Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 15,614 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a farmers market around Harford. I recently moved from Atlanta and we had an International market, it a grocery store open all year round. You can find anything and everything that you need. everything is fresh and sooooooooo much cheaper than actual grocery stores. Does anyone know anything like that in CT? I'm looking for a place I can buy fresh veggetables and fruits.
The only thing I can find here is the seasonal markets they have during the summer. is there an actual farmers market where they sell fresh products all year round. PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Yes there are. There is the Regional Market on on Brainard Road in the South Meadows. They are open very early on weekend mornings. I also believe that there is a market downtown in the warmer weather. Other here may know more. I will look into it further later and post what I find. Jay

Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,009 times
You might also want to try Apple Tree at 490 New Park Ave. in West Hartford. They have all kinds of fruits and veggies at better prices than the local supermarkets. They also have a fish/seafood section.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,501 times
As far as I know the closest year round farmers' market to Hartford is in New Haven at Wooster Square. Can Jay give us more info about the Regional Market? I've been there in spring for plants and it didn't strike me as a place regular folk would go to buy produce, but maybe I'm wrong?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,009 times
I thought it was mostly restaurants that shopped at the Regional Market because they make you buy in bulk (ie- 20lb bags of onions, etc.)...

Old 03-20-2009, 06:09 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
May I point out that most of our local supermarkets ARE our famers markets?

More than not, the produce you'll find at places like Highland Park Market are all from local farms right down to local eggs, poultry, buffalo etc.

Farm-fresh produce

I've even seen a pickup truck (With CT plates) outside of Stop and Shop with the bed full of fresh picked corn being hauled inside and going directly on the display.

Granted not ALL produce is, but if you look for it, it's there - and more so in the small markets such as Highland Park. I think "Connecticut Grown" is the catch phrase they put on the labels for produce but even then you get great products from the other New England and NY/PA family farms as well.

For instance, Stonyfield Farms (Organic Yogurt etc) is a small farm in Londonderry New Hampshire. I met the owner up at the Big-E and can assure you, their products in the supermarket are from a "local farm".

Stonyfield Yogurt - About Us (http://www.stonyfield.com/AboutUs - broken link)

Same with a lot of meats and cheeses and what not. Just read the labels. You'll see Calabro Cheeses (Riccotta, Mozzarella etc) with a label "East Haven CT".

Or you might see a local chorizo with a label from Fall River MA or a Kielbasa from New Britain CT.

You just have to search around and know where to get what. Something as simple as Adam's Polish Foods in Vernon can provide you with on site made meat and foods.

Adam's Polish Food Polskie Delicatesy, Vernon, CT

Best of luck, don't get discouraged. We do things a little different around here, more old world style IMO instead of the "big box" style. Once you figure it out, you might find more than you hoped too.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,460 times
I work in the Windsor area. We have farmers that rent land from us (in season), and sell their produce to local grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut