in Bridgeport is poor and the "Shopping Center" that would be built is to bring money into Bridgeport from other places, such as Fairfield, Trumbull, Shelton and Stratford. The purpose of developing any area is to attractive NEW money. Therefore, it is not only about what people in Bridgeport can afford, but what they will like to buy. The major opposers to the "shopping complex" would be those in Trumbull, where the Westfield mall is located. They will most certainly lose business.

I am quite young and can remember when Steele Point was a neighborhood. It was where my great grandparents lived before the city decided to steal the entire neighborhood by eminate domain. Therefore this is a touchy subject and would appreciate if people would not make judgements on the basis of a few news stories. Thank you.
Just because I don't live in Bridgeport, doesn't mean I don't have an opinion regarding the area. I am a huge proponent for smart development in Bridgeport. I don't think this project is the best it can be--if it comes to fruition. I certainly hope it does happen. I absolutely am a big fan of Bridgeport's neighborhoods and potential--I'm actually looking to invest in some homes there in the future. A mall down there is not only the wrong type of shopping for that area, but it is not the direction "smart" development should go in.
I think street-level stores with apartments and condos above that rise no higher than 6 stories is ideal. Dense, yet not overwhelming from a human scale. Make the neighborhood focus around the waterfront and history of the waterfront--not making the neighborhood's focus a mall with glass towers half empty. Ugh...that's the last thing they need, and such mid 20th century thinking in terms of development.
Let's just hope if the land gets developed, it's not something that's "half-a**."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I actually think that the reverse would occur. I think Westfield Trumbull would see an increase in business, because those suburbanites would be under the impression that the "undesirables" would hang out at Steel Pointe, rather than Westfield. I'm basing this judgement on past history of what Westfield Trumbull was like when the Crossroads/Hi-Ho Mall was operating.

I do wish the city well, whichever path they eventually take with this parcel.
It is highly unlikely that what is built at Steel Point will be anything like a suburban shopping mall from mid-20th century. The market is just not there anymore for that type of development. There are few major department stores left and the ones that are, are struggling. The retail compnonent will most likely be what jjbradly described. A mixed use open air center with stores at street level and offices or housing above.

As for Trumbull Shopping Park (I don't care what the morons at Westfield call it, it will always be Trumbull Shopping Park), the problem there is the owner, Westfield. Their marketing aand tenant mix almost assures that this once fashionable center will attract riff-raff. They have consistantly sought to cheapen this center in anyway they can. They do this with all of their centers. Westfield lacks vision for their properties. They just try to fill as much space as possible with any store they can find. It does not do much for the shopping experience. No wonder the American shoppping mall is dying. JMHO, Jay

Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 154,091 times
I'm starting to think that the project is not going to be built.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Removed link address

Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 AM

73 posts, read 244,216 times
As far as the port side of things go in Bridgeport the state promissed to dredge the port in BPT and New Haven a few years ago. Guess what? Nothing happened. The port of BPT has one of the largest refridgerated warehouse operations in the Northeast but the port can no longer handle the most commonly used large sized ships since hasn't been dredged in years. That is why the importer Turbana moved down to Philly. I know people that used to work in the port, it is sad. This illustrates a larger problem this country has....we somehow think that government shouldn't invest in infrastructure. How many jobs could be created in New Haven and Bridgeport if the state dredged those ports???

Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,096 times
Well, I am Bridgeport resident, I proudly reside in downtown a block away from the boarded up storefronts on Main Street and I gotta say, this city is in dire need of something. I'm really tired of standing on the platform of the train station every morning and staring at that 52 acre plot of NOTHING across the river, they really need to do something with it. As a person who lives here, I would be more than happy to shop at a place like that proposed mall rather than driving myself up to friggin' Westfield anytime I need something that I should be able to buy in CT's largest city.

Whew...rant over, sorry...

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 PM

74 posts, read 152,390 times
Thumbs up This is promising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbounder View Post
I'm starting to think that the project is not going to be built.
Some major news on this projects today

403 Forbidden

"Hey, if a congressman pesters the federal secretary of transportation enough he just might cough up some goodies before the election. Secretary of Transportation Ray Lahood notified Congressman Jim Himes this morning that Bridgeport will receive $11 million to begin work on infrastructure and development of SteelPointe Harbor, the mixed-use East Side redevelopment project of Robert Christoph’s Bridgeport Landing Development."

Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 AM

679 posts, read 1,189,437 times
Any photo updates on the Steelpointe waterfront redevelopment project?

Steelpointe Harbor - Home

Infrastructure construction back in the Spring of 2013:

Steel Point fast becoming a reality - Connecticut Post

Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
March 2014 1-2 weeks ago. It Brass Pro Shop nothing is built yet they waiting on state bond money.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM

679 posts, read 1,189,437 times

Bridgeport's Steel Point Redevelopment Nears Launch
Building Is Set to Begin This Summer on Area's First Anchor

By JOSEPH DE AVILA
April 7, 2014 10:29 p.m. ET

Quote:
BRIDGEPORT, Conn.—In most cities, the sight of heavy construction vehicles rumbling down the street doesn't merit a second glance. But in Bridgeport's historic Steel Point neighborhood, it signals a sea change for a long-dormant civic dream.

Six Bridgeport mayors have sought to redevelop the 52-acre peninsula on Long Island Sound, named for a steel works that operated there for decades. The city and state combined have spent about $100 million on the venture over the past three decades, but those efforts have been slowed by property disputes, a corruption scandal and three recessions.

Bridgeport officials now say the fortunes of Steel Point will turn this summer when building begins on the area's first anchor, a 150,000-square-foot Bass Pro Shops, which sells boats and outdoor supplies.

The city plans to add other shops, hotels, a public waterfront and up to 2.6 million square feet of housing in a project estimated at $1 billion. To be sure, no deals have been cinched for the other elements, but Mayor Bill Finch said Bass Pro Shops would serve as a catalyst for what he describes as Bridgeport's biggest initiative since the Industrial Revolution.

"It's happening," he said.

Steel Point is wedged between the Pequonnock River and the Yellow Mill Channel with Interstate 95 running along its northern border and the Long Island Sound to the south.

The neighborhood was most recently home to a power plant, marinas, shellfish businesses and about 270 houses. Local legend Jim O'Rourke, a Hall of Fame baseball player credited with stroking the first hit in the history of the National League, once lived there.

Most of the neighborhood disappeared in a wave of eminent-domain acquisitions the city began in the 1990s. All that remains is one shellfish company that will be moved to a another part of Steel Point.

[...]

The decision to use eminent domain preceded Mr. Finch's administration, but he defended the move. "You have to look out for the greater good," he said. When fully built, the city estimates Steel Point homeowners and businesses will contribute $18.5 million in annual tax revenue.

Former Mayor Leonard Paoletta was the first to try to remake Steel Point in the early 1980s, though the project failed to advance for years. One of the biggest setbacks was a scandal involving former Mayor Joseph Ganim, who was convicted in 2003 on 16 charges that included receiving about $500,000 in bribes and kickbacks.

According to federal prosecutors, a group of developers promised to raise $500,000 for Mr. Ganim's anticipated gubernatorial campaign in exchange for allowing them to develop Steel Point. But that deal fell apart when the developers came under the scrutiny of federal law enforcement, and no money ever changed hands.

"People lost their sense of trust in the political community," said Paul Timpanelli, chief executive of the Bridgeport Regional Business Council.

Getting the project started will help change the perception that nothing ever happens in Bridgeport, Mr. Timpanelli added.

"We may have suffered a few delays in getting closer to the goal line because of the political upheaval," said Bob Christoph, founder of RCI Group, a Miami developer tapped by the city to oversee the project. But that turmoil, he added, was "no fault of our own."

Bass Pro is scheduled to open its doors in 2015. The retailer's founder, John Morris, said he wasn't bothered by Steel Point's "struggles in the past" and was attracted to its access to the Long Island Sound and the large population of potential customers who live within 50 miles.

Mr. Christoph said RCI Group had been in discussions with other retailers about coming to Bridgeport. Hilton Worldwide Holdings and Marriott International Inc. MAR +0.34% have also approved hotels for Steel Point, he said. A representative for Hilton declined to comment, and Marriott didn't respond to requests for comment. Independent owner-operators, who would design and run the hotels, haven't signed agreements yet, he said.

The project's final component will include 1,200 to 1,400 homes, an as-yet undecided mix that could include apartments, condos and town homes.

In all, it could take another decade to finish the work at Steel Point, Mr. Christoph said.
That is a best-case scenario without additional hiccups or delays, which isn't guaranteed for a real-estate project of this size—or history.

Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch Kevin Hagen for The Wall Street Journal

Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
The city still did'nt pay for the $100 million of construction yet or the state did'nt approved the $22 million yet if that clear then Steel going up, I-95 have big traffic pomblems, Brass Pro Shop is still close is unsafe zones, How many people fish and hunt in Fairfield County.

Deer-herd-declining-in-Fairfield-County-4795522.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut